New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#351 2004-11-08 08:12:17

Cobra Commander

Re: Presidential Elections - ...and other political discussion.

Cobra Commander, I have one question for you that I've intended to put for a long time. As a Fascist, doesn't this bother you at all?

Ugh! I think I just stepped in something.  big_smile

In response, I should first point out that over the past several years I've become "post-fascist" more than anything else, taking the parts that are still relevant/viable and discarding the rest. A work-in-progress to be sure, but if nothing else it's internally consistent for the most part.

That said, I do find Bush's globalist policies to be a cause for some concern. Yet while I would prefer American autarky, such a policy is not in the cards for a multitude of reasons, both practical and ideological. It would require too much direction and control to be politically viable in the US without significant changes, both legal and in the mindset of the people. That being the case, we have to either accept and compete in the global economy or fight it through tariffs and other such policies while still relying on it. The latter is the worst approach, and one we have yet to entirely abandon. In either case, with the way the US economy is currently structured and its place within the global economy, the President has very little control of economic conditions whatever globalist policies he pushes.

Yet even assuming a proper "Fascist" economic policy, there are still basic market forces that can't be escaped.

On an even more basic level, my lukewarm support for the Bush Administration is motivated as much by potential consequences as by intentional policy. We need to shake up our Parties here, Bush is looking like a good catalyst for fracturing both of them.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#352 2004-11-08 11:22:39

Gennaro

Thanks, Cobra. Believe I get a rough idea of your perspective on things. Maybe I should have anticipated the sense of your reply.

On an even more basic level, my lukewarm support for the Bush Administration is motivated as much by potential consequences as by intentional policy. We need to shake up our Parties here, Bush is looking like a good catalyst for fracturing both of them.

Hm, you're not obliged to answer because I don't imply anything in particular, yet why do I always get this impression of plans within plans... big_smile

#353 2004-11-08 11:55:00

BWhite

That whole global free trade stuff, means nothing to our economy. Bush has no effect on that at all.

...said Clark in a shower of sarcasm.

Cobra Commander, I have one question for you that I've intended to put for a long time. As a Fascist, doesn't this bother you at all?

When I was an undergraduate at the University of Chicago, precisely two individuals openly proclaimed themselves as fascists.

We mocked them incessantly, especially when they reached an agreement to alternate being Fuhrer.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#354 2004-11-08 12:45:35

Cobra Commander

When I was an undergraduate at the University of Chicago, precisely two individuals openly proclaimed themselves as fascists.

Ah, but they were Nazis. Not the same thing.  :;):

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#355 2004-11-09 06:59:14

DonPanic
Website

Ah, but they were Nazis. Not the same thing.  :;):

LO
Nazis end their lifes by shooting at themselves in a bunker
Fascists being hanged by feets

Erk  tongue

#356 2004-11-09 08:25:33

C M Edwards

How do post-fascists end their lives?   :laugh:

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#357 2004-11-09 08:56:22

Gennaro

Fascists being hanged by feets

Only because there are Commies about to achieve world revolution and commit massmurder of everyone suffering from remnants of a "bourgeois mentality".
Acts of utopian goodiness Fascist dictators generally do not engage in.

#358 2004-11-09 16:29:26

DonPanic
Website

LO

How do post-fascists end their lives?   :laugh:

Kept in deep coma thanks to therapeutic acharnment  tongue

#359 2004-11-10 06:21:27

Cobra Commander

Quote (C M Edwards @ Nov. 09 2004, 09:25)
How do post-fascists end their lives?   

Kept in deep coma thanks to therapeutic acharnment

Ah, drug the opposition. How wonderfully liberal.  :laugh:

Actually, I suspect the answer to CM's question is "old, bitter and right" but I'll let you know.  big_smile

#360 2004-11-11 03:15:00

DonPanic
Website

LO

Quote (C M Edwards @ Nov. 09 2004, 09:25)
How do post-fascists end their lives?   

Kept in deep coma thanks to therapeutic acharnment

Ah, drug the opposition. How wonderfully liberal.

HA HA, that's conservative bigots who forbid to unplug all the machines that keep in artificial life fascist dictators

#361 2004-11-11 08:54:46

Gennaro

HA HA, that's conservative bigots who forbid to unplug all the machines that keep in artificial life fascist dictators.

Well, what to say about this outpouring? Another example of successful conditioning?
???

(DonPanic, what on Earth are you talking about?)

#362 2004-11-11 13:02:35

Palomar

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … _nader]Can it, Ralph

*Grandstander.  :down:

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#363 2004-11-12 01:17:11

DonPanic
Website

LO

DonPanic, what on Earth are you talking about?

Franco

#364 2004-11-12 05:45:46

Cobra Commander

Quote (Gennaro @ Nov. 11 2004, 09:54)
DonPanic, what on Earth are you talking about?

Franco

Contrary to popular misconception, Franco wasn't a fascist.

Board footer