New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2004-01-12 21:30:05

Mad Grad Student
Website

Re: Space Tours - for the rich

I don't think that it's good to give preferential treatment to the rich and trap those who have less money here on Earth. Have any of you read Thomas Pain's "Common Sense"?

What? Preferential treatment? No, I think you've missed the point. Space is currently the realm only of the rich and PhD'd because only the rich can buy their way in. Hey, if poor people had $20 million they could go to, right now it's just really expensive. There's no denying that. It's not like someone decided to charge everyone an insane amount for a rocket ride, when it gets cheaper, the cost will go down. It's that simple

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#27 2004-01-13 11:43:51

Ian
Banned

RxKe when you said that it's only the rich that rule, it's not that way in the United States. Here, ordinary citizens get a say in government and we can vote for our leaders. Would you prefer that the US go back to a feudal system?

#28 2004-01-13 18:46:19

Ian
Banned

I agree that the space tourism industry is greedy. I hope that in the future they can become less greedy. Once they see our planet from space maybe they will make less greedy decisions. "I hope.".

#29 2004-01-13 23:10:42

Hazer

So what if the rich go first?
Sixty years ago, computers were massive devices that were horribly expensive.
We let the rich climb first.  After all, why should we risk our necks?
Think of them as guinea pigs-and jealousy quickly evaporates.

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

#30 2004-01-16 22:08:43

Ian
Banned

I don't like this idea of stratification. Look what happened to France in the late 18'th century.

#31 2004-01-17 14:37:56

Hazer

America ain't France. 
As I see it, this isn't about who should get to go to space-but who can earn it.

I agree that the space tourism industry is greedy. I hope that in the future they can become less greedy. Once they see our planet from space maybe they will make less greedy decisions. "I hope."

Ian, they aren't being greedy.  How much does it cost to launch a Soyuz to the ISS?  How much money do you think they shell out for all their hardware?
Space is obscenely expensive right now-and there's little we can do about it.

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

#32 2004-01-20 13:37:46

Ian
Banned

I think that space exploration should be for all of humanity. Not just for the filthy rich. Governments shouldn't hold back citizens who have enough merit from getting a chance to enter space.

#33 2005-04-29 12:19:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well this is the 4th anniversary of Dennis Tito's ISS 8 day trip of which http://www.spaceadventures.com/ news letter reminded me of.

April 28, 2005: 4th Anniversary of Tito's Launch to Orbit

Four years ago today, Dennis Tito became the first commercial passenger to fly to space.

Tito, at age 60, launched from the historic Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 13:38 local time for an eight-day visit to the International Space Station. 

For Tito, it was the fulfillment of a dream he held for 40 years. "For me it was like being in heaven - it was like being in a second life," he said.

In the four years since Tito's launch, commercial spaceflight has made incredible progress.  The Ansari X Prize has been won, as the first privately funded space vehicle was developed and successfully flown.  It is truly inspiring to think what the next four years will bring.

For those of you that have always dreamed of flying to space, contact Space Adventures today to learn how we can make that dream a reality. 

Our Mission Is Your Spaceflight.

But what has he done for space flight other than to pay the bill and to put it this way for the rest of us, unless we are rich forget it....

#34 2005-04-29 12:32:59

Palomar

*Mixed emotions:  I'm happy for HIS happiness and enjoyment of the experience.

Otherwise, I could care less.

--Cindy

P.S.: 

unless we are rich forget it....

For me, that's beside the point.  I just want to get us the hell out of LEO and on to Mars.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#35 2023-11-02 13:09:23

Mars_B4_Moon

This might be worth a bump for general tourism and participant flights
it is difficult to find a general space tourism thread, lots of search results for Space-X, Virgin and Blue.

Space Perspective unveils 'Space Spa' restroom for balloon tourist flights (images)

https://news.yahoo.com/news/space-persp … 00988.html

DW a German government funded news broadcast talked of the Axiom Mission 2

The future of space tourism: Will it become affordable? | DW News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAabzH1gTBc

'teams are now targeting no earlier than October 2024 to launch Axiom Mission 4'

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceOps/status … 1820393740

Another Commercial Astronaut flight? Alysson Renato Muotri is from Brazil, a researcher from the University of California (UCSD), United States, where he has been working since 2008. He is also the director of the Stem-Cell Program of the UCSD.
https://g1.globo.com/ciencia/noticia/20 … aria.ghtml

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-11-02 13:10:04)

Board footer