New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2020-05-01 13:50:16

RobertDyck
Website

2020 Mars Society Convention

I don't see a post about this, so I will. It's May 1st, the announcement was made April 6. I'm a little late, but better late than never.

The Mars Society Convention will be held virtually. Coronavirus. This means many of us who haven't been able to attend, will this time. October 15-18.

A few key features from the announcement:

• final face-off of the Mars City State Design Contest

• discussion of SpaceX plans

• keynote address and entertainment during the Saturday evening banquet – which will be held virtually, so the menu is unlimited! (their joke)

• presentations about 2019-20 crew simulations at the Mars Desert Research Station (MDRS) in southern Utah and planning for the next crew mission to the Flashline Mars Arctic Research Station (FMARS) in northern Canada.

Session tracks will be held. Abstracts for presentation or panels can be submitted; deadline July 31. (Call for Papers)

Also note: registration for the virtual convetion is free. FREE

Announcement:
https://www.marssociety.org/news/2020/0 … onvention/

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2020-mars- … 2005870304

#2 2020-05-01 21:48:07

tahanson43206

Re: 2020 Mars Society Convention

For RobertDyck re #1

Thank you for the new topic, and for news of the unusual nature of this event!

My recollection (from viewing a few of your 5000+ posts) is that you have given at least one paper at at least one Mars Society Convention.

It's a lot of work to prepare to give a paper for any gathering, and I would imagine the Mars Society is as tough a venue as any.

Could the forum help you think about a possible presentation, and perhaps even contribute in some way?

(th)

#3 2020-05-02 08:59:43

RobertDyck
Website

I did ask SpaceNut to restore my original discussion thread on Saint Johns, Newfoundland. It has details of the history. I would like to present that history as an analogy to Mars settlement. And Mars Government: you could call it Corporate Government, but it's really libertarian. And updating Mars Direct. And my alternate Mars mission plan. And my idea for a Lunar mission. So that's 5 presentations. Wanted to do them for a long time, just couldn't afford to go.

Yes, I presented my alternate Mars mission in 2002. Presented aluminum smelting in 2004. Did a few in 2005.

#4 2020-05-02 10:57:13

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #3

Thank you for confirming my impression, and adding details!

You've given several (I'll call them lectures) on Saint Johns, probably due to the (apparent) ephemeral nature of the forum.  They are consistent in substance, but vary in length and might even vary a bit in details as you recall them.

I'd like to try to enlist your support of the forum-as-an-archive idea.  Each author can provide a way for future members and long time ones, to find or to find again posts (and series of posts) that are worth re-reading.

I've browsed the archive over the past year or so, often thanks to SpaceNut restoring a topic to visibility, but also as a result of the random selection of a topic by a robot spam program.  My impression is that the overall quality of effort made by contributors has been pretty good.  This is a forum that is free and open to the public, so it is understandable that there are a few clinkers.

The bottom line of ** this ** post is that forum contributors can help to make content recoverable, by investing just a little bit of thought into creating tags for posts that contain content that is worth someone's time.

Edit#1: In today's world of Zoom and Skype and Twitch, it is possible for you (if you so choose) to practice your presentation with an audience of friends from this forum.  In comparing Zoom and Twitch, I can see that both offer the option for a presenter to take ownership of the primary screen, for slides or even videos, and then to pass control back to the host.

I've not used Skype for several years, but assume it has developed along those lines as well.

You can even record an entire session and submit ** that ** to the Mars Society, if you want to, and if they would prefer that. 

A benefit to the conference organizer is they would have all their presentations lined up and approved ahead of time, and the Q&A sessions would be open to whoever is signed in for that purpose.  The entire collection of pre-recorded presentations and Q&A's would be packaged for YouTube and thus for as many folks as want to see the material as there may be over time.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-05-02 14:07:35)

#5 2020-10-14 12:27:18

RobertDyck
Website

Convention starts tomorrow morning. Dr Zubrin will give opening talk @ 9:00am Pacific Time (11:00am Central, noon Eastern). Dr Chris McKay will give his first talk @ 9:30am Pacific (10:30 Mountain time, 11:30 Central, 12:30 Eastern).

#6 2020-10-14 17:30:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

How time flies since its been 5 months since its first mention.

So were there other announcements or messages to get the public involved during this time period?

Will need to explore tomorrow at work to see if there is any webcasts or online summaries of the papers that have been submitted.

