New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-05-28 06:55:18

REB
Banned
Website

Re: New Young Planet Found

http://www.click2houston.com/technology … etail.html

Scientists Believe They Found New Baby Planet

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#2 2004-05-28 07:15:15

Palomar

http://www.click2houston.com/technology … etail.html

Scientists Believe They Found New Baby Planet

*Hi REB.  Cool article.  Only 420 light years away.  smile  Spitzer is doing marvelous things. 

A baby planet  ::sigh::  How sweet.  smile 

Its star is very young, too (only a million years old...just a tot itself, by cosmic standards).

Caught my attention especially:  "...the planetary construction zones around infant stars have considerable ice that could produce future oceans."

--Cindy

::EDIT::  "Watson also reported that for the first time, Spitzer has shown without ambiguity all the icy organic materials in the planet-forming disks surrounding infant stars, or those that are only hundreds of thousands of years old. He called these the building blocks of what might end up as a solar system like our own.

As for the proliferation of developing stars, Spitzer revealed more than 300 star formations in one region in the constellation Centaurus, 13,700 light-years away."

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-05-28 08:16:24

REB
Banned
Website

What we need is a gravity lens scope using the Sun’s, or Jupiter’s, gravity well.

I read years ago that such a scope could show us contents on any Earth-like planets orbiting nearby stars. I would love to have a look at the Alpha Centauri System. With two Sun-like stars that can support planets out to 2 AU’s, it is a good place to look for Earth-Like planets.

http://homepage.sunrise.ch/homepage/sch … tauri.html

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#4 2004-05-28 08:28:07

~Eternal~

What we need is a gravity lens scope using the Sun?s, or Jupiter?s, gravity well.

I read years ago that such a scope could show us contents on any Earth-like planets orbiting nearby stars. I would love to have a look at the Alpha Centauri System. With two Sun-like stars that can support planets out to 2 AU?s, it is a good place to look for Earth-Like planets.

Wait 60 years and why don't we just go visit it?
I'll by the tickets you bring the Hostee's big_smile.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#5 2004-05-28 08:38:36

Palomar

What we need is a gravity lens scope using the Sun’s, or Jupiter’s, gravity well.

I read years ago that such a scope could show us contents on any Earth-like planets orbiting nearby stars.

*Yep, good idea.

Hubble recently imaged the oldest galaxies yet seen -- nearest yet to the estimated time of the Big Bang -- via gravitational lensing (IIRC, utilizing the gravity of a much closer [and rather dense] group of galaxies).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#6 2004-05-28 13:44:08

Palomar

I would love to have a look at the Alpha Centauri System. With two Sun-like stars that can support planets out to 2 AU’s, it is a good place to look for Earth-Like planets.

*This is one of the best articles (w/illustrations) I've seen of the a-Centauri system.

They speculate whether Proxima [C] is part of the system or if it may eventually move away from A & B; it's currently 13,000 AU away from the other two.

What if it is actually being drawn -closer to- A & B?  I suppose they're working on ascertaining that?

A & B's closest approach to each other 11 AU's; 2 AU limit for stable planetary orbits; orbit each other every 80 years...hmmmmm.  That'd be a bit like riding on a cosmic version of the local County Fair's "Scrambler."  :laugh:

Cool to speculate on.  Imagine living in a system like that (would take it for granted, I know...but fun to travel to via imagination).  It'd be great to see a video animation. 

--Cindy

#7 2004-05-29 11:28:37

Euler

I don't know about Jupiter, but the sun's focal point is at about 450 AU.  Just getting the telescope there would be a real challenge with current technology, and you would only be able to aim it at things that are directly opposite the sun from it.

#8 2004-06-04 09:16:56

REB
Banned
Website

Several such scopes, at the 450 AU point, that slowly orbit, might work. It would be a slow process to change targets, but if we had several out there looking at the closer stars, that might work.

Board footer