New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2004-06-29 06:02:52

atitarev

Re: Terraform Art/Pictures - Post artwork of terraformed worlds

http://www.germantown.k12.il.us/html/Venus.htm

Cool picture of a terraformed crater on the Moon at the bottom of the page. Not sure what it has to do with Venus.

This link is not working.

Anatoli Titarev

#27 2004-06-29 06:09:20

REB
Banned
Website

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#28 2004-06-29 06:11:25

REB
Banned
Website

http://www.germantown.k12.il.us/html/Ve … erraformed Moon crater

And here you go, so you don't have to cut and paste.

Scroll down to the bottom for the picture. Why they stuck this on a page about Venus, I do not know, but it is a cool picture.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#29 2004-06-29 06:18:24

atitarev

Thanks, REB smile

Copy and paste is easier and you can use HTTP button to paste your link and give it a name (you know this).  :;):

Yeah, funny picture - it's the Moon, not tVenus. They it was possible just to seed algae, when they thought Venusian atmosphere was only 5 bars. If it were bars there would be no need to change the pressure but the composition of the atmosphere, IMHO.

Anatoli Titarev

#30 2004-06-29 18:12:28

Shaun Barrett

Interesting picture of a domed crater on Luna, guys. Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen that one before. I love the striking contrast between the colourless desolation outside the dome and the vibrant colours of water and life inside it.
    At a rough guess, the dome looks about 20 or 30 kilometres across. Past experience of the kinds of theoretical implications of such a vast structure tell me the foundations holding the dome down will have to be colossal. A dome with a diameter of about 1 kilometre, containing a 500 millibar atmosphere, exerts an upward force of about 3.36 million tonnes [See Page 2 of 'Domed Habitats' on Page 3 of the 'Life Support Systems' Topic].
    Assuming that dome on the Moon is 20 kilometres across, the upward force of a 500 millibar atmosphere inside it will be over 1.62 billion tonnes!!
    That's gonna take some seriously massive (or massively strong) foundations - especially when any ballast you use weighs only 1/6th of what it would weigh on Earth! With this in mind, I don't honestly believe that big beautiful lunar dome is possible. Such a shame.
                                       sad

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#31 2004-06-30 07:32:45

karov

Interesting picture of a domed crater on Luna, guys. Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen that one before. I love the striking contrast between the colourless desolation outside the dome and the vibrant colours of water and life inside it.
    At a rough guess, the dome looks about 20 or 30 kilometres across. Past experience of the kinds of theoretical implications of such a vast structure tell me the foundations holding the dome down will have to be colossal. A dome with a diameter of about 1 kilometre, containing a 500 millibar atmosphere, exerts an upward force of about 3.36 million tonnes [See Page 2 of 'Domed Habitats' on Page 3 of the 'Life Support Systems' Topic].
    Assuming that dome on the Moon is 20 kilometres across, the upward force of a 500 millibar atmosphere inside it will be over 1.62 billion tonnes!!
    That's gonna take some seriously massive (or massively strong) foundations - especially when any ballast you use weighs only 1/6th of what it would weigh on Earth! With this in mind, I don't honestly believe that big beautiful lunar dome is possible. Such a shame.
                                       sad

Make the dome two layered and pump several dozens of meters of water coulmn between the sheets for weight and radiation protection. Or bury it in regolith. Pump the light in through optic cables... The same concept developed to its extreme -- a sky-ocean canopy over bodies with about several % of gees surface gravity !!!

#32 2004-07-01 07:26:15

Shaun Barrett

Assuming it's feasible to put that much water into a layer in the dome, would we have trouble with it tending to either boil or freeze in lunar conditions?
                                                ???

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#33 2004-07-05 02:00:33

karov

Assuming it's feasible to put that much water into a layer in the dome, would we have trouble with it tending to either boil or freeze in lunar conditions?
                                                ???

The boiling/freezing is matter of termal protection, insulation, designed termal cycle... If regolith is used for weight balancing of the internal air presure -- it will not boil off. For say Europa - an ice igloo is the best choice for doming - providing both the structural integrity and the radiational protection. After several hundred meters of depth even the purest water is not transperant enough -- so the example was not pointed towards building 'free sight' sky cover. BTW, even so, there are termal exchange and storing ways of keping the water in the dome`s baloon liquid during the extremes of the lunar diurnal cycle.

#34 2004-08-17 12:09:04

REB
Banned
Website

http://aerospacescholars.jsc.nasa.gov/H … 2/20.cfm]I found this one today.

I have seen the first two terraformed pictures of Mars before, but the 3rd one is new to me. It looks like Mars in the early stages of terraformation.

#35 2004-08-17 12:10:59

REB
Banned
Website

#36 2004-08-17 14:48:46

Rxke

Sigh...

Say, how much would it cost to bribe one of the decontamination-people working on the next lander to errr... make a little mistake, and swab the machine with a rag full of extremophile/lichen spores?  big_smile

#37 2004-08-17 15:50:40

REB
Banned
Website

It is a good thing I don't work for them. I would have the thing full of any kind of Earth life I tought might strand a chance on Mars.

Board footer