New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#201 2005-08-23 07:42:32

Palomar

Re: U.S. Culture - ...where's it going?

P.S.:  The Venezuelan Catholic Archbishop recently stated Chavez is "possessed by the Devil" and "needs an exorcism."  LOL!

If Pat Robertson's any indication, we could use some of those Venezuelan Archbishops here in the States!

*IIRC, that Archbishop is the one and only in Venezuela, is in his 70s or 80s, and is vocal; a "lone voice in the wilderness."  He's outing Chavez as a wolf, opposed to genuine human rights, etc.  I tried to relocate the article at Yahoo!...to no avail.

I suppose the Archbishop will soon have a "terrible accident."  Or die of a sudden mysterious ailment chalked up to a heart attack or something. 

If Pat Robertson would win 10% of the popular vote...I really hope Americans aren't that foolish.  That would say a lot (I'd continue with "us as a people" but I'm not much of a collectivist).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#202 2005-08-23 12:15:39

Palomar

Venezuela strikes back...

*They're denouncing Robertson as a terrorist. 

Also:

The comments "reveal that religious fundamentalism is one of the great problems facing humanity in these times," Rangel said.

I agree with that comment. 

The State Department is distancing itself from Robertson.  I can't imagine that man's arrogance; he has wormed his way onto the world's stage and has national leaders reacting.  roll  Wish they'd just ignore him.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#203 2005-08-23 21:12:45

srmeaney

The State Department is distancing itself from Robertson. I can't imagine that man's arrogance; he has wormed his way onto the world's stage and has national leaders reacting.  Wish they'd just ignore him.

--Cindy

perhaps they will ship him off to Guantanimo Bay with all the other Terrorists.

He's probably setting himself up for another run at the presidency. What do you think... 10% of the propular vote in 2008?

Let Chavez run for the US presidency against him...record voter turn out...even the dead will vote for him in that election.

PS Planning to annex eastern Europe and Asia to secure reliable source of Halva. Withdrawal symptoms are hideous.

#204 2005-08-24 11:47:48

Palomar

Evangelist backs off Chavez assassination call

AP - Tue Aug 23, 7:55 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Conservative U.S. evangelist Pat Robertson, who called for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, said on Wednesday he was misinterpreted and there were a number of ways to "take him out" including kidnapping. "I said our special forces could take him out. Take him out could be a number of things including kidnapping," Robertson said on his "The 700 Club" television program. "There are a number of ways of taking out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted," Robertson added.

*Sure.  Try and weasel your way out of it. 

So kidnapping is scriptural? 

Mr. Robertson should maybe refamiliarize himself with that verse in the bible about liars going to Hell. 

And Jesse Jackson has chimed in...of course.  Any chance these Wannabe King preachers get for a headline, they sure take it.

"Religions should stay out of politics...or be taxed."

We all "misunderstood" Pat Robertson...but then who can truly understand a mind so superior and sublime as his?  <<insert puking emoticon>>  roll

--Cindy

Article

#205 2005-08-24 12:32:22

Cobra Commander

In fairness, what's the big deal about suggesting the assassination of a troublesome foreign leader?

Let's be honest here, Robertson is an ass but the comment in question isn't beyond the pale. More discretion than some fool blathering about it on tv would be in order, but the occasional "happy accident" has its place.

<whisper>Castro</whisper> :twisted:

And no, I'm not saying we should do it because I don't think Chavez (or Castro for that matter) are worth the effort. But on occasion a well placed bullet in the night can avert a great deal of trouble and misery.

<crawls back under the bridge>

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#206 2005-08-24 12:41:45

Palomar

Let's be honest here, Robertson is an ass

*He's a wolf in sheep's clothing.  I'm tired of this nation being run by preachers ... let alone of his ilk. 

--Cindy

P.S. 

In fairness, what's the big deal about suggesting the assassination of a troublesome foreign leader?

My emphasis (today's earlier post) was on Robertson's current attempts at denying he called for assassination.  Apparently we're all too "unsaved" and merely "misunderstood" him.  Sure.  (Weasel).

#207 2005-08-24 13:14:05

Grypd

There is a problem for the USA in this.

You see when these calls are made they give the person aimed at a lot more support from the people of his own country. Frankly all that Pat Robertson has managed to do, is to prove without a doubt to the people of Venezuela that he is being targeted by the USA and no matter his policies they have increased his support. And with President Chavezs policies in the Carribean and South America this will reduce support of the USA there and increase his.

