New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#1 2020-05-01 13:50:16

RobertDyck
Website

2020 Mars Society Convention

I don't see a post about this, so I will. It's May 1st, the announcement was made April 6. I'm a little late, but better late than never.

The Mars Society Convention will be held virtually. Coronavirus. This means many of us who haven't been able to attend, will this time. October 15-18.

A few key features from the announcement:

• final face-off of the Mars City State Design Contest

• discussion of SpaceX plans

• keynote address and entertainment during the Saturday evening banquet – which will be held virtually, so the menu is unlimited! (their joke)

• presentations about 2019-20 crew simulations at the Mars Desert Research Station (MDRS) in southern Utah and planning for the next crew mission to the Flashline Mars Arctic Research Station (FMARS) in northern Canada.

Session tracks will be held. Abstracts for presentation or panels can be submitted; deadline July 31. (Call for Papers)

Also note: registration for the virtual convetion is free. FREE

Announcement:
https://www.marssociety.org/news/2020/0 … onvention/

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2020-mars- … 2005870304

#2 2020-05-01 21:48:07

tahanson43206

Re: 2020 Mars Society Convention

For RobertDyck re #1

Thank you for the new topic, and for news of the unusual nature of this event!

My recollection (from viewing a few of your 5000+ posts) is that you have given at least one paper at at least one Mars Society Convention.

It's a lot of work to prepare to give a paper for any gathering, and I would imagine the Mars Society is as tough a venue as any.

Could the forum help you think about a possible presentation, and perhaps even contribute in some way?

(th)

#3 2020-05-02 08:59:43

RobertDyck
Website

I did ask SpaceNut to restore my original discussion thread on Saint Johns, Newfoundland. It has details of the history. I would like to present that history as an analogy to Mars settlement. And Mars Government: you could call it Corporate Government, but it's really libertarian. And updating Mars Direct. And my alternate Mars mission plan. And my idea for a Lunar mission. So that's 5 presentations. Wanted to do them for a long time, just couldn't afford to go.

Yes, I presented my alternate Mars mission in 2002. Presented aluminum smelting in 2004. Did a few in 2005.

#4 2020-05-02 10:57:13

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #3

Thank you for confirming my impression, and adding details!

You've given several (I'll call them lectures) on Saint Johns, probably due to the (apparent) ephemeral nature of the forum.  They are consistent in substance, but vary in length and might even vary a bit in details as you recall them.

I'd like to try to enlist your support of the forum-as-an-archive idea.  Each author can provide a way for future members and long time ones, to find or to find again posts (and series of posts) that are worth re-reading.

I've browsed the archive over the past year or so, often thanks to SpaceNut restoring a topic to visibility, but also as a result of the random selection of a topic by a robot spam program.  My impression is that the overall quality of effort made by contributors has been pretty good.  This is a forum that is free and open to the public, so it is understandable that there are a few clinkers.

The bottom line of ** this ** post is that forum contributors can help to make content recoverable, by investing just a little bit of thought into creating tags for posts that contain content that is worth someone's time.

Edit#1: In today's world of Zoom and Skype and Twitch, it is possible for you (if you so choose) to practice your presentation with an audience of friends from this forum.  In comparing Zoom and Twitch, I can see that both offer the option for a presenter to take ownership of the primary screen, for slides or even videos, and then to pass control back to the host.

I've not used Skype for several years, but assume it has developed along those lines as well.

You can even record an entire session and submit ** that ** to the Mars Society, if you want to, and if they would prefer that. 

A benefit to the conference organizer is they would have all their presentations lined up and approved ahead of time, and the Q&A sessions would be open to whoever is signed in for that purpose.  The entire collection of pre-recorded presentations and Q&A's would be packaged for YouTube and thus for as many folks as want to see the material as there may be over time.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-05-02 14:07:35)

Board footer