New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#576 2020-12-24 18:11:11

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut re #575

My apologies ... the group after 880 is tomorrow's lineup.

Thanks for taking care of 359-880!

This evening's TV programming is likely to include some stories that fit the season ...

The "Dancing Postman" story really hit the spot here << grin >>

A laid off Dad took pictures of his pre-school aged daughter bouncing up and down on the couch in front of a picture window when the postman made his rounds, and what was neat was that the postman bounced right back.   The interview included everyone involved. 

Edit#1: Here is the quote from GW Johnson about his proximity to the SpaceX test site:

PS --  Musk is moving to Texas because he is building a Tesla motors plant somewhere around Austin.  Plus he has two big test sites in Texas for his Spacex operation.  Everything that flies from Canaveral,  Vandenburg,  or Boca Chica still gets test-fired on the ground at McGregor.  I hear it every day.  Multiple times a day.  My front porch is just about 6 miles line-of-sight from their test stands.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-24 19:01:49)

#577 2020-12-25 10:32:03

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... no action required ...

Documentation of Experiment with Banned Table and Banned ID's Tool

3aplus63Raf is present in the Banned table but it is Not present in the Main table

Experiment: Remove ID from Banned table

Expected result: ID should disappear from banned table and NOT show up in main table

Actual result: ID is gone from banned table

ID did not show up in the main table

Evaluation: The Remove command appears to remove the ID from the banned table

What is NOT yet determined is whether the Remove command in this tool will remove the ID from both the banned table and the main table if the id is present in both.

Since an experiment along these lines could eliminate an ID from the now unrenewable set of ID's in the main table, I do not consider the risk worth taking. It is sufficient to know that the FluxBB code will remove an unmatched ID from the Banned table

for future actions with respect to spurious entries in the Banned table:

In the absence of a special purpose SQL query to remove unmatched ID's from the Banned table:

1) Select the ID from the banned table
2) Search for the ID in the main table
3) If the ID is NOT present in the main table, then the ID may safely be deleted from the Banned table (Remove command)
4) If the ID IS present in the main table, then it is present in both tables and it must be given special handling.
4a) Rename the Id in the main table
4b) Unban the ID in the main table
4c) Confirm the original ID is no longer present in the main table
4d) Confirm the original ID is STILL present in the banned table
43) Remove the original ID from the banned table

The renamed ID should still be present in the Main table, marked as Member and ready for use.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-25 10:41:46)

#578 2020-12-25 10:38:22

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery project ...

this post is reserved for ID's 881-902

At the start of this work session, there are 16,494 ID's present in the Main Table.

For SpaceNut ... please take a look at this ID ...Andrewgum

Edit#1: TestID00893 has a post still attached.

Edit#2: ID's 881-902 are ready for unbanning

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-25 11:41:25)

#579 2020-12-25 17:57:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Script line in post 567 only gets you a name list of those that have a ban next to their ID and nothing more as to why they are banned as we did not do all that many notes for tracking them.

Remove only unbans the id not delete anything from it....if you only do the ones that are zero from the user list you do not need to see if there is any posts to decide if its of value.... remember we are locking accounts that have posts that did not post in the last 30 days in the data base as there is no other means to protect the forum......

So get the name from the banned list go to the user list to find that name and then make changes if it has no posts...

This is why I was able to detect users that had duplicate emails as is a problem for clean user id that is attached to a data base number.....

When a user has a count record you need to look at the posts if it comes back with nothing then its a spammer account where the posts were removed and the user was banned....

Have taken care of all users that had a post count... by checking show all posts it gives the next quote field response..

Last post: 2020-11-07 18:29:45

Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions

Admin note
moderator modified 12121212121

response if there are no posts but a user count

Info

There are no posts by this user in this forum.

Once you make the changes use this script to see the
new names that begin with test* to remove the banning...

#580 2020-12-25 20:15:29

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #579

Thank you for your detailed reply ... distilling the essence, I found this:

So get the name from the banned list go to the user list to find that name and then make changes if it has no posts...

I think that's the key .. because it is taking longer and longer to find banned ID's starting from page 0 of 330 pages, your recommendation looks promising.

I'll try your suggestion tomorrow.

Hope your family activities were fun and safe for everyone!

Ours were entirely virtual this year, but surprisingly rewarding despite that. 

(th)

#581 2020-12-25 20:46:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

Long distances traveled for just a few hours and a meal with family is always worth the hardship it entails on the one driver. The best joy of all is the face of the sons and wife as they do not get to see each other often enough even with her high levels of pain to move about.

