New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2003-08-17 05:05:47

sethmckiness
Banned

Re: SETI@HOME->NEWMARS - Discussion - newmars seti@home team

Only one other person joined after I set it up.  So, I waited two weeks then mvoed to another team, I had a friend ask me to.  The response wasn't all that great so I quit the team.

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#27 2003-08-22 10:43:59

Ranger_2833
Banned
Website

Seth:
50-60 work units per week?! Wow... It takes me about 100 hrs to complete a unit. It used to only take about 24 when i first joined, but I think that they upped the work unit size.

I am running SETI@Home constantly in the background (instead of just the screensaver) on a 500mhz machine with 190 Mb RAM, and it takes me about a week to do one. What are you running it on?

Just another American pissed off with the morons in charge...

Motto:  Ex logicus, intellegentia... Ex intellegentia, veritas.

#28 2003-08-25 11:28:01

Ian
Banned

Could the extratresstrials use the infrared wavelength to communicate?

#29 2003-08-25 15:38:02

Ranger_2833
Banned
Website

There'd be an awful lot of noise to filter out. But would they want to? It'd be easier to use a less noisy EM band.

Just another American pissed off with the morons in charge...

Motto:  Ex logicus, intellegentia... Ex intellegentia, veritas.

#30 2003-08-28 14:26:34

Ian
Banned

Maybe the extratresstrials' biology is different and they had different kinds of communications technology so they chose infrared to communicate. You can't rule out the possibility.

#31 2003-08-31 20:49:35

sethmckiness
Banned

Maybe the extratresstrials' biology is different and they had different kinds of communications technology so they chose infrared to communicate. You can't rule out the possibility

But Ian, your missing the point of ease of radiation.  With all the IR sources the noise floor will be higher then RF.  I am not up IR transmission but I am a journeyman level Satellite Communications Technician.  I know that for sending a directionalized single voice or small bandwidth signal that UHF is the best.   Ease of radiation, cost of radiation, and power required.  But anything between about 200mhz-40ghz is what we need to look at. 

The problem with that is we barely have the processing power to look at one frequency, let alone a 39.8 ghz range.

Just something to consider.

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

Board footer