New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#76 2021-12-12 14:07:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Home Solar System to Achieve Energy Usage Offset

This is a diy home build but its the information that we can make use of.

https://youtu.be/vng-CACPow0
Our Complete Solar System Cost With Battery Backup! 10kw Of Power

https://www.signaturesolar.com/?ref=cou … experience
all of our solar components at Signature Solar

This will be important after the failure of its grid.

How many operable power plants will Texas have this winter? See a map by fuel type]b493981ca5e868adb3462a6a4f105803

#77 2021-12-12 16:10:25

kbd512
Administrator

I was informed by my wife yesterday that for the very first time, the power company cut us a check for $60 for our $100,000 ($60K equipment and install, $40K loan interest over 25 years) solar array.  At that rate, it will only take 138.8 years for our home solar system to actually "pay for itself" (except that we received 1 check for 1 month of the year, and may receive 3 to 4 such checks per year, so if the solar panels last for 416.6 years, then we might actually make our money back.

How many of the rest of you are willing to wait for half a millennia for your solar roof to actually "pay for itself"?

We live in Houston, Texas, where sunlight is more common than dirt.  If you live anywhere with less sunlight than Texas, then you might be waiting a bit longer.  If you have $100K of disposable income, then you can run the same experiment that I did.  If you don't, then you might want to consider more practical alternatives.

If we attempt to re-power human civilization with "clean and abundant solar power", can anyone else hazard a guess as to how that might turn out?

#78 2021-12-13 16:16:54

Calliban

Another type of home solar system is what we call a conservatory here in the UK.  Basically a greenhouse that you build onto the south facing side of your house.  When temperature in the greenhouse rises above about 17°C, you can heat your house using the conservatory without any active heating.  And the conservatory is an extra room on the back of your house, which will boost it's resale value.  Since heating is most of the energy use in an average dwelling, it makes sense to start there.  My mum and dad built a conservatory covering about one half of the south facing side of their detached house about 5 years ago.  They use a wood burner for heating and since they got the conservatory, the amount of wood they consume has reduced by half.  My own house isn't suitable for a conservatory.  I plan to move as soon as I can.

The French took the idea of a conservatory further and developed the Trombe wall.  This was a dark wall built on the south facing side of property, with a sheet of glass over it and ducts at the top and bottom, entering the house.  If I were to build a house from scratch, I would align the house such that the longest walls face north and south, with a two storey conservatory on the south facing side and only small windows facing north.  Garages should be external to minimise heat loss.  The roof would slope south, rather than the more common apex design.  Solar air heating panels would line the entire area of the roof.  At the centre of the house, between the cellar and the ground floor, I would put an insulated thermal storage tank, with a volume of around 50m3.  Air would circulate through the panels and the tank.  The tank would transfer heat into the house over autumn and winter by conduction.  A wood burning stove would heat water and provide supplental space heating.  Generally, if you can provide the space and water heating for a house using natural sunlight and biomass, then you have taken care of 80% of the energy consumption of the house.

If I were to attempt to generate electricity off grid, I would probably opt for an oversize wind turbine with a DG for backup.  I would store excess wind energy as heat in the domestic hot water tank and the thermal storage tank.  I would only need the DG when wind power was at persistently low levels.  I worked out that I would need a 10kW wind turbine to cover my baseload electrical needs and the bulk of my winter heat needs.  In the UK, it would provide about 3kWe on average.  A turbine of that size would set me back about £80k ($100k).  It wasn't worth it when I looked at it a few years back.  Retail electricity rates in the UK are not about $0.36/kWh in US terms, ironically driven by the UK governments dash for wind power.  And god only knows how expensive gas will be after next April.  Now may be a good time to resurrect this project.

Last edited by Calliban (2021-12-13 16:36:26)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#79 2021-12-13 20:26:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Southern side of my home has intermittent trees that cast shade on the area that would be plausible for a greenhouse tent for the suns collected heat energy for sure. Down the road a bit there is a home that was set up with such a unit on the northern side of the home high above the house in front of it and it did make that home quite warm.
If I clear a crap ton of trees then its a bit more favorable other wise its a raised location above the roof line to take advantage of the suns energy.

