New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#476 2020-12-06 13:15:02

GW Johnson
Website

Re: Housekeeping

Spacenut:

Sorry to hear your car isn't yet fixed.  Subaru uses an unusual 4 cylinder horizontally-opposed water-cooled design in all of their models,  as far as I know.  Their reputation is generally rather good,  as best I can tell.  I don't often see a Subaru in the repair shop,  myself.

Where you live in New England is snow/ice/salt country.  The salt promotes severe corrosion,  especially in fasteners and parts that break instead of coming loose when you try to remove them.  That's true of all brands.  It limits the useful life of a vehicle to about 10-15 years. 

The 20+ year lives we get down here in Texas are because there is little or no need to salt the roads in winter.  The main sources of worse-than-usual corrosion are vehicles at the coast exposed to sea salt,  and some west Texas vehicles exposed to salt pan sand.

The worst troubles that I do see in the repair shop,  and blown head gaskets are indeed one of them,  trace to cheap rather than cost-effective (for the buyer) design.  I just replaced an intake manifold on a Buick for a blown manifold gasket leaking water,  because the part itself was seriously distorted. 

It was a plastic part through which hot exhaust gas was routed (from the EGR valve).  There's just no excuse for that kind of deliberate misdesign-for-profit. (In my opinion.)  But the law lets them get away with crap like that.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2020-12-06 13:15:49)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#477 2020-12-06 16:47:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thanks GW for the looking up of the subaru head work. For the Subaru when of the engine size it had early issues with the head gaskets design with materials delaminating causing the failures to occur early. They have redesign them 3 times that I am aware of and even the after market might not live up to the duration expected for life of the car.

The unbanning has been completed for the id's 478 - 484.

Now to look at those other id's that you questioned.

edit for post 460

user ids all look like it should be a candidate for outreach to see if they are still interested in their account with come of the data being corrupted in conversions or the crash....

The next post which contains User ID: Aa Seat Assignment can be converted since there is no posts to it.

Username: aaron sees things conspiracy is not an issue to leave or reach out to...

Username: Aaron Chester is another outreach

ID: AaronPoult is one to convert for sure as its got a questionable time zone.

#478 2020-12-06 18:57:11

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #477

Thanks for the report on Subaru design changes.  Best wishes for success with the repair!

*** Per your instructions Aa Seat Assignment and AaronPoult ID's were converted.  Other Id's will remain for eventual outreach.

(th)

#479 2020-12-07 10:05:15

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... When you get a free moment, please take a look at the posts by AbusedMember.

They date back to 2008.  They ** are ** in the Chat topic, where just about anything can be posted.

These posts appear to me to be testing whatever limits there may be for the Chat topic.

This forum is open to the entire world, and its contents reflect upon the Mars Society.

Edit#1: We have reached a mini-milestone in the ID Recovery project initiated by SpaceNut.

As of a few minutes ago, TestID00500 was recovered.

Because of this mini-milestone, I thought to show the nature of the ID's I'm encountering. Please keep in mind this ID was previously banned by SpaceNut.

AblokKer

ablokces@poreglot.ru

Last post: Never

This IP address is registered to:
leksii V Yaroshenko
Kiev, Ukraine

Our friends the Russians are not the ** only ** creators of spam ID's on the forum, but I'm seeing a lot of them.

Just imagine how this forum could be progressing if all that energy and creativity had been invested in helping humanity to settle Mars!

Edit #2:  This project will reach 1000 recovered ID's by December 31st on Earth, if the present pace continues.

I would like to see at least ** one ** high-value addition to the active membership by then.

The position currently on requisition is a chef with experience in provisioning and managing a large cruise ship or military food service operation.

This person will (hopefully) assist RobertDyck in scoping out the facilities, supplies and personnel needed for a Large ship voyage.

Edit#3: For SpaceNut ... ID's 485-506 are ready for unbanning

Edit#4: Calliban introduced the expression "embedded energy" in a number of his posts.  I asked FluxBB to find all occurrences of that expression, and it was unable to do so... It persisted in separating the words and finding all posts with either word, or perhaps both but separated by vast strings of text.

I'd like to introduce the expression "embedded knowledge".  This expression would refer to the knowledge it takes to create an object.  It would apply only to humanly created objects at this point, but when we humans encounter other intelligent beings, we can include their creations.

The interest I have in this is related to the simple fact that a small population living on Mars (or anywhere away from Earth) will be able to sustain a "first world" culture as long as their machines and processes hold up.  If a piece of equipment contains embedded knowledge that is not carefully packaged for retrieval by the settlers, then that knowledge will disappear with the demise of that device.