What gives Pat Robertson the right to demand what is against International and USA law the deliberate murder of a foreign national. It makes a nice soundbite but it really is fundamentally stupid and all it has done is hurt the USA. And incidentally what really peaves me as the ally of the USA it hurts Britain too.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#208 2005-08-24 13:20:12

Cobra Commander

It makes a nice soundbite but it really is fundamentally stupid and all it has done is hurt the USA. And incidentally what really peaves me as the ally of the USA it hurts Britain too.

Indeed. Which is why for my part it's not the suggestion but the indiscretion that annoys me.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#209 2005-08-24 15:33:18

Palomar

It makes a nice soundbite but it really is fundamentally stupid and all it has done is hurt the USA. And incidentally what really peaves me as the ally of the USA it hurts Britain too.

Indeed. Which is why for my part it's not the suggestion but the indiscretion that annoys me.

*I understand your POV on this, Cobra.  And in some respects I agree -- particularly as "nip it in the bud" goes.

Does he really think no one else (in D.C.) has considered "alternatives" about various political figures?  He's so foolish and apparently thinks the big-shots in D.C. need a few "pointers" from him.  neutral 

His being a private citizen with so much "clout" ...

::shakes head:: 

He's certainly entitled to his opinions and free speech, but damn...he's doing more harm than good.  I wish the media would unplug the spotlight from Mr. Robertson and "preachers" like him.  They -are- private citizens after all, not professional politicians.  Etc.  sad  They don't "legitimately" represent -anyone- in a bona fide sense.

You'd think a man his age would have more sense.  No fool like an old fool, I guess. 

And good post, Grypd.  Yep.

--Cindy

#210 2005-08-24 18:19:13

srmeaney

Let's be honest here, Robertson is an ass but the comment in question isn't beyond the pale. More discretion than some fool blathering about it on tv would be in order, but the occasional "happy accident" has its place.

<whisper>Castro</whisper> 

And no, I'm not saying we should do it because I don't think Chavez (or Castro for that matter) are worth the effort. But on occasion a well placed bullet in the night can avert a great deal of trouble and misery.

<crawls back under the bridge>

You are right of course, Cobra.

We should be able to kill anyone and everyone who gets in our way.

So next monday when terrorists hijack another fully fueled redeye from Boston, they should be free to crash that sucker into Martha's vinyard.

Advocates of regime change (aka Republicans) should be able to assassinate any and every democrat running for the presidency because stability comes from one continuous leader for life.

North Korea should feel free to launch an interceptor missile at the next shuttle to launch (and blow it out of the sky) from their freighter ship as it cruises along the african coast.

Every nation on this planet beyond the US Border should be free to band together as a single World spanning Civilization and use the USA as a prison colony.

Who Dares Wins!

#211 2005-08-25 05:12:47

Cobra Commander

Srmeaney, you're essentially describing the world as it is. We may have all sorts of international agreements about not doing distasteful things, but they still get done. Pretending otherwise and feigning outrage when someone says "why not just kill him?" is silly.

America. F**k yeah.  big_smile

#212 2005-08-25 06:19:50

srmeaney

self edited: Pat Robertson is someone for whom christianity is a means to an end. It is inevitable that he and his supporters wind up dead in an alley way.

#213 2005-08-25 06:26:50

Palomar

you're essentially describing the world as it is. We may have all sorts of international agreements about not doing distasteful things, but they still get done.

*That's one of the things I like about you, Cobra.  You tell the cold, hard truth without flinching.  It's not always easy to read/"listen to," but you're usually right.  Not always...but usually.  wink  Reality checks...ouch.  You're good at them.

--Cindy

#214 2005-08-25 06:58:23

clark

pragmatic sociopath.

if you do it, do it with a shurg. [shrug]

#215 2005-08-25 19:06:34

srmeaney

"Wal-Mart alone purchased $18 Billion worth of Chinese goods in 2004, making it China's eighth largest trading partner-ahead of Australia, Canada, and Russia"-Neil C. Hughes, A Trade War with China

Walmart profits from Communism...

If Cuba exported Hydrogen powered Cadillacs, the US would be trading with them as we speak.

#216 2022-05-08 18:00:12

Mars_B4_Moon

Why is Cinco de Mayo celebrated in the United States?
https://www.poblanerias.com/2022/04/eng … rated-usa/

The rise of K-pop in the United States
https://www.dailycardinal.com/article/2 … ted-states

The Boston Marathon Is Wrong to Ban Russian Athletes
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/t … -athletes/

Wimbledon ban on Russian players slammed as ‘complete discrimination’ by Andrey Rublev
https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/22/wimbledo … -16515450/

Cultural Influence
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countr … /influence

Give peace a chance in America's culture wars
https://www.newsday.com/opinion/comment … s-sal4dd34

Joe Biden one year on: Has the United States become ungovernable?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60036911

NASA and Fortnite maker Epic Games create a virtual Mars reality?
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/18486377/ … anet-nasa/

NASA has partnered up with Epic Games to create a virtual reality Mars metaverse.