#7 2020-10-15 09:03:35

tahanson43206

It is an hour until the start of the Online Convention, and I finally got around to registering ...

Thanks for your order!#1490707125
YOU'RE GOING TO
2020 Mars Society International Teleconvention
ORGANIZER MESSAGE
Thank you for registering for the 2020 Mars Society Virtual Convention.
Our convention application is now ready to login.

The Convention application is the main way that attendees can view and participate in the conference and works on any computer or mobile device.

Please follow these instructions on how to login to the application and to get your attendee profile ready for the event. Please access this guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M5E … TSzzjkyKc/

Remember: use the code "risingtogether" when asked.

We have also prepared a short video you can watch to get an overview of the convention app and how to login. You can access it on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/Gu4TillaZl4

Need Help?

If you have any problems logging in, you can email webmaster@marssociety.org or you can find us in the #helpdesk channel on the Mars Society's Slack chat rooms. You can join the Slack chat rooms using this link: http://bit.ly/MarsSocietySlack

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at the Convention!

The Mars Society Staff

More
1 TICKET SENT TO
<snip>

DATE
Thu, Oct 15, 2020 9:00 AM - Sun, Oct 18, 2020 12:00 PM PDT

After connecting to the conference, here is what the top line looks like:

event logo
2020 Mars Society Virtual Convention (23rd Annual International Convention)

October 15 - 18, 2020

The list of attendees is shown on the right ... if the figure of more than 4000 is right, it will take a search fo find anyone specific.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-10-15 09:17:39)

#8 2020-10-15 10:24:02

tahanson43206

Yay! Space Elevator from Phobos .... Dr. Zubrin at about 20 minutes into session!

(th)

#9 2020-10-15 14:06:33

tahanson43206

The slide captured below is from the talk by Anna Yusapova, about Russian studies of crew interactions in simulated space flight.

PBDLFLQ.png

The Large Ship topic here in the NewMars forum is contemplating trips of longer duration than were tested by the Russians.

However, there is a dramatic difference that might lead to a different result ... the number of people contemplated in the Large Ship topic (1,060) is so much greater than the numbers tested by the Russians, that the changes observed might be less concerning.

(th)

#10 2020-10-16 17:06:53

tahanson43206

The presentation by Elon Musk is available on YouTube...

Elon spoke for 45 minutes, and then Dr. Zubrin took questions until the top of the hour

Search for YouTube Mars Society 2020 and look for the Elon Musk recording.

The recording itself has 14 minutes of fill before the event starts.

This is the URL I see in the playback: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opnk-cPOM50

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-10-16 17:26:48)

#11 2020-10-18 17:38:20

tahanson43206

The Mars 2020 Convention recordings will be available to the general public soon, if they are not already.

James Burk ran a very impressive operation!   

In the presentation by Elon Musk, which both Void and Louis have noted, Mr. Musk was asked where he thought a landing might be scheduled. His response included: "close to ice", "solar power" and "low elevation to assist with landing".

In another part of the presentation, Mr. Musk was asked about the people who would populate a 1,000,000 person city on Mars.

His answer cited Set Theory (at an elementary level of course).  His "Venn diagram" (created with words) includes the set of people who are interested in settling on Mars, and the set of people who can afford to travel to Mars themselves, or who can afford to pay for someone to make the trip.  Mr. Musk said that the result set would comprise the intersection of those with the "Will" and those with the "Way".

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-10-18 17:38:59)

#12 2020-10-18 21:06:23

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

In order to populate Mars with a million people, we're going to need ships vastly larger in size than Starship.  In order to transport all the cargo required to establish human civilization on another planet, we're going to need vessels more akin to ocean-going container ships than rockets.  SpaceX's Starship Super Heavy is properly sized to deliver about 500 passengers to orbit for transfer to a real ship, rather than the upper stage of a rocket, but that's about it.  Nothing as small as Starship is going to transport a million people and all the cargo required to sustain life, tens of millions of miles from Earth, in any reasonable timeframe.  Significantly more efficient means of space launch for cargo, along with significantly more efficient in-space propulsion, will have to be developed in order for his vision to materialize within a human lifetime.

#13 2020-10-19 07:25:48

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re #12

Your post appears to be in support of RobertDyck's vision for passenger transport.

There is no practical limit that I can see for the size of vessels that would carry cargo to Mars.