Open up the 3 tabs
1 find banned names to convert
2 located to edit username with zero posts
3 confirm new name is in the banned list with no duplicates
4 remove ban

#582 2020-12-25 21:02:05

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #581

Thanks for pointing the way ...

From my perspective you've just described a double back flip on the parallel bars .... I'll take it a step at a time.  I'll report my progress.

Eventually I may feel competent to complete the process without your having to fill in the gaps.

(th)

#583 2020-12-26 07:25:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery .... this post reports on a test of the new Banned Tool procedure with one record (#3750)

Following (as much as I can) of your suggestions to improve the process, my plan for today is to begin with the Banned Tool

1) Run Banned Tool
2) Select first entry
3) Copy ID and paste it into the Public ID lookup
4) If the ID is NOT found I can safely remove it from the Banned table .. It is there because of an oversight in programming in FluxBB
5) If the ID IS found, then it can be examined to see if it is a candidate for recovery
6) If the ID IS a candidate for recovery, then it will be processed as usual
7) If the candidate is NOT a candidate for recovery, it will be reported here
8) If the ID was recovered, then the Banned Tool will be rerun to see if the ID is still present
9) If the ID is still present, it will be Removed
10) The recovered ID will be confirmed as usual

This procedure is a bit more work, but the net benefit is that two tables will be brought into alignment

Edit#1: Here is a snapshot of the procedure successfully applied today:

Aaron47846    Edit | Remove  Record #3750 <<== This number is assigned by MySql to the Banned Id record for Aaron47846 in the Banned ID table

User search
Find and sort users
Username
Pages: 1
User list
Username    Title    Posts    Registered
Your search returned no hits.

Remove requested (this action will remove the ID from the Banned ID's table.
It will have no effect on the Main user table

Result: Aaron47846 is no longer displayed in the Banned Tool

There are 16,494 Users in the Main Table

There are between 2950 and 3000 entries in the Banned ID's Table. The count has been reduced by one.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-26 08:20:47)

#584 2020-12-26 08:21:18

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Recovered ID's project ... this post is reserved for ID's 903-924

Total number of registered users: 16,494 At start of work session.
User List page in process at start: 8
User List page at finish: 9
Total number of registered users: 16,494 at end of work session.

903-924 are ready for unbanning

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-26 09:27:37)

#585 2020-12-26 09:47:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

It appears that after the remove for the Aaron47864 that its not in the public userlist tab; so to make a change to the no show we will need the name for the http://newmars.com/forums/admin_users.php location to be able to make the change to the account to access it to place it back into the public area.
Unban performed on id's 903 -924

counters reset for 906, 908,924

#586 2020-12-26 11:24:53

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #585

The name Aaron47864 was changed to TestID00???

At the time the change was made, the Banned Id's table was not updated.  That is a missing piece of code in FluxBB.

By removing the name Aaron47864 from the Banned Id's table, we have corrected referential integrity between the users table and the Banned ID's table.

Advanced database systems, such as Oracle and Microsoft's SQL, have referential integrity built in.  Inexpensive (ie, free) shareware databases like MySQL may not.  In any case, referential integrity was not implemented in this instance.

The code writers simply did not anticipate anyone would rename a banned record.  The result is that after I have renamed a record, the Banned table has not been updated with the new name.  When you unban the renamed user record, the original name is still present in the Unbanned table.

In the next post, I will offer the first of what I hope will be a series about the tables in the FluxBB database.

(th)

#587 2020-12-26 11:25:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re FluxBB database

A database is quite different from a spreadsheet. A spreadsheet can be thought of as one big table.  A database may contain many tables which link to each other.

I’m assuming you know everything I’m about to report, but others may be interested.

/**
* Copyright (C) 2008-2012 FluxBB
* based on code by Rickard Andersson copyright (C) 2002-2008 PunBB
* License: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html GPL version 2 or higher
*/

A major table in the FluxBB system is called “users”

That table contains fields, but at this point I don’t know how many fields there are.

I’m expecting to find another table for Banned ID’s

The fluxbb.org web site was offline this morning (2020/12/26) and I have no way of knowing when it will be back up.  Fortunately, I was farsighted enough to download the current version of FluxBB, and it is the extract of the download that I am using as a source for this report.