The joint project hopes to become a helpful tool for space agencies when planning the first human expedition on the Red Planet.

VR Mars metaverse built by Fortnite maker will let you experience life on Red Planet
https://nypost.com/2022/05/06/vr-mars-m … ed-planet/

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-05-08 18:00:59)

#217 2022-07-03 09:04:09

Mars_B4_Moon

Bolsevik SJW Marxism

deranged lunatics in the US Media

The Supreme Court's originalism is white supremacy
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/s … -rcna36409

Buenos Aires Bans Woke Spanish in Schools

https://www.dailysignal.com/2022/06/17/ … hools/amp/

This debate on whether to completely de-gender Spanish highlights one major difference between the war on language in America and Argentina.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-07-03 09:25:25)

#218 2022-08-10 04:28:09

Mars_B4_Moon

Biden: Americans ‘so down’ about economy due to inflation, lack of $8K checks
https://nypost.com/2022/07/28/biden-ame … 8k-checks/

Posts falsely offer 'Biden stimulus loans'
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/posts … 35008.html

The world had high hopes, but where did Joe Biden go wrong?
https://www.afr.com/world/north-america … 725-p5b4d0

Biden signs $52.7 bil. bill for chip production to counter China
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2022 … china.html

some positive news maybe but overall difficulty with Business, rent, oil, crime and inflation, run a marathon wearing wooden clogs

Family of Emmett Till reacts after grand jury declines to indict accuser

https://news.yahoo.com/family-emmett-ti … 00968.html

but Declaring War on an Old Folk's home?

Some old woman is accused of setting lynch mob on another person back in the 1950s, she might be dead she might have moved to England or Mexico or Canada? but almost 70 years later rumors spread around that she was hiding out in an old folks place, a mob arrives wanting to deliver their form of justice on some old woman who isn't at the old folks home....nobody is sure where she is hiding out.

Black BLM Antifa Panthers type group storms retirement homes looking for Emmet Till Accuser with flags and lawyers, activist and sticks

They found maybe on paper or online a 1955 warrant for her arrest, unearthed in Mississippi courthouse

Emmett Till protesters STORM senior living facility in search of woman accused of setting lynch mob on him after 1955 warrant for her arrest is unearthed in Mississippi courthouse
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … b-him.html
Protesters are in search of Carolyn Bryant Donham, now in her 80s, of Raleigh, N.C. after a 1955 arrest warrant is unearthed in Mississippi. She accused the 14-year-old of whistling at her in a grocery store in Money, Miss. Donham's husband, Roy Bryant, and half-brother, JW Milam, were arrested for his lynching, but were later acquitted. The pair later admitted guilt, but couldn't be prosecuted due to double-jeopardy laws.

There might be better ways to do this than a horde and mob 'justice'?

what exactly were they mobs of different peoples and personality and mobs of anger going to do if they found her?

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-08-10 04:28:58)

#219 2022-08-10 04:42:01

Calliban

B4, this is Antifa.  It is a Soros backed cultural Marxist activist / terrorist group.  Uncle Shmuel again.  Given that Uncle Shmuel runs the government at the moment, don't expect any of these violent thugs or terrorist groups to face any sort of justice for at least 2.5 years.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#220 2022-08-11 01:52:26

Mars_B4_Moon

Culture around the world has started to vanish somewhat, maybe people got less connected their face stuck inside their phones, the proliferation of smoking weed at home, booze at home, kids smoking some hookah shisha, people locking themselves away indoors increased dramatically during the Corona virus, was acting like an authoritarian country the answer? In Japan they had a unique problem the Hikikomori, people surive on part-time jobs, a new young people stuck inside playing video games "pulling inward, being confined" they might chat in some gamer room but also became a new culture that was social withdrawal, total withdrawal from society and seeking extreme degrees of social isolation and confinement, they thought it would never come to the USA but maybe it is already everywhere in the world now.

A Fifth of US Teens Use YouTube 'Almost Constantly,' With TikTok Not Far Behind
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/22/08/1 … far-behind

Brazil had expansion economically, how did they achieve this? Brazil grows despite huge numbers in no Lockdown more Lockdown stop Lockdowns, then have virus Lockdown and other confused leadership with Covid deaths, China growing, some countries of Eastern Europe grow although I'm sure they will have costs of refugees from War, Indonesia grows. So why growth and recession and expansion and contraction in the USA, a place that would always lead the world. a big US slow down, perhaps bad political leadership from the top or maybe its more than the economy maybe its a cultural death. Gone are the days where everyone wanted to cheer Chicago Bulls, go to the places of motor and town, the nickname for Detroit, Chicago always had some rough sides but over the years more rot and corruption and drugs and crime start to creep in.