We see this happen every day on Earth, but in the present time (2020) we are (in advanced cultures) able to procure replacement equipment without difficulty.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-07 11:58:56)

#480 2020-12-07 16:04:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

unbanning ID's 485-506 has been completed

Have removed and saved in report function the content so that user AbusedMember can be claimed...

The search needs the format of "embedded and energy" to narrow down the topics count returned...

#481 2020-12-08 08:37:18

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #480

Edited 2020/12/09 ... my memory of the expression Calliban used was incorrect.  SpaceNut clarified that the expression was "embodied energy".

First, thanks for taking care of 485-506!
Second, thanks for taking care of AbusedMember ... that account is recovered.
Third ... Actually, I'm looking for a way to get ** just ** the posts which contain the two words ** together **.
The "and" construction you offered delivers posts that contain "embedded" and then miles away, the word "energy"
Calliban used the term "embedded energy" several times, and I wanted to go back to refresh my memory of his observations.
Instead of delivering just those posts, FluxBB search came back with hundreds of posts.

As a challenge (if you have time which I understand you may not) please see what luck you have trying to find just "embedded energy" posts.

Here is the next legacy member I found in my Recovery routing:

Acidrain - Essentials
Last post: 2004-05-08 01:05:22
Posts: 7 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions

The discussion back in 2004 appeared to be mostly about decisions being made then about the Shuttle, but Acidrain was also interested in the concept of moving a population to Mars as a one-way undertaking.

Edit#1: 507-528 are ready for unbanning.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-09 08:19:55)

#482 2020-12-08 18:46:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

The key word was not embedded but was embodied for Calliban's posts which narrow down to being with a dozen topics.

Now for some news as I was contacted by jfenciso with a question for established a research pipeline about Mars from different discipline or field of expertise?

Of course this was augmented with "Several of the forum members as well as myself are looking for ways to bring the forum into an important role for mars society as  in business opportunities or research scientific testing of  concepts..

A discussion in the forum involved algae not only as a fuel but for life support on the surface of mars. This sounds like an opportunity to channel ideas into meaningful research chances for mars university as well as for the analog sites to try."

James Burk said that he would be bring this to Dr Robert Zubrin and Dr Shannon Rupert (Director of MDRS) soon.

This is good news for sure....

Will now go to work on the unbanning.....

edit unban of id's 508 - 528 are complete

#483 2020-12-09 07:58:05

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #482

First, ** thanks ** for correcting my search string!  "embodied" and "embedded" are close but NO Cigar !!!

Second, thanks for taking care of 508-528 !! I would like to suggest/nominate a domain expert for you to consider for invitation to join the forum.

In the past few weeks, a domain expert (on algae) was brought to my attention by a member of the North Houston chapter of the National Space Society.

I posted several notices about the event where this gent was to make a presentation, the presentation itself and a follow up.

I will now collect specific information about this gent and post it in the Recruiting topic.  I'd like to suggest we .... er, ? you ? set up a formal procedure for nominations of candidates for invitation to join the forum in support of specific projects.

I'll also write to this gent to insure he is aware of your initiative (with James Burk) as reported in Post #482.

To all ... we have an open requisition for a domain expert to assist RobertDyck in planning the food provisioning for the Large Ship.

The candidate will have decades of experience provisioning and supervising food delivery on a large civilian or military vessel.

The candidate will be retired and willing to assist on a Pro Bono basis.

The outcome of the project will be detailed plans for all aspects of the provisioning of food for 1066 persons in a space vessel on a voyage of a minimum of two years.

Edit: ID's 529-550 are ready for unbanning.

Please take a look at: adelaide - Essentials

Edit#2: A contact form inquiry was initiated: https://www.spirainc.com/contact

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-09 12:14:13)

#484 2020-12-09 18:09:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

I did find a duplicate in the admin ban page but its seems more like a data base issue....
The unban was completed for the 529 -550...
The id Adelaide is in the middle of the users that have been banned and it does look as if its a spammer by the email name used in that the location is the same as the others.
I will give James a few more days as its so close to the holidays and give a poke to find out how the discussion went with Dr Robert Zubrin and Dr Shannon Rupert (Director of MDRS).
The website did look really good for contacts and for resource information for working with the product even at the analog sights for making foods from it.

#485 2020-12-09 19:12:59

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #484

Thanks for looking at Adelaide ... I'll reset it shortly.

Thanks for looking at the algae web site ... I'll let you know if I hear back from anyone at the company.

Regarding the possible duplicate .... I ran a quick check, and found the total number of Test ID's matches the 550 count.

If you want me to look at any of the completed ID's just let me know which one.

(th)

#486 2020-12-09 19:39:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

The extra contained 531 but when I added the a to the end it did not show up but still did in the admins panel. Further changed it to have an a in the front and it still did not show. What was strange was that it had the same email address as one of the others....I will continue to see if I can resolve it...