This topic is set up to discuss the 2020 Mars Society Convention, which is now history.  It would take anyone the amount of time consumed by the actual presentations over three Earth days to "attend" the YouTube recordings.

If anyone in this forum has attended the convention live (as I did on Day 1) or via the recordings, this topic is a good place to comment upon specific speaker presentations or specific topics discussed.

(th)

#14 2020-10-20 13:18:36

tahanson43206

This message arrived in today's email ...

The Mars Society <info@marssociety.org>

Tue, Oct 20 at 12:12 PM

MARS SOCIETY ANNOUNCEMENT
View this email in your browser

Record-Setting Interest in 2020 Virtual Mars Society Convention

The Mars Society, the world’s largest space advocacy group dedicated to the human exploration and settlement of the Red Planet, concluded its 23rd Annual International Mars Society Convention on Sunday, setting a new event record with over 10,000 registered attendees for the online forum, which ran from October 15-18.

The organization’s first virtual conference, held due to COVID-19, created a large public surge of interest among Mars and space advocates around the world, as leading members of the space community participated in plenary talks and panel discussions during the global event.

Some of the highlights included talks by:

NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine
SpaceX CEO & Founder Elon Musk
Former NASA Astronaut Dr. John Grunsfeld
NASA Perseverance Lead Science Engineer Dr. Sarah Milkovich
Virgin Galactic Chief Space Officer George Whitesides
NASA Astrobiologist Dr. Chris McKay
NASA Horizons Principal Investigator Dr. Alan Stern
SpaceFund Founding Partner Rick Tumlinson

In total, 150 speakers joined the Mars Society convention in educating the international public about current and future exploration plans for the Red Planet and other important space-related programs and initiatives.

Worldwide viewership of the Mars Society convention was well over 100,000 people, being watched primarily on the organization’s YouTube and Facebook pages. The YouTube channel had 75,000 views during the event, breaking the previous record by ten-fold.

Other viewing options for the forum included a live stream carried by CNET, as well as several other Internet web sites and YouTube pages that cover SpaceX and aerospace industry news. Our Zoom audience was also very large compared to in-person events, with most of our track talks having at least three times the number of people who would typically attend these events in-house at the convention.

The Mars Society, led by its president, Dr. Robert Zubrin, extends its appreciation to all of the speakers who participated in the four-day conference and provided timely and important updates about the progress made in exploring Mars, as well as the intended next steps in moving towards a human mission to the Red Planet.

Many thanks also go out to Mars Society management and its dedicated volunteers, all of whom were actively involved in organizing and managing the international convention, which, as they can attest to, is a months-long process to ensure a professional and high-quality global event. In particular, James Burk, the organization’s IT Director, and his tech staff should receive a special round of applause for coordinating a near-flawless virtual experience.

Lastly, the Mars Society is nothing without the support and involvement of its members and friends around the world. The massive turnout for this year’s virtual convention, much more than originally expected, will help boost the organization’s efforts to promote a humans-to-Mars agenda in the U.S. and other space-faring nations. If you are interested in extending financial support to the Mars Society and its vital mission, please visit our web site.

Thank you all and on to Mars!

Staff & Volunteers / 2020 Convention
Facebook
The Mars Society
11111 West 8th Avenue, unit A
Lakewood, CO 80215 U.S.A.
www.marssociety.org
https://www.facebook.com/TheMarsSociety
@TheMarsSociety

Copyright (c) 2020 The Mars Society
All rights reserved.

why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Mars Society, Inc. · 11111 W 8th Ave, Suite A · Lakewood, CO 80215 · USA

The four days of online sessions are recorded.  I'm not sure how many are available, but a number definitely are.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-10-20 13:21:29)

#15 2020-10-20 20:35:48

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

If we build an electromagnetic launch system to eliminate rocket boosters, commit to on-orbit fabrication and assembly (the way the ISS, largest man-made object in space, was constructed), and refrain from attempting reentries or aerobraking maneuvers to save a little propellant, then I would tend to agree that there's no practical limit to the size and weight of the ships that can be constructed.  That also means the ships can be extraordinarily durable, much like ocean-going vessels.  Major cities here on Earth were not built with a handful of 100t cargo containers arriving every 26 months.  A railway or shipping lane delivers thousands of tons of cargo at a time.  The 40t semi trucks are "last mile" transports used in instances where rail or shipping are not possible or impractically expensive.  Similarly, a Starship is a "last mile" transport, not a container ship.  If we can deliver 5 to 10 container ship loads every 2 years, then we can build a city of a million people within a human lifetime.

