New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2022-09-11 12:36:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Mars Renters

Great topic to discuss.

tahanson43206 wrote:

On Mars, renters will be responsible for the full suite of needs:

Water
Oxygen
Power
Heat if separate from power
Communications
Building maintenance (includes habitat)

But when things break you need people who can work to resolve the issues as money will not be to fix much if the parts are no on hand.

Also, whom is the food creator for such rich folks.

This also connected to the topic My Hacienda On Mars in a way as each area needs to be self sustainable.

#2 2022-09-11 12:40:57

tahanson43206

Re: Mars Renters

For SpaceNut re new topic!

Best wishes for success!

Hopefully our members will be inspired to think creatively along these lines.

If there is a NewMars forum reader who is not a member and who would like to add to this (or any) topic, please see the Recruiting topic for procedure.

(th)

#3 2022-09-11 12:47:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sure, money can be a contributor to a successful Mars but who are these rich people as mars will be hard to conquer.
Sure, the upfront money is needed to purchase equipment and such for each site but after that is just having gobs of money enough to have a person on mars that is not a work contributor?
Something else is that we would not want to create classes of people rich versus the working as all need to work for mars to be safe.

#4 2022-09-12 10:26:32

Mars_B4_Moon

I was always of the opinion that Mars might not be a Utopia or Dystopia but somewhere in between, sometimes I have been accused of not being a team player because of my different view but because the future is an unknown I'm happy for each to have their own opinion. Some people have asked me in the Crime threads why do you think there would be problems or Crimes on Mars, we are building a Uotpia, new people will be born, the Best of the Best, there will be no stealing, no crimes, no theft, no assault, no sex perverts or thieves or strange personality types, why would ever allow such people to even get to Mars? The thing about the universe is while things are predictable it also has chaotic elements, a child may grow up to be like the mother or very like the father or you might get a truly random throw of the Dice and something unpredictable, the Swedish were happy with Eugenics, Compulsory sterilization in Sweden, it didn't target criminals it didn't just target people in jail, the homosexuals and mentally disabled or physically disabled, were stripped of their Reproductive rights, yet like good peas and bad peas in a pod, random happenings would keep being born, all of that eugenics finally started to end in Year 2013?

http://www.thelocal.se/38466/20120112/

You will have a mix of personality on Mars and after a while maybe as a colony grows into thousands perhaps some Law or Sheriff to keep Law and Order.

What is essential is Oxygen, Water, Shelter, Power Heat, perhaps basic Food Rations, this could be supplied by anyone group landing their first peoples, a Nation State, a future Kingdom, a Corporation or a Space Agency invests to keep its people healthy.
I want the USA to win, I would like it to win but it might not win. I would prefer the USA or a Western nation win as the first colony city Since I personally have lived in the West and prefer Western values I would like if the USA led the colonization of Mars but the USA leading might not always be. China or some strange new multi national corporation might get there first. A new space agency might suddenly invest massive in space and be ready to sacrifice more of its treasure, time and blood to get their first colony.

Rich peoples tend to do what rich peoples have always done, they might visit and record their curiosity, but they won't be the people digging the mines or fixing the oil in some engine, a rich King did not colonize the new world, it cost the lifestyle and history of the Native American many lives lost through fighting and disease but an America was colonized and perhaps modernized into a global new world in the end it took an immigration of peoples, as Musk goes he is unique for a rich person. I think for the 'rich' it might be a sight seeing curiosity, like Space tourism or the Japanese billionaire who seeks a trip around the Moon. The rich probably won't visit Mars until travel time gets more reliable and quicker. Flying used to be an exclusive rich club, like a First Class ticket on a ship, some of the first comet plane getting loaded with the richest of rich of their time.

We have interesting Antarctica Mars Analogue topics
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9798

For the colonist they might have basic bed or housing bed after a while when people go Mars direct and decided to stay they could be given a choice on what to buy and where to buy from. Countries and Corporations might bid against each other in a private battle just like you have different companies working with Satellites for Weather and Communications on Earth, an economic contest and a quality contest just like you have Car companies, different people making Drones, different mining and chemical companies, road builders and architects making 'better habitats'. Nationally there might be a contest of sorts as to which culture or language or type of government dominates Mars and is the most successful.

I am not against some kind of Military being first involved as a first wave of colonization as the military seem to have incredible training for their people, physically and mentally alert people finishing a job with an attitude to get things done. Norway and Britain were once in a race of sorts to the South Pole but it took huge might and military resources to have people live there. After Edmund Hillary and the local Sherpa mountaineer Tenzing Norgay became the first climbers confirmed to have reached the summit of Mount Everest, it would later become a tourist site with many climbing each year,  it might have also been one of the last great feats of the British Empire, British Mount Everest expedition and Edmund Hillary coming from the Royal New Zealand Air Force. I do not have any answer on the money topic but we already have many topics on Ores, electronic business, ways of financing colonies or science research or mines and topics on a Mars currency. It took a US military to put big impressive structures at the South Pole, would the US stations at the South Pole Antarctica have been finished so quick without the help of Construction Battalions and Admiral Richard Byrd, I don't believe anyone else could have done that job in the way the US military or Naval Seabee's did it, later the science people came along, the private sector and many multi national groups studying down at the South Pole. Perhaps there would be an element of militarization to the first wave of Mars colonization, basic delivery of supply, Drones finding Waters, built Beds and Bunk and Dormitory. This could be seen as a form of National investment and later Corporations, new Private Groups or Multi National Agency might bid to deliver new materials. Amundsen–Scott base today is the United States scientific research station run by the National Science Foundation.

I am of the opinion that maybe it won't be human first but Humanoid Robots or Enhanced genetically engineered Human Cyborg might first Colonize Mars before humans truly Colonize Mars. Perhaps a wise decision instead of wasting time and energy and resources into going back to another flag planting mission on the Moon, would be to send more Robots to Mars. First have your Robotic AI and Machines build your colony, have all your beds, chemical facility, Biodomes already built, your Nuclear reactor already one Mars and Biosphere systems ready before any human lands, the Space conquistador may want to return home but some might want to stay, they might have a level of self sufficiency like 3-D printing their own parts but that is not to say companies will not come in and provide needs and make their life one of more luxury.

How to Do Surgery on Mars
https://www.medpagetoday.com/surgery/ge … gery/92222
— Remote surgery ... in space

Who gets to run the Mars Hospitals?
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/ranked … s-in-2022/
Ranked: The Most and Least Livable Cities in 2022

'Imagining the First Mars Colony'
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8140

SpaceNut wrote:

Also, whom is the food creator for such rich folks.

The Rich at first might eat ration food or Airline type food or ISS style Space food, they might be allowed bring their notes, or personal trinket item and gizmos and cameras just as they did flying across the South Pole for many many trips right up until the Mount Erebus Air New Zealand disaster of 1979. The 'rich' doing trips to the ISS or trips around the Moon, while they help commercialize space perhaps they will have little influence on the long term colonization of Mars. If you think about it Mankind sailed the seas for thousands of years before Luxury Cruise ships and Luxury Cruise Liners turned them into spaces that would invite the rich to stay moving around on a long trip.

On the ISS today a rich tourist might have a personal assistant but they must pass the physical and mental health exam and eat the same foods as everyone else.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-09-13 08:08:54)

Board footer