‘Seattle is back’: New bill aims to grow city’s film, television industry
https://news.yahoo.com › seattle-back-bill-aims-grow-191351679.html

meanwhile

The angry Aussies?

I Should Be Able to Mute America

The rest of the world should not have to know the name Bari Weiss

America is the internet.
https://www.gawker.com/culture/i-should … te-america
I’m a sandgroper from Perth, Western Australia, a place sometimes referred to as the most isolated city in the world. Perth is essentially one big gelatinous suburb with the temperament of a disgruntled stepfather and the drive of his dysfunctional failson. As such, it is a Facebook town.
But I am a Twitter tragic, tragically.

Being three hours behind the East Coast, late night Perth Twitter is a bit like the Night’s Watch in Game of Thrones: a rag-tag collection of rejects trudging along the great slippery ice wall of infinite scroll while the realm sleeps.

Unfortunately, this means that we’re the first to witness the awakening of that undead nightmare otherwise known as “American discourse.”

the Asian rival

China overtakes the US in scientific research output
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ … rch-output

Japan entertainment outselling the big American brands?
Manga DESTROYS Superhero Comics Sales! Marvel and DC Comics DESPERATE!
https://comicsgate.org/2022/05/20/manga … desperate/

S.Korea culture

Fresh Korean Wave sweeping world, powered by Netflix hits
https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13468714

and inspiration back in Europe

King: ‘Hunger Winter’ looms as Europe prepares to shiver
https://www.bostonherald.com/2022/08/06 … to-shiver/

perhaps this could go in one of those politics, Looter or Crimes threads

At least 56 People Shot in Chicago Over the Weekend, Half of Them in the First 12 Hours
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/a … s/2909468/

Major crime continues to surge in NYC, up 36% this year: new police data
https://nypost.com/2022/08/08/major-cri … lice-data/

NYC sees 11 separate shootings, stabbings hours after Adams vowed to ‘turn this crime thing around’
https://www.foxnews.com/us/nyc-sees-ele … ing-around

Crime Explosion In Democrat-Run Cities
https://www.knoxfocus.com/columnist/cri … un-cities/

Chicago weekend violence sees 54 shot, 8 fatally, with 4 minors injured, police statistics show
https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-week … stics-show

Ask for political Leadership

Sometimes you get the crazy

'Targeted Assassinations' Coming if Civil War Breaks Out: Adam Kinzinger
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ta … ar-AATKbqK

New York Close To Banning Criminal Background Checks From Housing Applications
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/york-cl … 00079.html

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-08-11 05:10:19)

#221 2023-02-22 10:13:51

Mars_B4_Moon

The US Civil War Politics 1861 – 1865; fought between the Union "the North" and the Confederacy "the South"

Marjorie Taylor Greene Shares Unhinged Details Of Her 'National Divorce' Idea
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/marjorie-tayl … 42373.html

The Real Problem With Marjorie Taylor Greene’s Call for a “National Divorce”
https://www.thenation.com/article/polit … or-greene/

Marjorie Taylor Greene Doubles Down On 'National Divorce' Proposal
https://www.newsweek.com/marjorie-taylo … al-1783086

"National Divorce" Plan?

https://www.culturcidal.com/p/the-first … is-calling

Alaskan Independence?

There was a site akip dot org

The Alaskan Independence Party (AKIP) is an Alaskan nationalist political party that advocates an in-state referendum which would include the option of Alaska becoming an independent country. The party also advocates positions similar to those of the Constitution Party, Republican Party and Libertarian Party, supporting gun rights, pro-life policies, privatization, home schooling, and limited government

Partition and secession in California

Since the mid-19th century, the mountainous region of northern California and parts of southwestern Oregon have been proposed as a separate state. In 1941, some counties in the area ceremonially seceded, one day a week, from their respective states as the State of Jefferson. This movement disappeared after America's entry into World War II, but the notion has been rekindled in recent years
https://articles.latimes.com/2013/sep/2 … n-20130925

In 2020, "Move Oregon's Border For a Greater Idaho" proposed breaking off most of Oregon's area and some of Northern California and join it with Idaho. The areas proposed to break off of Oregon and California vote Republican but in a state whose legislatures are dominated by Democrats. Douglas and Josephine counties in Oregon approved language for petitions to put a measure on the ballot. Even if passed by voters, it would still need approval from all three state legislatures.
https://www.npr.org/2020/02/24/80891689 … -with-them