Here is a line from a php source code file that I’ll introduce for study in this post:

$db->prefix.'users AS u WHERE u.id>1 AND u.group_id!=

From this code fragment, we can deduce:

We have a table named users
For the procedure under study, the name “users” is given an alias of “u”

Inside table users there is a field called id        
    This field contains a numeric value used by the database for linking tables
    The id field is distinct from the alphameric field used to show the name for the user

Also inside table users there is a field called group_id

This is a numeric field which originates with the group table
    The value in this field matches the record_id of a record in the group table

My guess is that the code I'm reviewing is trying to find out what kind of user is running the script.

I’m hoping to resume this study in the near future

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-26 11:29:12)

#588 2020-12-26 15:52:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

http://newmars.com/forums/userlist.php public
Here is the search for aaron*

Username      Title  Posts  Registered
aaron             Member 1 2006-09-02
Aaron Chester Member 18 2002-02-28

http://newmars.com/forums/admin_users.php   admin
Here is what comes up with the same aaron*

Username       Email                                Title/Status  Posts Admin note  Actions  Select
aaron              aaron*****.com                 Member       1       View IP stats | Show posts 
Aaron Chester  chestera*****                    Member       18     View IP stats | Show posts 
Aaron47846     aaronkleeman43***.com      Not verified  0      View IP stats | Show posts 
AaronPried      azamatkasymaliev86**.com   Not verified  0      View IP stats | Show posts

These are not quite the same script for access to the data so by removing the ban it gets put back into the admin side and not the public side...

Not all that register get into the public side if they do not do the link confirm that is sent.

Php files are the scripts that run in the address bar, so filename.php must contain the script you wish to run....
So we are using a command line interface in the browser address bar of the operands that have expressions written for them...

#589 2020-12-26 19:10:44

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post 588 ...

Thanks for the demonstration of output from admin_users.php!  That is a new clue to follow to try to understand why Aaron47846 seems to be hanging around. There ** has ** to be a table where that ID is preserved.  The "Not verified" status is another clue.

Here is another part of the php file I'm studying right now:

// Grab the users
    $result = $db->query('SELECT u.id, u.username, u.title, u.num_posts, u.registered, g.g_id, g.g_user_title FROM '.$db->prefix.'users AS u LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'groups AS g ON g.g_id=u.group_id WHERE u.id IN('.implode(',', $user_ids).') ORDER BY '.$sort_by.' '.$sort_dir.', u.id ASC') or error('Unable to fetch user list', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

This snippet shows more fields in the users table, and also confirms there is a groups table ...

The users table contains: u.id (a number used for linking), u.username (characters) , u.title (characters), u.num_posts (a number), u.registered (a date)

(th)

#590 2020-12-26 19:19:54

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... following up on the clue you provided for admin_users.php

Here is a snippet from that file:

$result = $db->query('SELECT DISTINCT poster_id, poster FROM '.$db->prefix.'posts WHERE poster_ip=\''.$db->escape($ip).'\' ORDER BY poster ASC LIMIT '.$start_from.', 50') or error('Unable to fetch post info', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());
    $num_posts = $db->num_rows($result);

The next table that we can see is "posts"  ... there had to be such a table, of course, and there it is.

In the query shown, the posts by the user are pulled based upon a match of the user ID with the corresponding value in the posts table.

Edit#1: And here is the "bans" table ....

$db->query('INSERT INTO '.$db->prefix.'bans (username, ip, email, message, expire, ban_creator) VALUES('.$ban_username.', '.$ban_ip.', '.$ban_email.', '.$ban_message.', '.$ban_expire.', '.$pun_user['id'].')') or error('Unable to add ban', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());
        }

Presumably when the "Remove" command is issued, the record for the banned user is removed from the "bans" table.  However, you have shown that an ID can persist in the database, even after the initial user record was renamed, and the entry in the bans table removed.

Edit#2: This snippet shows the table "forums"

// Fetch forum list and clean up their moderator list
            $result = $db->query('SELECT id, moderators FROM '.$db->prefix.'forums') or error('Unable to fetch forum list', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-26 21:25:51)

#591 2020-12-27 07:35:09

tahanson43206

The batch for today runs from 925-946

Before starting the ID's, I'd like to suggest there might be an opportunity to work with the energy your Internal Combustion topic has generated.

The topic itself has staying power, and it seems to have generated a bit of a competitive spirit

The supporters of the All Electric option for construction equipment are "energized"

There seems to be a small but potentially significant interest in a hybrid of electric and hydraulic technologies, harnessed for construction.

There is another option (of many) .... an IC could be used to operate a generator that would deliver power for electric motors operating hydraulic actuators.

My interest here is in seeing the flow of creativity in this forum lead to something a future Mars settler could read/study to make decisions about materials, human skills, procedures and whatever else is needed to insure a successful mining venture on Mars.