If RobertDyck's design is viable, meaning not subject to periodically flipping end-over-end due to imbalanced gyroscopic forces, then let's run with that.  If it does have that not-so-trivial design problem, then I think the counter-rotating habitation rings is a better design.  I really don't care what design is used, so long as it works.  I threw out an idea that could feasibly work using existing or near-term technology and then let other people with more time and interest work out the details.  What he proposed was pretty much the same idea that I had in mind, apart from using counter-rotation to help balance the considerable gyroscopic forces involved.  He seemed a bit bent out of shape at my admonition that life aboard a ship floating around in an immediately lethal environment won't be a giant frat party, so I quit posting in that topic.

#16 2020-10-21 06:41:04

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re #15

Thanks for your summary of the situation for the 1,000,000 person Mars deployment. 

Thanks for reminding RobertDyck that his design (the panhead transitioned to Circle Y) is not yet proven practical.

My derivation of your counter-rotating design is the Big Wheel, which is waiting for further work.

I've decided to take a leap of faith that RobertDyck has what it takes to grow into a ** real ** spaceship designer, and I'm willing to make significant investments of time in an effort to support his efforts.  There are very few people on Earth who are interested in designing a passenger transport for the Earth-Mars circuit, let alone qualified for something so ambitious.  My assessment of RobertDyck, after reading a decent number of his 6,000+ posts, favors the view that he is capable of growing in the areas of performance that are required. 

I'd like to invite ** you ** to take on the design challenge of expanding the ideas you've outlined in the first paragraph of #15.  The electromagnetic launcher technology appears (as I interpret the situation) to be feasible, and there are several military developments under way and in practice that (presumably) could be extended to the civilian market, so I am guardedly optimistic that the technical problems of launching from Earth can be overcome.

The development of a ** very ** large container ship for the Earth-Mars circuit is what I am hoping you will find of interest, and worth some of your time and creative abilities.  My suggestion for a starting point is to see if it might be possible to persuade the nuclear weapons holding nations on Earth to collaborate in building a nuclear fission booster platform of sufficient capability to accelerate a ** very ** large container ship from LEO and to decelerate to match orbit with Phobos for unloading.

Fusion may well come along, but since it is still a pipe dream, fission seems worth pursuing.  After all ... the pusher plate concept has been around for many decades. 

There are technical details to be worked out, and there are social interactions needed.

The social interactions are far more challenging than the technical ones.

However, the benefits of an initiative along these lines are significant.  The more high quality fissionable material that can be diverted from weapons to propulsion of useful space vehicles, the better.  The major players are the United States and Russia, but the other nuclear states need to participate in proportion to the size of their stock piles.

The Mars Society is ** exactly ** the sort of neutral entity that I would expect to see taking the lead along these lines.

Edit#1: This update is to offer a target mass for the Mars-Earth circuit ...

Modern cargo ships are much bigger. They now have an “average” deadweight ton of 100,000 tons. There are still “smaller” container ships that weigh about 50,000 tons. However, there are also bigger cargo ships that weigh over 200,000 tons.
How Much Does a Cargo Ship Weigh? | Boating Geeks
boatinggeeks.com/how-much-does-a-cargo-ship-weigh/

It would be interesting to see propulsion requirements for a vessel massing 100,000 tons.   This vessel would be large enough to support a RobertDyck habitat just for the crew.  And the crew could be (relatively) small. 

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-10-21 11:33:18)

#17 2020-10-21 06:52:18

tahanson43206

This topic was set up to focus on the 2020 Mars Society Convention.

It is my impression that no one from this forum other than me has taken an interest in the Convention, other than in the interview with Elon Musk, which was just a tiny part of the over all achievement in putting on a virtual event with dozens of speakers and thousands of registrants.

I thought that James Burk (Mars Society IT director) did a masterful job of running that four day event.  The backup plans he put into place worked to perfection. When the fancy new primary stream provider failed, the YouTube backup worked perfectly.

The sound quality was excellent, with the minor exception of the Russian speaker the first day, when the audio level was low.  The video quality and coordination of flows of streaming was very well done. 

A way the convention could be addressed by this forum is by considering each presentation over the period of 24 (Earth) hours.   

