New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2003-12-23 07:29:23

Palomar

Re: You RAT

Read Me

*"...The RAT, part of the science-instrument package carried by the two Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, uses a diamond-tipped robotic grinding tool to scrape away this weathered exterior, revealing a fresh surface..."

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-12-23 19:42:17

Aetius

I read that the RAT was invented by a dentist, of all people.

#3 2003-12-23 19:55:18

Palomar

I read that the RAT was invented by a dentist, of all people.

*That makes sense to me, especially the part that says "grinding tool to scrape away this weathered exterior, revealing a fresh surface..."

Teeth or rocks...

Dontcha just love those high-pitched drills and the nerve-jarring sensations against the teeth that makes you want to fly out of the chair (whoops -- not trying to get too off-topic).

RAT is (approximately) the size of a soda can.  How cute!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2003-12-24 04:35:03

Aetius

If by "love", you mean "can't stand", you would be correct.  big_smile

#5 2003-12-24 05:33:20

Rxke

Aetus, you sure? The driller on Beagle 2 was invented by a dentist, would be a serious 'dentist renaissance' in space exploration if this one was also coming out of the dentist's lab big_smile

Board footer