New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-23 07:29:23

Palomar

Re: You RAT

Read Me

*"...The RAT, part of the science-instrument package carried by the two Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, uses a diamond-tipped robotic grinding tool to scrape away this weathered exterior, revealing a fresh surface..."

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-12-23 19:42:17

Aetius

I read that the RAT was invented by a dentist, of all people.

#3 2003-12-23 19:55:18

Palomar

I read that the RAT was invented by a dentist, of all people.

*That makes sense to me, especially the part that says "grinding tool to scrape away this weathered exterior, revealing a fresh surface..."

Teeth or rocks...

Dontcha just love those high-pitched drills and the nerve-jarring sensations against the teeth that makes you want to fly out of the chair (whoops -- not trying to get too off-topic).

RAT is (approximately) the size of a soda can.  How cute!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2003-12-24 04:35:03

Aetius

If by "love", you mean "can't stand", you would be correct.  big_smile

#5 2003-12-24 05:33:20

Rxke

Aetus, you sure? The driller on Beagle 2 was invented by a dentist, would be a serious 'dentist renaissance' in space exploration if this one was also coming out of the dentist's lab big_smile

Board footer