New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#101 2019-06-25 20:00:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: The state of US Education

We might be out for summer but
One of the largest school districts in Mississippi is losing more than 200 teachers over the summer because they did not fulfill the requirements of an alternative license program

This is more common than one would think in that acredation for credentials to be allowed to continue to teach....

#102 2019-08-24 19:38:58

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re Collection: EducationDoneRight

Having just advised Calliban to read your collection of posts with this search term, I decided to re-read it.

On this reading (of at least four) I came away with two key points or values:

a) Perform lab immediately after theory
b) Do not grade on the curve

Each reading seems to lead to something else (at least for me).

In the case of Calliban's newly introduced topic, there is the potential (should he decide to pursue it) to lay down a series of posts by multiple contributors, that would capture some of the knowledge that would be needed to plan an expedition (automated or crewed) to Apophis (or any similar asteroid).

In this particular case, the education opportunity would be for a person who chances across the topic, to find nuggets worth pursuing through independent study.

SpaceNut is noteworthy (in my experience) for his skill in pulling related topics from the Internet.  While some may not provide assistance for a specific need at a particular moment, the one's I've pursued so far have all been interesting, and most have reflected considerable effort on the part of the authors.  Some have reflected exhaustive efforts on the part of dedicated teams.

If Calliban decides to pursue the educational opportunity for his topic, I hope you will have a moment or two, now and then, to help him along.

(th)

#103 2019-08-25 09:26:43

GW Johnson
Website

Well,  if I can help,  I'd be glad to.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#104 2019-08-25 15:36:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

This is the topic Colonizing / terraforming small asteroids

Launch window for vehicles that we have for payloads that could be delivered comes to mind...

#105 2019-12-01 17:49:01

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut primarily, but I'm hoping other forum members may be interested.

The link I'll post below is delivered with Windows 10, so it will be familiar to many forum readers.

I'd like to highlight the sophisticated use of technology to improve the learning experience for college students in Australia.

https://news.microsoft.com/features/hig … ith-teams/

The NewMars forum can be understood as a learning environment, although it has functioned as a debate club for part of its history.

(th)

#106 2019-12-01 20:03:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

Certificate error on old OS browsers but from Microsoft you would assume its safe to view...

When Kellermann began studying mechanical engineering at UNSW in 2000, his professors would write on clear transparencies beamed onto the wall with overhead projectors. Students copied what they saw into paper notebooks and worked on problems from the textbooks they were required to buy. Collaboration and physical presence were necessities – students had to be on-site to copy down the notes and participate in study groups, which were the only way to get help with problems.

Can relate to those days of proffessor professing that they can teach you the course and actuallity they could not do anything but regurgitate fact....

By the time he began teaching, the first wave of digital education was in full swing. Students could upload digital copies of course packs rather than having to buy textbooks, and lectures were recorded and available for playback later. But ultimately, the concept hadn’t changed. Students were still consumers, absorbing information passively.

The computers while the software can give interactive examples simular to the problems in the reading and test its still lacking information for even those capable of the new method of going paperless.

Yet the student body had become drastically different. Some now cared for small children or aging parents at home, or had to work, and could only be on campus part-time. Some students were on the autism spectrum, were blind, deaf or had other types of disabilities. And Kellermann, who views students as his colleagues, wanted to provide them all with the same high-quality education, in an atmosphere that would prepare them for the collaboration and professional skills they’d need in their new careers, while catering to their diversity.

Next step was a purchase of technology and software to create an interactive teaching educational method that took the student out of the classroom and into the living room with the chat program allow others to teach and learn at there own rate. Trying to teach the 1 classroom approach to when our teachers grew up when all ages and abilities were in the room attempting to learn the same information as present at age appropiate levels of understanding means taking different approaches to what one knows of the individual and not treating them all the same way..

#107 2020-08-04 17:32:58

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re topic ...

This topic has been out of view since December of last year ... It is a development in the State of New Hampshire that inspires me to bring it back into view.

A national TV news program spent a surprising amount of time looking at the changes in progress at a private university in the state.

It appears that the university has been hard at work developing an up-to-date online learning environment for a number of years, and they have (apparently) been so successful they're going to make a super big bet ... Incoming freshmen get their first year of tuition free, and each year after that will be $10,000 instead of the default of $30,000 (or so). 

If you are not familiar with this school, it wouldn't be surprising.  It is one of 5,000 similar schools across the country that have been quietly turning out graduates for many decades, until the current crisis hit.

(th)

#108 2021-05-31 01:53:49

Mars_B4_Moon

Six Obama Era Education Policy Mistakes Joe Biden Should Avoid

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petergreen … ould-avoid

OPINION: Common Core failed to prepare our generation for communicating in the real world

https://www.technicianonline.com/opinio … 7fe54.html

Board footer