#487 2020-12-10 09:40:18

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID's review

If you get a free minute, please take a look at this account: AdelaArdil - Essentials

The IP address is from something called Azure Technologies from Denver.  That ** might ** be Microsoft as an IP provider.

In any case, the registrant never posted and the email is out of sync with the claimed "name".

551-572 are ready for unbanning
I've marked member records in the next day's set with questions ... Aditi in particular looks worth sending an email to ask if they are interested in helping to advance knowledge of Indian progress since 2002.

Aditi might well be part of the Indian space program by now.

Edit#1: Here is the start of a suggestion for a possible new topic in the Technology Index level .... Practical Tips for Maintenance

I'm thinking of your Subaru engine repair as an example of something that might be of interest to a member or two.

Whatever features of a design that could be improved on Earth could be improved again for service on Mars.

A picture of the cleaned up head(s) (if there is more than one) might be posted to imgur.com and referenced here.

A bit of text explaining what we are looking at, and how you dealt with the situation, would/could have lasting value.

Links to YouTube videos could be collected by someone interested in developing the subtopic further.

I have NO doubt Mars residents will be doing gasket replacement.  The principles should be transferable from Earth to Mars and possibly back again.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-10 12:51:55)

#488 2020-12-10 17:36:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

Posts for a mars car could be taken from this existing topic  to create but it would take some time to execute.

Will check out AdelaArdi and do the unbanning

#489 2020-12-10 18:31:44

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #488

You went ** way ** beyond what I was thinking << grin >>

This forum contains a ** lot ** of discussion of various possible designs for vehicles that would be useful on Mars.

The examples on the planet now are all electric drive designs, and I expect that category of vehicle will continue to develop because it is so well matched to the environment.

However, a piston engine might prove worth developing, and your Subaru experience (and that of others in this forum with other piston vehicles) might prove helpful to a young person in the audience who might be thinking about combining an interest in legacy automobiles with an interest in Mars. 

A vehicle for the Mars environment will need to carry both oxidizer and fuel.  Lox and methane would seem worth considering for a bulldozer, for example, or a road scraper, or a large bucket loader.

You might bet some significant mileage out of a topic set up to design and maintain a piston engine category of vehicles for the Mars challenge.

(th)

#490 2020-12-11 15:09:55

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID's review ...

Here is a summary of the membership of an early Administrator of the forum:

Adrian
Title

Signature
Editor of New Mars

User activity
642 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions
Last post
2008-01-06 08:37:28
Registered
2001-09-04

First post: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=7#p7

Last post: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 39#p104239

I found the posts I visited interesting. 

*** ID's 573-594 are ready for unbanning.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-11 15:18:36)

#491 2020-12-11 18:05:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

The history of Adrain was from the beginning as a blog unrelated to Mars society to one where it became a focus point to help get the word out there for mars and for the socity. It went through some very hard times with servcers, forum programs, ect and like anything that is worth while in keeping going many have taken the helm along the way to keep it possible for others to meet and greet about space....

will take care of those id's 573-594 and are now completed for the unbanning.

I trust that you did notice the email names and servers that these spammers of the years have tried to pull over our eyes....

#492 2020-12-11 18:28:09

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re 491

Thanks for your comments about Adrian and his leadership in the early days.

Thanks for the updates to 573-594

It is sometimes difficult to look at the email addresses that the spammers have created.  Some (many) are (I'm sure) scraped from legitimate web sites during hacker attacks.  Some are created out of thin air to convey a message.  It is those I often find jarring.

It is a nice reward for plodding through the spammers to come across a ** real ** member like Adrian, and I am looking forward to other such encounters in the three (Earth) years it will take to complete this project.

FYI (as you may have noticed) .... any ID you have not marked as banned I'm leaving untouched.  The ID's with 0 posts can be reviewed at any time.  However, please note that if you ban them I won't notice, because my procedure is to skip to the next available banned ID when I'm working on my daily assignment.

My recommendation is that if you do decide to ban an ID that is in the processed group, just go ahead and assign the next Test ID in sequence.

My procedure includes looking to see the next available Test ID, so I'll see it.

Also .... thanks for adding so many substantial posts to the new Tesla maintenance topic.

Your examples tended to be on the dramatic side ... I'm hoping more typical service experiences will be included in the posts to the new topic.

After all, I'm sure that there are images of wrecks of piston powered vehicles that could be posted to a topic about maintenance of piston engines.

I'm not sure how helpful those would be.

(th)

#493 2020-12-11 18:56:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

I only found one topic that talks to internal combustion engines in the forum so far.
Combustion engines ... - ... on Titan and Mars by karov

The batteries of lithium are quite dangerous as the flames indicate and are very hard to put out....