Each session was 30 minutes long, so it should be possible to view one session each 24 hour (Earth) day.

In total, 150 speakers joined the Mars Society convention in educating the international public about current and future exploration plans for the Red Planet and other important space-related programs and initiatives.

Worldwide viewership of the Mars Society convention was well over 100,000 people, being watched primarily on the organization’s YouTube and Facebook pages. The YouTube channel had 75,000 views during the event, breaking the previous record by ten-fold. All of the talks will be posted on the YouTube page in the coming days and weeks for viewing.

Other viewing options for the forum included a live stream carried by CNET, as well as several other Internet web sites and YouTube pages that cover SpaceX and aerospace industry news. Our Zoom audience was also very large compared to in-person events, with most of our track talks having at least three times the number of people who would typically attend these events in-house at the convention.

The Mars Society, led by its president, Dr. Robert Zubrin, extends its appreciation to all of the speakers who participated in the four-day conference and provided timely and important updates about the progress made in exploring Mars, as well as the intended next steps in moving towards a human mission to the Red Planet.

Many thanks also go out to Mars Society management and its dedicated volunteers, all of whom were actively involved in organizing and managing the international convention, which, as they can attest to, is a months-long process to ensure a professional and high-quality global event. In particular, James Burk, the organization’s IT Director, and his tech staff should receive a special round of applause for coordinating a near-flawless virtual experience.

(th)

#18 2020-10-22 06:57:48

tahanson43206

This post is a reference for what I hope will be an extended review and discussion of the Mars 2020 Convention.

The event took place over four days, with an estimated 150 speakers ... A review in the NewMars forum can take as long as needed, but I would expect the pace would be no faster than one session per day, and it might turn out that a slower pace would work best.

As of this writing, I am unsure of what video is available, so checking on video availability will be an ongoing activity.

Here is a transcript of the planned schedule, adapted from the pdf which is available for anyone to download ...

https://www.marssociety.org/wp-content/ … hedule.pdf

SearchTerm:Schedule Mars 2020 Convention
SearchTerm:Mars2020 Convention Schedule

2020 Mars Society Convention Schedule (as planned ... actual events may differ)
10/16/2020 1
Thursday October 15th
All Times PDT Morning Plenaries

9:00 AM Dr. Robert Zubrin, President, The Mars Society
9:30 AM Dr. Chris McKay, NASA Ames, Prerequisites to Human Activity on Mars
10:00 AM Dr. Carol Stoker, NASA Ames, Potential Habitats for Life on Mars
10:30 AM Dr. Michael Hecht, PI, MOXIE, Mars Perseverance
11:00 AM Dr. Abigail Fraeman, Deputy Project Scientist, Mars Curiosity
11:30 AM Dr. Mark Panning, Project Scientist & Co-Investigator, Mars InSight
12:00 PM Dr. Adrian Brown: Mars 2020 and Mars Sample Return
12:30 PM Dr. Anna Yusupova, IBMP Russia: confinement experiments

Afternoon Sessions
Tech A Tech B Settlement A Medical

1:00 PM
TA-1 Romanko et a:l
Oasis Mars Project
TB-1 Gilbert: Nuclear Fuel
Cycle for Mars
SA-1 Bhuiyan: Mars City
Design for 1,000,000
M-1 Kir: Medicine on
Mars after 2050

1:30 PM
TA-2 Lee Roberts:
Underwater Mars
Habitats
TB-2 Nikitaev: Seeding
H2 in NTP Engines
SA-2 HaeupliMeusburger: Mars
Science City
M-2 Gardiner: Towards
Healthy Living on Mars in
a Time of CV19 on Earth

2:00 PM
TB-3 Tan, Rezende et al
Operations of a Power
Station on Mars
SA-3 Jus Ad Astra:
Human Rights as a
foundation for a Mars Bill
of rights
M-3 Jobin: Martian
Mental Health

2:30 PM
TA-4 Pelc, Suscicka et al;
Evolution of a Mars
Colony
TB-4 Kumar, Sharma et
al: Power Generation for
Mars using CO2
SA-4 Mayes: Utopian
Colonies on Mars
M-4 Lordos: Large Scale
Space Settlements: A
New Frontier for Space
Psychology