Iranian 'Fatwa Foundation' offers large plot of farmland to US man for stabbing Salman Rushdie and leaving him 'no more than living dead'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … shdie.html

J.K. Rowling Claims Her Statements On Transgender Women Have Been ‘Profoundly’ Misunderstood In New Podcast
https://deadline.com/2023/02/j-k-rowlin … 235259271/

Ohio train derailment: Ilhan Omar and Ted Cruz find rare agreement over toxic accident
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poli … ohio-train

Joe Allen & Steve Bannon: Elon Musk is changing the core of what it means to be human
https://truthtalk.uk/2022/joe-allen-ste … -be-human/

Andrew Torba and Steve Bannon Discuss Transhumanism
https://tv.gab.com/channel/a/view/andre … 3d15ac7aca

How Steve Bannon Played A Role In Biosphere 2's Demise
https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2017/12 … re-2-earth

Back in the '90s, a group of scientists built the largest closed ecologically engineered system to try to better understand how all of the systems that make up Earth fit together. They called it Biosphere 2. The researchers hoped it would help protect our environment and prepare humans to colonize other planets if or when necessary.

But things didn't all go as planned. And a man named Steve Bannon got involved.

Cleared of charges
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurk … ill-looms/

The Texas Nationalist Movement (TNM), headed by Daniel Miller, evolved from one of the factions of the old Republic of Texas in 2005. However, the organization has disassociated itself from the Republic of Texas and the tactics of McLaren, instead opting for more political rather than confrontational or violent solution. The group has county-level groups in most parts of the state
https://web.archive.org/web/20151011143 … nary-kind/

What if California seceded from the US?
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2019 … rom-the-us

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-02-22 10:34:08)

#222 2023-08-25 08:54:10

Mars_B4_Moon

Older generation might claim movies are gone and music is dead, some of the big 'best' movies and sales 'Barbie and 'Avatar', massive box office but are they truly great? What have people watched in the Western world, the Live Police pursuit of O.J. Simpson, some of the other largest watched broadcasts in the world a Soccer World Cup final,  a US Soap Opera, the Eurovision Song Contest, a Cricket World Cup, Olympics opening or closing ceremony, the Superbowl, the Apollo 11 Moon landing, the John and Patsy Ramsey interview, the Monica Lewinsky and Barbara Walters interview. There was a shift away from movie and actors moving to HBO and other tv, then box office and streaming numbers started to die. The superhero thing might go the way of the Western, no longer a big genre.

Hollywood, Tv shows and Movies in general seem dead now

the other perverted message?

Female powerlifter calls trans athlete who set records an "outrage" and a "slap in the face"
https://notthebee.com/article/actual-fe … the-prize/

Turks on Possible Military Intervention in Niger
https://thenewamerican.com/world-news/a … -in-niger/

Some claimed Tucker Carlson's Trump interview  was shared with 200 + million video views on X aka twitter

Trump's debate counter-programming draws millions of views
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/trumps-debate … 24056.html

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-08-25 09:06:33)

#223 2023-08-26 07:17:40

Mars_B4_Moon

A British media guy Stephen Fry in America Sport and Culture and the unique oddities of the US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPeGPwGKe8

#224 2023-09-25 05:31:25

Mars_B4_Moon

The Art Institute of Atlanta set to permanently close in less than a week

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlant … DQAFK4KZU/

What’s behind all the box office flops this year - and what lessons can Hollywood learn?

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/behind-box-o … 49172.html

Kate Spicer: ‘Did ladette culture make us complicit in the objectification of women?’
As the conversation around Russell Brand has broadened into a frank critique of the ‘nasty Noughties’,

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/kate-spicer- … 00671.html

Mark Millar Claims The Superhero Movie Genre Ended After ‘Avengers: Endgame,’ Posits Marvel And DC Are Trying To Course Correct

https://boundingintocomics.com/2023/09/ … e-correct/

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-09-25 08:26:09)

#225 2023-11-27 05:47:29

Mars_B4_Moon

NYC leaders considering ways to tell whole story on explorers and historical figures honored with monuments
https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/ny … monuments/
NEW YORK -- From George Washington to Christopher Columbus, new questions are being raised about the future of some New York City monuments.

Texas governor endorses Trump for 2024 race at US-Mexico border event
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 … stract.com

How the Israel-Hamas war continues to divide California’s Democrats
https://www.latimes.com/politics/newsle … l-politics

Board footer