I have wood to make heat with but since the cellar is the only place it could be placed the radiant heat would not warm the upstairs where we live in.

Not all properties are equal to the task of providing energy for its residents.

#80 2022-05-14 17:36:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

Seems the Texans have criticized Governor Greg Abbott over power generation issues after he repeatedly boasted about the state's power grid.  after "six power generation facilities" went offline Friday amid rising temperatures and high demand for power.

"We're asking Texans to conserve power when they can by setting their thermostats to 78-degrees or above and avoiding the usage of large appliances (such as dishwashers, washers and dryers) during peak hours between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. through the weekend,"

Still no AC in my home and it reached 90 degrees inside, have felt a little under the weather as headache and heat are not a good combination. Have been drinking water but its not cold.. Got one drink earlier in the day wit ice in it but it felt better on the head....

#81 2022-05-14 22:16:08

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Seems that Democrat Representative Veronica Escobar and "Beto" O'Rourke are the only Texans actually criticizing Governor Abbott in the Newsweek article.  The article was written by Fatma Khaled of newsweek.

From Fatma Khaled's LinkedIn page:

Covering an array of news beats ranging from international news to LGBTQ, U.S. politics, and business, my primary goal is to deliver shoe-leather reporting that would give readers the full picture. Throughout my journalism career in the U.S. and Egypt, I have focused on breaking news, long-form, investigative work, documentary filmmaking, and multimedia storytelling.Covering

For someone who has a primary goal of reporting that would "give readers the full picture", there is a single mention of "reaching out to Governor Abbott's office for comment" in the very last line of the article, probably a whole 5 minutes before her article was printed, but no word on a reply before Newsweek decided to print the article.  I do wonder about whether or not it'll ever be updated to indicate whether or not a response was received.

"Beto", the candidate who literally "ate dirt" after he lost his Senate race to Republican Senator Ted Cruz, and spending more money on a Senatorial election campaign than any other candidate in American history, promises that "when he is governor, he will fix the Texas electric grid".  Naturally, precisely zero details are provided related to how "Beto" plans to do that.  I find that this is a recurring theme with our Democrats.  They will promise anything and everything to get elected to office, but then after being elected they do stupid stuff like Presiden Biden does every day, such as single-sourcing baby formula contracts with Abbott (the baby formula company, not the governor of Texas) for baby formula because the government gets kick-backs (a legalized form of bribery), so now there's a national shortage of baby formula after the baby formula maker had to shut down operations due to contamination of the production line equipment and presumably the product as well.

"Elect me, I'll fix all your problems.  Just give up all your money and all your rights, and I'll solve everything." - nearly every Democrat in politics today

Some Democrats still wonder why total nutjobs like "Beto" O'Rourke are shown the door, no matter how much money they spend to try to get elected.  After enough lying and outrageous behavior, eventually normal people quit listening to you because you have no answers and nothing to say that they haven't heard before.

The reckoning is coming this November.  Unless Democrats quit doubling-down on stupid, it'll come again in 2024.

#83 2022-05-16 19:38:02

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

From your article:

The free market is the only way to lower the cost of upgrading and expanding our electricity grid. However, Biden administration appointees have stonewalled this effort by siding with utilities instead of consumers.

Incumbent electric utilities who oppose transmission competition would have you believe that electricity electrons stop at a state’s border. The vast majority of transmission is in interstate commerce and that is why it is subject to federal jurisdiction and why FERC action is needed to ensure that consumers benefit from competition and lower costs.

What a surprise there.  Authoritarians won't do anything for "the little guy", except talk a good game before elections, then deliver whatever the people who already have most of the money and power want.  I guess the consumer should simply be happy that they're permitted to have any energy to use at all.  The proposed solution from the left, as always, is "more government".  The government has already refused to do anything to help the consumer and is siding with the utility companies.

Why would we give the government more money and power to not do what it's already not doing (forcing open competition between service providers)?

Our elected officials have already been legally bribed, in the form of campaign contributions, to do the bidding of those who paid the largest bribes.  Unless you paid your bribe, then they will do absolutely nothing for you.  Politicians work for the people who have bribed them, not "We, The People".

Board footer