New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2004-09-18 19:18:25

Josh Cryer

Re: Presidential Elections - ...and other political discussion.

Hey guys, I figure it's getting that time where the United States presidential elections are becoming a hot topic around here, I was going to wait until Oct 1st to make this post, but what the hey.

I think it would be good for everyone to just throw their political discussion in here, this way other topics aren't going to wind up taken off topic for whatever reason. smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#2 2004-09-18 21:47:46

Josh Cryer

Okay, let's get this started.

A prediction. I believe that Kerry will lay waste to Bush during each and every debate. However, the news will not look upon him lightly, as he has the same problem as Gore did, and that is treating his press like crap.

Treat your press good, you'll get treated good. That plain and simple.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#3 2004-09-18 22:05:20

Trebuchet
Banned

Nah, Bush will trash Kerry in the debates. He's taking on someone even more stiff and fumblemouthed than himself (a miracle!)

Besides, nothing else has gone right for Kerry, why should this?

#4 2004-09-18 22:36:31

Martian Republic

I think a few weeks ago, George Bush was a shoe in and that John Kerry didn't have a chance. As far as John Kerry having the same problem that Al Gore had. John Kerry had the same campaign strategist that Al Gore had for his run for the Presidency. That campaign strategist ran a lack luster campaign for Al Gore and basically didn't put up a very good fight and basically laid down and gave the election to George Bush. But, two weeks ago "HE WAS FIRED AS CAMPAIGN MANAGER"! Now John Kerry got a new campaign strategy and campaign manager. Now John Kerry is going for the throat of George Bush, which is a good thing.

They also are asking Lyndon Larouche if he will support John Kerry since he can and has been able to rally the young people and Larouche said would, but he will do it on his terms and his way. Lyndon Larouche intends to overwhelm George Bush in the popular vote for a John Kerry victory. Now this probably doesn't excite most of your and most of you would probably just assume not knowing. But, if anybody remember FDR and policies he put into place and Lyndon Larouche is pigioned holed as an FDR faction of the Democratic Party. Of course Kennedy was from the FDR faction of the Democratic Party too. What impact that Lyndon Larouche will have on the Kerry Campaign or what kind of policies shift that might be made are still unknown. But, any policies shift that Lyndon may cause in the John Kerry Campaign will be in the direction that will like it to go in though. But, only time will tell in the end as to what impact Larouche has on John Kerry.

Larry,

#5 2004-09-18 22:56:00

Martian Republic

Nah, Bush will trash Kerry in the debates. He's taking on someone even more stiff and fumblemouthed than himself (a miracle!)

Besides, nothing else has gone right for Kerry, why should this?

You get George Bush away from the TelePrompTer with canned question and the answer coming up on TelePrompTer and George Bush is completely useless and barely literate. They have to train George Bush like you would train a dog for several hours to repeat his canned speech to even sound even half way intelligent. But, you take that stupid George Bush that has to defend his record on the economy where we have lost 2.5 million manufacturing jobs and George Bush illegal war in Iraq that immoral and violates the U.S. Constitution and is an impeachable offense and even a war crime committed against Iraq.

You take that George Bush, with that record in all our debate with John Kerry and John Kerry will take George Bush apart and that will before you even make the introduction to start the debate even.

Larry,

#6 2004-09-19 03:32:14

Trebuchet
Banned

:laugh: 

What a joke! Lyndon Larouche? Are you serious?

The Kerry campaign can't even keep Jersey in the blue column, and Kerry comes up with even lamer off-the-cuff answers to questions than Bush does. Which is why he's been avoiding reporters even more than Bush does...

The debates should be a new level of funny, in an entirely unintentional way. However, Bush would come out ahead because: A) People expect him to say strange things, unlike Kerry, and B) The stuff he says will be marginally less stupid than Senator Heisenberg's uncertain positions on issues.

#7 2004-09-19 03:40:10

Trebuchet
Banned

For those of you who don't know, Lyndon Larouche is a crackpot conspiracy theorist who is noted for his strange notions, such as his belief that the British Royal Family is out to get him, deciding that economic collapse was around the corner (so he formed the "National Committee of Labor Committees", which, in his view, would pick up the pieces afterwards), and so forth.

He's also been convicted of mail fraud.

Needless to say, he's somewhat of a loony, hence my attitude in the post above.

#8 2004-09-19 03:43:46

Trebuchet
Banned

To expand - the best thing Lyndon LaRouche could do for Kerry is stay as far away as possible.

#9 2004-09-19 11:02:53

Josh Cryer

I just don't think the Kerry campaign should underestimate the importance of treating the press good. He hasn't answered any questions to the traveling press for months, he doesn't talk to them or anything. Bush, however, will talk to his traveling press a lot, and treats them with a lot of respect.

There was a documentory made called "Journey's With George" which showed how the Bush people milked the press. It's a very very insightful look into running campaigns, imho.