I agree as I have had a few engines throw the pitons through the blocks... and in the good old days we would go to a junk yard to pull an engine and just replace it as they were cheap to get but those days are long gone with how the yards are operated these days.

I will convert those id's instead of banning them to the next vacant numbers that are down stream from where you are.

#494 2020-12-11 20:46:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery project ...

Thanks for your reply and decision to simply convert ID's I skip over to the Test format as you see fit.

That frees me up not to worry about accounts that are not already banned.

That reminds me of a joke that I only vaguely recall, about someone given a task of separating potatoes into large and small categories. After many hours only a few potatoes were sorted.  The explanation was that the "decisions are killing me".

Yay!  Fortunately, you have provided a rich vein of banned ID's!

Edit#1: Found it!

https://www.laughsend.com/jokes/sorting_potatoes.php

Farmer Peters hired a man to sort his potato crop. He told the man to make three piles: one for the small potatoes, one for the medium-size ones, and one for the large ones.

After several hours, the man told Farmer Peters he was quitting his job. He seemed flustered, his brow was beaded with perspiration, and his shirt was also wet.

"Is the work too hard for you?" Peters asked.

"No," he answered, "but all the decisions are killing me."

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-11 20:50:27)

#495 2020-12-12 12:23:19

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... this ID might be worth a ping ...aedan.acheson - Essentials

The email matches the ID and the IP is from Colorado, which matches the Time Zone.

Edit#1: On second thought, the ID was not used for a year.  I'll save the email address in the Admin line and re-use it as TestID00614

Edit#2: 595-616 are ready for unbanning.

I got a chuckle out of a couple of the marketing ID's.  There were no contributors in this batch, but one appears to be in tomorrow's batch.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-12 12:35:08)

#496 2020-12-12 18:06:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

OK for the work of unbanning.
Edit unbanning complete

Today while it was not so cold I took time on another subaru engine that I got from the mechanic before he scrapped it for metal tonnage 2 months ago. It was stored in my other 2001 escape which has frame issues for why its not useable.

I did finally get to remove the heads to see what the overheating issue was. He had said it was over heating after he had done the gaskets so he simply had gotten another engine and just replaced that vehicles engine as the cheap way out of it costing them more as well as for his time to be reduced by not doing it again.

The gaskets on the drivers side was an original flat metal design generation 1 while the passenger had the 3 ply new subaru gasket which is the 3rd generation design for them.
It was the drivers side gasket that had failed on that engine as the cylinders still had water in them..

So when I get the funds a set of the new subaru 3 ply gaskets are going to be bought for the cars original engine which had the generation 2 composite gaskets that had failed.

#497 2020-12-12 18:45:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re 496

Thanks for taking care of today's batch of ID's!

Thanks too, for the update on your investigation of the failure of the scrapped engine.  It sounds as though you and the mechanic are close to comparable skill level!  It will be interesting to hear your report when you are ready to install/have installed the new 3 ply gaskets!

(th)

#498 2020-12-13 08:21:56

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID's Review ...

Item: affottabeli - Essentials This ID has IP of Belgium and email of California

Edit #1: Member with posts from 2002-2006

Aetius - Essentials
User activity
Last post: 2006-06-12 21:41:40
Posts: 173 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions

First post: Re: Martian Politics and Economy » Hey, hey, hey, wait up - Mars is not a country

Item: aeytovareschSmato - Essentials This ID is banned but it has a post about video games. New ID is Test00618
The post about video games is still there after ID name change.

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-13 08:49:17)

#499 2020-12-13 10:15:49

SpaceNut
Administrator

To keep a post of some value I have been doing a copy of the quote function and posting it into the report function before removing the post that way its saved. Indicating post being saved and user being removed.

I see that the post was made within a real topic in Educational Outreach » An Educational Video Game

Will take care of the single post by user and save remaining posts for others to see in report log as well.

Unban of ids complete and user count reset on 618 as well.

#500 2020-12-13 11:05:52

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID's review .... thanks for taking a look at 618

Progress on today's batch was interrupted by Sunday morning news programs on Earth!

Here is another member from 2003 ...

aftercolumbia - Essentials
User activity
Last post: 2008-02-10 22:28:53
Posts: 13 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions

The first post was about the Orbiter software simulation:
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 287#p21287

The last post in 2008 was about a Venus flyby:
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 67#p105267

Edit#1: ID's 617-638 are ready for unbanning (some are already taken care of)

For tomorrow's batch, please look at Agamaloreevent - Essentials .... The IP is from Moscow.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-13 11:58:29)

Board footer