3:00 PM
TA-5 Lebedev:
Alternatives to drilling
using war technology
TB-5 Kumar, Adlakha et
al: Next Gen power for
Martian life
SA-5 Calanchi: A cultural
and ecological approach
to Mars Colonization
M-5 Kommareddy and
Rezende: Bone Density
Stabilizer for Long Term
Space Travel

3:30 PM
TA-6 Tompkins:
GrowMars Expanding
Loop Process
TB-6 Cooper: 2032 the
first humans on Mars
SA-6 Gaviraghi et al: The
Martian Urban Cell as the
unit for Martian
settlements
M-6 Wong, Wu, McEwan:
Non-invasive biomonitor
for human spaceflight

4:00 PM
TA-7 Rezende, Souza et
al: Deploying Greenhouse
facilities
TB-7 Saranya: Sanitation
in a Mars Habitat
SA-7 Nebergall: Solar
System Mini-Settlements
in 2060
M-7 Radstake et al: In
vitro models to unravel
interplay of spaceflight
stressors

4:30 PM
TA-8 Kacha, Sia:
deployable Martian
Habitat
TB-8 Isenberg:
Areomorphology by
Plasma Processes?
SA-8 Tellez et al: The
preservation and
coexistence of human
colonies on Mars
M-8 Pelc et al: Hospital
on the moon

Break / Dinner Hour (5pm - 6pm)
Thursday Evening Programs

6:00 PM Dr. Vandi Verma, Rover Driver - Mars Perseverance, Curiosity, Spirit, Opportunity
6:30 PM Dr. Farah Alibay, Systems Engineer, Mars InSight - Engineering Perseverance
7:00 PM Reid Stowe: Mars Ocean Analogs: Learning How to explore Mars at Sea
7:30 PM Mars Desert Research Station Panel - Dr. Shannon Rupert & crewmembers
8:00 PM
8:30 PM Dr. John Grunsfeld, Astronauts Can Do Great Science
9:00 PM University Rover Challenge Panel - Kevin Sloan
9:30 PM
10:00 PM Mars University Panel - Kolemann Lutz2020 Mars Society Convention Schedule
10/16/2020 2

Friday October 16th

9:00 AM Dr. S. Pete Worden, Breakthrough Initiatives
9:30 AM Nick Booth & Elizabeth Howell, Co-Authors, Book: "The Search for Life on Mars" (2020)
10:00 AM Michael Griffin, Former Administrator, NASA
10:30 AM Dean Cheng, The Heritage Foundation, China in space
11:00 AM Dr. Nathaniel Putzig, Exploring Mars with Ground-Penetrating Radar
11:30 AM Dr. David Poston, Space Nuclear Power
12:00 PM Rick Tumlinson, The Spaceflight Revolution
12:30 PM Kelvin Manning, Associate Director, Kennedy Space Center

Afternoon Sessions
Tech C Tech D Settlement B Outreach & Education

TC-1 Zlindra et al: UBC
Mars Colony
TD-1 Matkowski:
Simulation of Evacuation
in Martian Conditions
SB-1 Sobocinski: Pawns
on Mars
O-1 Melton: Spread the
Word

TC-2 Smith: SPORE:
Resource Extraction and
habitable space creation
TD-2 Chase:
Psychological and
Physiological
implications of Settling
Mars
SB-2 Nebergall:
Paraterraforming Hebes
Chasma
O-2 Charrek: The Mars
Society Education and
Outreach Team Focus

TC-3 Pazar: Resource
Utilization on Mars
TD-3 Doug Shull: Lunar
lava Tubes Show the Way
to Mars
SB-3 Gaviraghi: Mars
Terraforming
O-3 Burk and Crossman:
Marspedia.org - 2020
Progress Report &
Tutorial Demo

TC-4 Cadet et al: Mars, a
buildable planet
TD-4 Green: Robotic
Testing for Space Suit
Joints
SB-4 Shankar et al:
Launch Center on Mars O-4

3:00 PM Elon Musk - Founder & CEO, SpaceX
TC-5 Singh: A critical
review on the Martian
habitat
TD-5 Lofqvist: Intelligent
Swarms on Mars
SB-5 Pelc, Popiel et al: A
State on Mars
O-5 Hovee: Mars Society
Chapters update

TC-6 TD-6 Gurrea: Mars Direct
v3
SB-6 Susciicka, Torchala
et al: Evaluation of Mars
Colonization
opportunities
O-6

5:00 PM
TC-7 Prasad:
Development of Mars
launch facility Using CO2
TD-7 Purewal et al:
Engineering on Mars
SB-7 Soni, Trabelsi et al:
Postcards from Mars
O-7 Nan Li: Why Public
Education of Mars
Exploration?