--------

#10 2004-09-19 12:17:15

dicktice

You're all scaring me.
From north of the border, reelecting Bush & Company on the basis of Trebucht's: A) People expect him to say strange things, unlike Kerry, and B) The stuff he says will be marginally less stupid than Senator Heisenberg's uncertain positions on issues, seems insane.
Canadian's are asking: "Can Americans be that stupid?" (Not my words.)

#11 2004-09-19 13:04:53

Martian Republic

You're all scaring me.
From north of the border, reelecting Bush & Company on the basis of Trebucht's: A) People expect him to say strange things, unlike Kerry, and B) The stuff he says will be marginally less stupid than Senator Heisenberg's uncertain positions on issues, seems insane.

I hate to scare you, but about 5% to 10% of the U.S. population reserve the right to be stupid. They seem to think it there Constitutional right to be stupid.

But, we can only hope that it only 5% of the American Population that chooses to be stupid.

God help us if it much more than that.

Larry,

#12 2004-09-19 13:21:25

dicktice

Thanks, Larry. I'll sleep better tonight.
Dick

#13 2004-09-19 13:47:11

Palomar

*Is it November 3rd yet??!  :rant:

I hate election year.  :rant:

--Cindy   :;):

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#14 2004-09-19 13:59:21

C M Edwards

Josh, I don't have an attention span long enough to understand all the political newspeak.  Issues alone are hard enough for me to follow.  Please excuse me while I raise my head up out of the sand for a few minutes and ask: 

What is a candidate's "travelling press"? 

(It sounds like there's some collection of reporters stuck riding around on the bus with these guys for months.  Poor saps... )

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#15 2004-09-19 14:04:51

Trebuchet
Banned

You're all scaring me.

I did not say that's why they'll elect him. I said it's why he'd 'win' the debates, because he's facing an even lamer opponent. However, I'd definitely put my money on Bush winning for more or less similar reasons. As mediocre as Bush is, he's a distinct improvement on Senator Heisenkerry, who is all over the map on his positions and has yet to be consistent in anything but inconsistency. His lackluster Senate record and insane insistence on running on Vietnam isn't helping.

The majority of the people have decided there's only one serious candidate. The Democrats nominated Kerry - for what reason, God only knows. If they had nominated Gephardt, or Lieberman, then Bush wouldn't have had a prayer.

Instead, they served up Senator Softball, and Bush will bat in a stand-up double.

#16 2004-09-19 14:08:19

Trebuchet
Banned

Josh, I don't have an attention span long enough to understand all the political newspeak.  Issues alone are hard enough for me to follow.  Please excuse me while I raise my head up out of the sand for a few minutes and ask: 

What is a candidate's "travelling press"? 

(It sounds like there's some collection of reporters stuck riding around on the bus with these guys for months.  Poor saps... )

Yeah, that more or less is exactly what happens. There are a bunch of reporters with the lousy assignment of following the candidates around. Someone wrote a book about these reporters called 'The Boys On The Bus', which is about the reporters who followed Nixon and McGovern around. I remember there was a reference to a then-mysterious device known as a 'fax machine', which one of the reporters had, and which was the size of a suitcase. :laugh:

#17 2004-09-19 14:24:25

Euler

The majority of the people have decided there's only one serious candidate. The Democrats nominated Kerry - for what reason, God only knows. If they had nominated Gephardt, or Lieberman, then Bush wouldn't have had a prayer.

If they had nominated Gephardt or Lieberman, you would probably be saying that they should have nominated someone else like Kerry.  The Bush campaign team is very good at slinging mud, and anyone who runs against them will be made to look like a poor candidate.

#18 2004-09-19 14:41:54

Martian Republic

To expand - the best thing Lyndon LaRouche could do for Kerry is stay as far away as possible.

Believe it or not, the they are actually seeking Lyndon Larouche's support after the Democratic Convention. Lyndon Larouche and the Larouche Youth Movement or LYM just about turn tide in California in the Gray Davis and Arnold race for the recall. It was the Democratic Party in California that sacrificed Gray Davis governors race and everywhere the LYM mobilized and passed out literature, Gray Davis won in those areas. The two main areas that the LYM was concentrated in Los Angeles, Oakland bay area, Gray Davis won by almost 10% more votes. But, in the rest of California where they were not able to get, Arnold won and that was enough to carry the election for Arnold. When Ashcroft personally attacked a Mayor in Philadelphia and his popularity rating started going down, he turned to Larouche for help. He said, he will make sure that everyone will know this was a Larouche move and that he support Larouche. Lyndon Larouche deployed the LYM and that mayor won by about 10% over his challenger, because they knew this was John Ashcroft police state activity and voted against it. They also had about 100 LYM in the Boston Area during the Democratic Convention that were both singing Classical Music and passing out Lyndon Larouche's Pamphlet "A Real Democratic Platform for November 2004". He was also the one that put out the Pamphlet of: "CHILDREN OF SATIN I, II, III", that causing Dick Cheney so much problems and messed up the illusion of there invincibility too. Currently the LYM are being deployed to get out the vote and to get in the hands of people the "Real Democratic Platform for November 2004" that Lyndon Larouche put out as appeased to that piece of crap the DNC put out as the Democratic Platform. Larouche’s basic battle cry is it the economy stupid and illegal war in Iraq. And more pacifically it the physical economy where everything is collapsing or failing apart. The physical infrastructure of the United States is falling apart like dams, locks on river that make them navigable, bridges over river, water shortages in west where new water project needed to be started yesterday to solve the water problem today. Our transportation grid is falling apart too with air lines going out of business or ending there major area’s like Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, Amtrak is shutting down there service and even Greyhound is no longer running many areas either. It this process continues, this will be the United States as a modern nation.

