New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-05-28 07:07:53

REB
Banned
Website

Re: Terraform Art/Pictures - Post artwork of terraformed worlds

This is a good one;

http://www.marsunearthed.com/MarsArt/Bl … _roll.htm#

Back in 1994 (Before the Interent and when my personal computer was a Tandy 1000HX), I got a 3 set of Topographical Maps of Mars. Using these Maps, I used a poster board to draw, with prisma pencils, what a terraformed Mars would look like. I only did half of Mars. I was going to do the other side, but it was very time consuming.

Now with computers, it can be done quickly.

I need to take a picture of it and post it here.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#2 2004-05-28 10:40:14

REB
Banned
Website

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#3 2004-05-30 10:05:54

Yang Liwei Rocket

fantastic image

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#4 2004-06-03 06:22:22

REB
Banned
Website

Here is one of Mars. It looks different from most because it has a lower sea level.

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/ima … ...024.jpg

#5 2004-06-03 06:24:15

REB
Banned
Website

#6 2004-06-03 06:28:10

REB
Banned
Website

I forgot to add this one to the last post. It is related to it. Kind of cool.

http://www.astronexus.com/misc/3dgraphi … venus.html

#7 2004-06-03 08:30:57

karov

Do you know available coloured altitude map of the Moon? Mars? Venus? Mercury!?!?

#8 2004-06-03 08:41:21

REB
Banned
Website

I'll keep an eye out and post any I find here.

I have a coule of neat pictures on my homepage that might be what you are looking for;

http://startrektng.freewebspace.com/pho … photo.html

#9 2004-06-03 10:16:54

karov

Thank you very much!!!

Do you have such map of the whole earth Moon?

#10 2004-06-03 10:28:32

REB
Banned
Website

I have not seen one of the whole Moon, just bits and pieces.

#11 2004-06-03 13:51:12

karov

If you find one link it here please.

#12 2004-06-03 14:09:01

REB
Banned
Website

#13 2004-06-03 14:15:55

REB
Banned
Website

Here is where you can download topo-Maps of the Moon;

http://geopubs.wr.usgs.gov/i-map/i2769/ … map/i2769/

#14 2004-06-03 14:34:26

karov

thanks! The topographical moon animation is super. Best for visualisation of eventual water bodies distribution: shallow seas and low mountains on Near side -- deeeeep ocean and high elevations on the Far side...

Do topographical colour-coded map of Mercury exists?

#15 2004-06-04 07:04:19

Shaun Barrett

Many thanks, REB.
    That first picture of Mars, showing Mariner Valley, is probably the best image of a terraformed Mars I've ever seen!
    I just sat and oohed-and-aahed at it for several minutes - I even insisted my wife should come and see it too, so she could ooh-and-aah as well!

How wonderful it would be to have two habitable planets in the same system and a thriving commerce among Earth, Mars and the Asteroid Belt.
    In either my next reincarnation or the one after that, I hope to see just such a scene in reality. (Well ... I can dream, can't I?! )
                                tongue   smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#16 2004-06-04 07:28:56

REB
Banned
Website

I love that first one too.

I think, when humans have matured (As a race, I think we are teenagers) and we get long term vision, we’ll be able to take on goals like terraforming. Then, one day, the solar system will have three habitable planets.

#17 2004-06-04 08:09:05

karov

Then, one day, the solar system will have three habitable planets.

Or dozens!

Mercury, Venus, the Moon, Mars, Ceres, Vesta, Galilleans, Titan, Triton, Pluton, Ixion, Sedna... gas giants and the Sol itself by supra-surface shells... Matter of economy and esthetics.

Believe me, the numbers show that for EVERY round astronomical body in this universe could be found solution to be externally terraformed...

#18 2004-06-05 06:30:24

Palomar

Or dozens!

Mercury, Venus, the Moon, Mars, Ceres, Vesta, Galilleans, Titan, Triton, Pluton, Ixion, Sedna... gas giants and the Sol itself by supra-surface shells... Matter of economy and esthetics.

Believe me, the numbers show that for EVERY round astronomical body in this universe could be found solution to be externally terraformed...

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040604.html]Speaking of Sedna...

*Nice artist's vision, looking Sagittarius-way it seems.

Actually I can't imagine a world so remote from its star could be terraformed (however, I -don't- wish to rain on anyone's parade).

Anyway, perhaps a building block for discussion.

--Cindy  smile

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#19 2004-06-05 10:15:57

karov

Or dozens!

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040604.html]Speaking of Sedna...

*Nice artist's vision, looking Sagittarius-way it seems.

Actually I can't imagine a world so remote from its star could be terraformed (however, I -don't- wish to rain on anyone's parade).

Anyway, perhaps a building block for discussion.

--Cindy  smile

It is possible, but almost certainly shall appear to be uneconomical and non-necesarry. I`ll post a more detailed eventual picture in separate topic about these cold extremes.

BTW, there are maths supported ideas that far out there towards and in the Oort cloud and even KB, could be found planets bigger than Pluto or even Moon, mars or Earth size...

#20 2004-06-05 12:01:18

Palomar

I`ll post a more detailed eventual picture in separate topic about these cold extremes.

*Hi Karov.  I'm hoping you will consider starting a different thread (I -don't- wish to disrupt this thread of REB's) concerning human habitation of "Sol itself by supra-surface shells... "

That has got me *very* curious.  smile 

If you'd like to begin a separate thread for discussion of this, I'd definitely be interested in reading your ideas about Sol and "supra-surface shells".  Intriguing, to say the least. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#21 2004-06-06 09:10:20

karov

I`ll post a more detailed eventual picture in separate topic about these cold extremes.

*Hi Karov.  I'm hoping you will consider starting a different thread (I -don't- wish to disrupt this thread of REB's) concerning human habitation of "Sol itself by supra-surface shells... "

That has got me *very* curious.  smile 

If you'd like to begin a separate thread for discussion of this, I'd definitely be interested in reading your ideas about Sol and "supra-surface shells".  Intriguing, to say the least. 

--Cindy

These "strange" and "funny" ideas to get the sun - or every other supra-planetary mass astronomical body within that universe - terraformed, belong to Paul Birch.
See: http://www.paulbirch.net]www.paulbirch.net; more exactly -- http://www.paulbirch.net/OrbitalRings-I … gs-III.zip; pgs.237 and 238, "3.4.1.Super-Jovian planets" and "3.4.2.Super-stellar planets" , also: http://www.paulbirch.net/SupramundanePl … lanets.zip
Separate thread on this is already started. Notice the topic "Supramundane habitats+" and please, lets discuss there.

About Sedna and the other outer mini-planets, I`ll start another thread, too, with more or less detailed description and "proof" for the theoretical plausibility of the concept.

#22 2004-06-08 21:41:34

atitarev

Take a look at the detailed map of the terraformed Mars from the Red Colony site.

http://www.redcolony.com/map/index.html]The Future of Mars?

Anatoli Titarev

#23 2004-06-09 05:44:19

REB
Banned
Website

That looks very similar to the Map I drew by hand back in 1994. I drew, using the best calculations I could, where rivers would flow, were deserts would exist, and were different types of vegetation would grow. It was a very satisfying experience.

#24 2004-06-28 11:47:25

REB
Banned
Website

http://www.germantown.k12.il.us/html/Venus.htm

Cool picture of a terraformed crater on the Moon at the bottom of the page. Not sure what it has to do with Venus.

#25 2004-06-29 04:49:15

karov

Somewhere in the Net I found several years ago a picture rendering a view of Jupiter with semi-built around it Burch`s style 'supramundane' habitat`s shell. I can`t find it now.

Would you help me?

Board footer