5:30 PM
TC-8 Rezende, Shankar et
al: Operation of the main
station on Mars
SB-8 Bruce Mackenzie:
Mars Settlement Study
Group
O-8 Secosky: How to
explore Mars without
leaving your chair

6:00 PM Geoff Landis, Memories of MIP
6:30 PM Taber MacCallum - Space Perspective
7:00 PM Dr. Peter Diamandis, X Prize Foundation & Singularity University
7:30 PM Search for Life on Mars Panel - McKay, Stoker, Abramovich, Willett
8:30 PM Mongolian Aerospace Research and Science Association
9:00 PM New Space Centers Panel: Aliya Grigg, Jarek Mika, Łukasz Wilczyński, Krzysztof Kacaliński
9:30 PM
10:00 PM2020 Mars Society Convention Schedule

10/16/2020 3
Saturday October 17th

9:00 AM Barbara Belvisi, Founder & CEO, Interstellar Lab
9:30 AM Sarah Baatout, How to Protect Astronauts from Radiation
10:00 AM Jim Bridenstine, NASA Administrator
10:30 AM Loretta Hidalgo Whitesides, Founder, Yuri's Night
11:00 AM George Whitesides, Virgin Galactic
11:30 AM Angela Cui and China Panel
12:00 PM

Afternoon Sessions
Tech E Analog Bases Political Mars City State Contest

TE-1 Divay et al:
Challenges of Food
production on Mars
AB-1 P-1 Bellant: A Prize Fund
to Get Humanity to Mars?
Team 1
The Sustainable Offworld
Network (SONet)

TE-2 Tellez and unger:
BioColchon Space
Garden
AB-2 Marsh et al:
Multinational Design of
Mars Missions
P-2 Heisler: The Space
Force & the Human
exploration and
settlement of Mars
Team 2
NAVARRO Remy

TE-3 Toro et al:
Aquaponics for food
production on Mars
AB-3 Tymoszuk et al:
Designing a rover for an
analog mars mission
P-3 Harman: Liberty in
Space: The Artemis
Accords and the Rule of
Law
Team 3
Southern Cross
Innovations

TE-4 Rodriguez at al:
Mead, as a drink for
colonies on Mars
AB-4 Staats et al: High
Fidelity Mars habitat
simulation
P-4 Gilley: The Artemis
Accords; Impacts on
Martian Constitutions
Team 4
Space Generation
Advisory Council

3:00 PM
TE-5 Colorado et al:
Bakery for Mars colonies
based on microalgae
AB-5 Rezende et al:
Space analog virtual
training
P-5 Kulu: Factories in
Space
Team 5
Korolev Crater SAR

TE-6 You and Zottola:
Reducing Percholates in
Martian Soil
AB-6 Romero et al:
Construction of namoga
research station in the
Nambia desert
P-6 Hague: a metric of
solar system
development
Team 6
Dr Muhammad Akbar
Hussain

TE-7 Nadeem et al:
Proliferation and Survival
Analysis of Rhizosphere
Soil Bacteria in Mars Soil
AB-7 Romero et al:
African participation in
solar system exploration
P-7 Chairetis: All space to
all
Team 7
Paul Meillon

TE-8 Gardiner and
Isenberg: Comets at
Mars
AB-8 Secosky:
Marspedia's Mars Atlas:
Your gateway to Mars
P-8 Lebedev: Space
coilgun: A highway to
Mars
Team 8
Phlegra Prime

5:00 PM
Break / Dinner Hour (5pm - 6pm)
Team 9
Tharsians@USCViterbi
5:30 PM
Team 10
Nexus Aurora
6:00 PM Virtual Banquet
6:30 PM Oscar Castellino .- We're halfway to Mars and other music
7:00 PM Carter Emmart - Mars Multimedia
7:30 PM Dr. Alan Stern - New Horizons: The Farthest Exploration of Worlds

8:30 PM Dr. Robert Zubrin - Awards and Remarks
9:00 PM2020 Mars Society Convention Schedule
10/16/2020 4

Sunday October 18th

9:00 AM Dr. Sarah Milkovich, Lead Science Systems Engineer, Mars Perseverance
9:30 AM Dr. R. Aileen Yingst, Mars Exploration Program Analysis Group & Planetary Science Institute
10:00 AM J. Bob Balaram, Chief Engineer, Ingenuity (Mars copter), NASA
10:30 AM Anastasiya Stepanova, Dry immersion experiment
11:00 AM Yonatan Winetraub, Co-Founder, Space-IL
11:30 AM Mars Society South Asia / Indian Rover Challenge
12:00 PM Dr. Robert Zubrin, Closing Remarks
End of Convention

#19 2020-10-22 07:02:24

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... do you want to help with this initiative?

