New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2004-05-28 06:55:18

REB
Banned
Website

Re: New Young Planet Found

http://www.click2houston.com/technology … etail.html

Scientists Believe They Found New Baby Planet

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#2 2004-05-28 07:15:15

Palomar

http://www.click2houston.com/technology … etail.html

Scientists Believe They Found New Baby Planet

*Hi REB.  Cool article.  Only 420 light years away.  smile  Spitzer is doing marvelous things. 

A baby planet  ::sigh::  How sweet.  smile 

Its star is very young, too (only a million years old...just a tot itself, by cosmic standards).

Caught my attention especially:  "...the planetary construction zones around infant stars have considerable ice that could produce future oceans."

--Cindy

::EDIT::  "Watson also reported that for the first time, Spitzer has shown without ambiguity all the icy organic materials in the planet-forming disks surrounding infant stars, or those that are only hundreds of thousands of years old. He called these the building blocks of what might end up as a solar system like our own.

As for the proliferation of developing stars, Spitzer revealed more than 300 star formations in one region in the constellation Centaurus, 13,700 light-years away."

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-05-28 08:16:24

REB
Banned
Website

What we need is a gravity lens scope using the Sun’s, or Jupiter’s, gravity well.

I read years ago that such a scope could show us contents on any Earth-like planets orbiting nearby stars. I would love to have a look at the Alpha Centauri System. With two Sun-like stars that can support planets out to 2 AU’s, it is a good place to look for Earth-Like planets.

http://homepage.sunrise.ch/homepage/sch … tauri.html

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#4 2004-05-28 08:28:07

~Eternal~

What we need is a gravity lens scope using the Sun?s, or Jupiter?s, gravity well.

I read years ago that such a scope could show us contents on any Earth-like planets orbiting nearby stars. I would love to have a look at the Alpha Centauri System. With two Sun-like stars that can support planets out to 2 AU?s, it is a good place to look for Earth-Like planets.

Wait 60 years and why don't we just go visit it?
I'll by the tickets you bring the Hostee's big_smile.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#5 2004-05-28 08:38:36

Palomar

What we need is a gravity lens scope using the Sun’s, or Jupiter’s, gravity well.

I read years ago that such a scope could show us contents on any Earth-like planets orbiting nearby stars.

*Yep, good idea.

Hubble recently imaged the oldest galaxies yet seen -- nearest yet to the estimated time of the Big Bang -- via gravitational lensing (IIRC, utilizing the gravity of a much closer [and rather dense] group of galaxies).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#6 2004-05-28 13:44:08

Palomar

I would love to have a look at the Alpha Centauri System. With two Sun-like stars that can support planets out to 2 AU’s, it is a good place to look for Earth-Like planets.

*This is one of the best articles (w/illustrations) I've seen of the a-Centauri system.

They speculate whether Proxima [C] is part of the system or if it may eventually move away from A & B; it's currently 13,000 AU away from the other two.

What if it is actually being drawn -closer to- A & B?  I suppose they're working on ascertaining that?

A & B's closest approach to each other 11 AU's; 2 AU limit for stable planetary orbits; orbit each other every 80 years...hmmmmm.  That'd be a bit like riding on a cosmic version of the local County Fair's "Scrambler."  :laugh:

Cool to speculate on.  Imagine living in a system like that (would take it for granted, I know...but fun to travel to via imagination).  It'd be great to see a video animation. 

--Cindy

#7 2004-05-29 11:28:37

Euler

I don't know about Jupiter, but the sun's focal point is at about 450 AU.  Just getting the telescope there would be a real challenge with current technology, and you would only be able to aim it at things that are directly opposite the sun from it.

#8 2004-06-04 09:16:56

REB
Banned
Website

Several such scopes, at the 450 AU point, that slowly orbit, might work. It would be a slow process to change targets, but if we had several out there looking at the closer stars, that might work.

Board footer