The flow of conversation in the forum is like conversation in any situation .... one observation leads to a connection that reminds a participant of something else entirely. 

The author of a text book, or even of a paper that stands alone, generally tries to follow a sequence that leads from an opening through to a conclusion, with something learned along the way if all goes well.

FluxBB.org remains unreachable. I'll continue trying to ferret out the structure of the FluxBB database later today, if current plans hold.

Regarding design of the FluxBB database .... SpaceNut, as you know, the authors of the FluxBB database have copied username from the users table to the bans table.  This is a violation of one of the cardinal rules of design of a relational database.  As you know, a piece of data should never be duplicated in a permanent table.  The problem we are seeing, with the bans table not updating when the username is changed in the users table, is an excellent example of the reason for the design rule. 

That said, (as you know), a programmer can (and often will) violate the rules for optimum database design to improve performance.  By storing the user name in the bans file, the programmer saves the time it would take to open the users table and pull that information at run time.  The downside is that the programmer needs to introduce integrity checking code into the procedures that work with the database, and clearly that was not done.

There appears to be a third table where someone has copied the username.  That shows up with the procedure you ran that found a user that should have been removed from the database.  It is gone from the users table due to the rename operation, and I removed it from the bans table, but you still found it.

My objective in the next phase of study of the FluxBB database is to try to find that third instance of username.

Edit after checking bans table after performing rename in users table.

The renamed account is being updated in the bans table.  All the ID's I have processed this morning are in the bans table with their TestID names.

FYI ... the TESTID01nnn ID's you created are showing up in the bans table on page 51 of the listing.

Edit#2: Thus member from 2004 was on a one-post rant about changing the name of Pluto

AnonYmus - Essentials
User activity
Last post: 2004-02-17 15:07:45
Posts: 1 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-27 09:20:55)

#592 2020-12-27 10:04:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

I wanted to wait to push them back into the user side until all numbers had been filled in up to them...

I picked this account to show the relationships of a post all done from the userlist public

User has an php_id # that gets a php_pid # for a post that is kept in a topic php_Id # for the user...and the user php_id can also be tracked to a topic php_ID # as well...
As far as the date and time assigned to the post id that seems to kept in a data base location, with the post count auto generated when its viewed...

I also did a check of a user that was before the conversions and they still follow these rules. Those that had posts but where banned also still follow. The exceptions that do not are users that didn't completely activation and users that were deleted as far as I can see....

As far as integrity its can be a flag bit for the user id and not really a different data base for the admin versus public displayable information.

#593 2020-12-27 12:12:04

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re FluxBB database structure ....

In the absence of FluxBB.org itself, I decided to take a look at the Open Source forum from which FluxBB was developed ...

https://punbb.informer.com/wiki/punbb13 … _reference

If you follow the link above, you'll see the layout of the PunBB database.

To my surprise, PunBB is still operating, and there are updates listed as recently as January of 2020.

(th)

#594 2020-12-27 12:59:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thanks for the link as I had not really attempted to search out the command line script parts...
Have done the unban for 925 -932 that were complete in the changes thus far for the day...

#595 2020-12-27 15:40:06

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re 594

Thanks for noting the link to the database tables Wiki from the precursor bulletin board site.

My initial scan of the tables came up with only two instances of the field "username" ... The first, and the expected one, is in table "users".

The other, as we discovered by looking at the php scripts, was in the bans table.  I figure that the Username is used this way for a subtle reason. Even though duplicating the field ** is ** a violation of database convention (for a relational database) there ** is ** a benefit that comes from doing so.  If (as I expect) the field is defined as NOT allowing duplicates, the Administrator is made aware immediately if there is a duplication of user name in the bans table.

That may or may not be the case, but it could be an explanation.  Otherwise, the table would have been smaller if the numeric ID field had been used to link back to the user record.  An example of what that looks like is the ID field that points back to the Adminstrator who banned the user.

Thanks too, for unbanning the records I completed before the Sunday morning news shows started << grin >>  I'll see if I can finish today's batch now.

ant of stargrail - Essentials
User activity
Last post: 2004-08-14 08:09:40

Ant of Stargrail joined in 2004 and spent a busy two months.

SpaceNut.... the posts for this user ** may ** be worth salvaging. I can't tell.

In any case, they are subject to the Great Crash changes.

The balance of today's batch are completed through 946.

By experimenting with procedures, I've found a simple way to dramatically speed up the process.

Since I am working from the beginning of the default User List, the place where I'm working now consists of the set of ID's that begin with "ant".