This process needs to be reversed and those infrastructures need to be replaced with new equipment of a new 21 Century technology and not with 19th Century or even 20th Century technologies. You rebuild America with these new technologies like levitated trains, subway, plasma steel furnaces, nuclear power, nuclear power desalting plants for salt water. We need to have major water projects like NAWAPA to bring need water down rocky mountain trench to water the western part of the United States, either repair dam and/or new dams or replacement dams on the rivers in the United State or continue the FDR dam building projects.

To finish this off and to complete what Lyndon Larouche think that we should do. He say that we need a science driver and to do that you turn to space and new NASA projects. You deliberately pick some project that you want to accomplish in space, but which you don’t currently have the technology to do. Now you don’t want to pick something that too far outside your capability or it will be too far into the future before you could accomplish it and you will generally lose sight of your goal and stop doing it. So you define what you intend to do in 20 year and technologies you have to develop to accomplish that goal and 40 year goal and the technologies you have to develop to accomplish those goals. He support going back to the moon build a base with manufacturing plants and use the moon as a bread board for a Mars colony later. Also might build a small city of few thousand. That would be the first twenty year. The second twenty years he going to concentrate on Mars and he intends to build an entire city of maybe hundred thousand people as the National Goal of the United States.

Now that basically is what Lyndon Larouche stands for and what he and his organization has been doing along with the impact that they have been having. If Lyndon Larouche can break through with some of these policies and get John Kerry to pick them up, you will see an economic sift like that of either FDR or JFK for both down here and maybe even a new space effort by NASA.

Larry,

#19 2004-09-19 15:02:05

Martian Republic

If they had nominated Gephardt or Lieberman, you would probably be saying that they should have nominated someone else like Kerry.  The Bush campaign team is very good at slinging mud, and anyone who runs against them will be made to look like a poor candidate.

I agree with you on that.

Actually, I personally think that of the twelve dwarf of the Democratic Party, that John Kerry was probably the strongest of the twelve.

Actually this cartoon characterization of the candidate really convey my attitude about the candidates this year.

http://www.markfiore.com/animation/rove … overs.html

Larry,

#20 2004-09-19 15:12:45

Trebuchet
Banned

If they had nominated Gephardt or Lieberman, you would probably be saying that they should have nominated someone else like Kerry.  The Bush campaign team is very good at slinging mud, and anyone who runs against them will be made to look like a poor candidate

Actually, I had already made up my mind to vote for Lieberman, if they nominated him. The chance to give every ME government the finger at once by voting for a Jewish president was irresistible.

#21 2004-09-19 15:14:48

Trebuchet
Banned

:laugh: LaRouche! :laugh:

It'll never get old.

I suppose you can't convince his followers, but c'mon, he's a joke.

#22 2004-09-21 07:34:08

C M Edwards

The chance to give every ME government the finger at once by voting for a Jewish president was irresistible.

You're in luck!  Re-electing Dubya would do the same thing _and_ free up the president's Saturday's.   :;):

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#23 2004-10-15 12:33:35

Palomar

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … y_poll]GIs & their families trust Bush over Kerry, 69% to 24%

*I am a bit surprised.

But the margin is narrower as "average Americans" go, with Bush 50% to Kerry's 41%. 

--Cindy

P.S.:  Thanks, Bill, for the link to Syd Lieberman in the other thread ("Funding space")

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#24 2004-10-15 12:55:15

Cobra Commander

GIs & their families trust Bush over Kerry, 69% to 24%

*I am a bit surprised.

The military generally prefers Republicans, partly out of concern for their own financial security and partly because there is a general belief (not entirely unfounded) that they will be more likely to be sent into losing situations by Democrats, if they survive the budget cuts of course. 

I knew several people who chose not to re-enlist when Clinton was re-elected, for that reason. A sibling of mine, who was a flaming liberal before enlisting has recently informed me that the decision whether to re-enlist or not will depend heavily on whether Kerry is elected, with that contingency being a negative. The military believes in the mission far more than the general public. Perhaps it could have something to with having a closer view of the situation.  :;):

And since a large percentage of the military votes with absentee ballots instead of these newfangled unverifiable elec-tronic voodoo boxes, they might influence the election more than ususal.  :hm:

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#25 2004-10-15 14:20:12

BWhite

A http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs. … 6/1002]new story about the National Guard.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

Board footer