You could start things off by finding a video of the start of the convention, with Dr. Zubrin at 9 AM PDT

If we follow the plan I've laid out, the review will take a minimum of 150 days.  Can you picture yourself watching 30 minutes of video per day, in addition to everything else you have going on?  Not everyone has available time to budget like that.

We may need to space things out to every two days at the outset.

Do you have a recommendation?

(th)

#20 2020-10-22 07:37:39

RobertDyck
Website

Here are all the day 1 morning plenaries
https://youtu.be/dkblw_LobZo

Day 1 evening plenaries
https://youtu.be/2nk6-THc5JI

Last edited by RobertDyck (2020-10-22 07:39:57)

#21 2020-10-22 08:41:11

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #20

Thank you for providing the videos for Day 1 ....

SearchTerm:Day1 videos of Mars 2020 Convention
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 15#p173315

For SpaceNut ... would you be interested in providing the pacing for this activity?

I'd like to suggest one session per discussion, with allowance for folks who post about sessions they are interested in.

It would be kind of like the process of moving the chains in an American football game.  Activity could (and most likely will) be spontaneous and distracting, but the chains would move slowly and steadily up the field.

(th)

#22 2020-10-22 14:07:33

jburk
Executive Director
Website

I am editing videos nonstop and posting to Youtube.  The goal is to have everything online within 2 weeks.  Farah Alibay is rendering now...

This is the official playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … z9NgdtxDAF

James L. Burk
Executive Director, The Mars Society
jburk@marssociety.org
+1 (206) 601-7143

#23 2020-10-22 14:19:34

tahanson43206

For jburk re #22

Thank you for the link to the official playlist!  And thank you for all the work and your helpers put into this conference!

If SpaceNut likes the idea of creating a series of focus opportunities here in the NewMars forum, potentially the activity might be of interest to a wider audience.  The pace of movement through the collection should be slow enough so that each viewer/member has an opportunity to comment, but not so slow that we don't finish before the next convention.

SearchTerm:Playlist for Mars 2020 Virtual Convention

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 24#p173324

Given a round number of 150 speakers, then a pace of one video every two (Earth) days might be a good compromise.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-10-22 14:21:40)

#24 2020-10-23 08:58:48

tahanson43206

The official playlist from Mars 2020 Conference is coming out as James Burk and staff have time to process the videos.  The videos are NOT in the order of their original presentation, so it would seem most feasible for a speaker-by-speaker review to be carried out in the order of the official playlist.

This concept will work if someone agrees to become the anchor attendee.  There is no point in attempting a review of all 150 speakers if no one is interested in the challenge of actually spending (about) an hour every two days to "attend" the conference speaker by speaker.

Is there someone who would be interested in serving as the Anchor for this initiative?

The responsibility involved is to watch the video, and then enter a short post into the forum with a comment.

Hopefully this post will encourage others to watch the video and make their own comments.

Inevitably there will be comments by those who do not watch the video, but instead choose to comment upon the comments of others.

(th)

#25 2020-10-23 21:04:33

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #24

It is possible no one who is currently an active member of the NewMars forum has the time or energy to commit to the proposed review of 150 video's from the Mars 2020 Convention over 300 days.

That is a big ask.

However, there ** is ** an option, if James Burk and the Convention Committee of the Mars Society are interested.

An email could be sent to all 5,000-6,000 registrants of the Convention, inviting them to stop by this forum to participate in the review of the sessions.

The participants don't need to register as members of this forum unless they want to leave comments.

I notice that the video display appears to offer a way for folks to leave comments, but I'd have to go back to verify that.  I might be remembering something on YouTube, where comments can be entered.

Edit #1: There is a possibility of adding a bit of zing to the offering .... potentially the original speakers might be willing to take a question or two from forum members during the process.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-10-23 21:06:39)

Board footer