Most of the ID's in that set were banned, so I'm mining ID's without searching.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-27 16:13:07)

#596 2020-12-27 16:23:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

During the crash years I know that as many as another 5,000 posts of my own have been lost and lots more collectively. Hopefully someday I can get full access and bring them all back.

Unban for Id's 933 - 946 done....

#597 2020-12-27 22:01:30

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #596 and especially re the long post from 2017 in the IC topic ...

Thanks for taking care of 933-946!

I was impressed by your comprehensive collection of links and comments in the post from 2017.  There's too much data there (for me at least) to absorb in one reading, but I'm glad to know it is there to review as needed or as a question arises.

I updated the Space Show post about Space based Solar Power, but did not create a new post, so if you are at all interested in SPS there is fresh text there.

(th)

#598 2020-12-28 08:35:30

tahanson43206

This post is reserved for ID's 947-968

Before start: Total number of registered users: 16,494

Note: The bans table is shrinking.  It is down from 61 pages to 59.  The table shrinks as the Test ID's are unbanned.

When this project is finished, an Earth year from now or so, the bans table should be empty.

947-968 are ready for unbanning.

Total number of registered users: 16,494

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-28 12:40:58)

#599 2020-12-28 20:09:35

SpaceNut
Administrator

Unban of id's 947 - 968 done with no duplicate emails in the bunch....

#600 2020-12-29 07:28:24

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #599

Thanks for taking care of the 947 - 968 Recovered ID's!   We are closing in on the first 1000, and we ** still ** have not added a single new member, let alone a high-value contributor.  I have completed setup and testing of a machine specifically able to accept petitions from prospective members.

We (you and I at this point) need to start thinking about advertising for members in trade journals, science fiction magazines, college newsletters and wherever else it makes sense to look for people who might be interested in helping with My Hacienda, or with any of the ongoing projects taking shape in this forum.

The Large Ship by RobertDyck is well established at this point.

kbd512 has tossed an interesting challenge into the Internal Combustion engine topic, and I have duplicated it in the Electric topic.

We need to establish a connection to the Mars Wiki and find out how to add content so we can begin working on an Handbook for Mars Settlers.

This post is reserved for 969-990.  ID count in the Main Table is: Total number of registered users: 16,494

The bans table is down to 58 pages at the start of today's work session.

For SpaceNut ... this is another suggestion for dealing with akwx128

The ID is currently banned.  As I understand the situation, you would like to preserve the posts by this ID, but prevent the ID from logging in.

There ** is ** a way we could do that, without changing the password.  When I suggested changing the password, you expressed concern about that option.

If we change the name of the ID to something that captures the value of the content of the posts, then we could safely unban the ID.

I am interested in getting the ID out of bans table.

What do you think of changing the name of the ID without changing the password?

Here is an ID with 170 posts dating back to 2004 ... I've been looking forward to visiting this ID ...

Well! My question at this point would be .... why save this set of posts?  It contains personal attacks that (in my opinion) would be worth review.

ANTIcarrot. - Essentials
User activity
Last post: 2005-01-26 16:22:20
Posts: 170 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions

The next member in the series is Antius ... we've already heard about Antius.  His name was brought up recently by kbd512.

Antius - Essentials
User activity
Last post: 2018-03-10 23:01:15
Posts: 1,003 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions

For kbd512 re Antius ... are there posts within that set of 1,003 that you recommend?  The manner of departure of Antius puts me off reading any of them.
Here is a member from 2004 who contributed 31 posts

Anton Kuratnik - Essentials
User activity
Last post: 2003-08-19 21:07:12
Posts: 31 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions

The posts by this member become unreadable pretty quickly due to Great Crash issues ... the posts that I did seew seem political in tone.
ID's 969-990 are ready for unbanning

Tomorrow will put the project over the first 1000 (plus the ID's that are beyond that target already).

A question that came to me today was related to a comment you made earlier in this topic ...

You had indicated that applications for membership start out in a "not verified" state.

Is there a way to see ID's that are in a "not verified" state?  I don't see anything that shows that in the tools available to me.

My assumption is that verification would require a submission of a request for a permanent password from FluxBB by the applicant.

That request would (presumably) be delivered to the email provided by the applicant.

However, since so many of the emails I am seeing are (pretty clearly) computer generated, I'm wondering if the spammers had to create the email accounts in order to receive the test password they would have had to use to login to make a post.

But if the emails were stolen (purchased from a hacker) then the test email would have gone to the original email account holder, who would (presumably) have deleted it.

???

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-29 11:58:59)

Board footer