New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#1501 2019-09-30 02:44:53

Terraformer
Website

Re: Politics

SpaceNut, the UK doesn't exist because of linguistic nationalism. If its culture and native people are replaced, but the new inhabitants speak English, Gaelic, and Welsh, it will still have been zombified - there's a country walking around wearing Britain as a skinsuit, but it's not the same country.

There's definitely room here for a new political party, picking up votes from Labour's traditional heartlands. A party that pushes for low immigration, solving the housing crisis through whichever means are required (council housing is not off the table), and ending austerity would do very well in this country. Possibly, it would displace Labour, as Labour displaced the Liberals. I'm not sure the Brexit party is up to the task, though.

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney

#1502 2019-09-30 09:03:57

tahanson43206

Google came up with this article, when I asked it why democracies seem to divide into equal groups who hate each other to the point of civil war.  The article is a summary of work done by social scientists over an extended period, and covering many nations.

I came away discouraged.  It appears that it is human nature to give away the blessings of democracy to autocrats in return for perceived short term gain.

https://www.journalofdemocracy.org/arti … democracy/

(th)

#1503 2019-09-30 11:58:49

GW Johnson
Website

Well,  dumbing-down education is a part of this.  It is easier to mislead people who do not know any better.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#1504 2019-09-30 12:14:05

Terraformer
Website

Aye. You have to cut off a people from their roots, before you can start telling them they don't have culture and need to import it by replacing themselves.

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney

#1505 2019-10-11 17:56:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

The situation of the middle east is anything but quite after being there decades and with the latest withdrawal from the area of the Kurds, Turkey has launched and invasion against them.
Turkey Syria offensive: Dozens killed as assault continues

No one is really buying this line as Turkey defended its offensive as a bid to create a "safe zone" free of Kurdish militias which could also house Syrian refugees.

Its sad how we treat an ally versus an enemy...

Then there is the supposed attacks on the Saudi's which has sent in motion Iran–Saudi Arabia proxy conflict

#1506 2019-10-11 18:15:32

kbd512

SpaceNut,

Yep.  I completely disagree with President Trump on this one.

BTW, has anyone else here come to the conclusion that they've been murdering each other centuries before the US existed and they'll most likely be murdering each other centuries after the US isn't even a faint memory?

#1507 2019-10-12 03:46:36

Terraformer
Website

What's America to do? Fight against it's ally Turkey?

The Kurd's knew this was coming, anyway. Never trust the Crafty Yankee.  Even if you have a treaty with him, you can't trust him to actually hold to it.

#1508 2019-10-12 17:16:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well there should be no choice as the ISSI prisoners have gotten free to fight once more. Since the Kurds and turkey are allies then there should not be any attacks of them as the real enemy is at large because of the turkey bombings. They also hit US special forces that were in the area and that is an attack of our people.

There have been a few resigning folks for the WH Homeland Security acting head Kevin McAleenan resigns, leaving department at war with itself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T … signations

#1510 2019-10-13 17:45:28

kbd512

SpaceNut,

Without staying there forever, how would you propose we get rid of ISIS?

We killed the dictators that prevented those terrorists groups from coming to power under both Bush and Obama.  We gave the Taliban (ultimately bin Laden's al-Qaeda) the weapons and training to fight the Soviets in Afghanistan under Reagan, which ultimately lead to America being attacked during 9/11.  We attacked the Somalis under Clinton, which caused them to rise up against us.  Now there are a bunch of fringe radical groups everywhere over there who were just waiting to take over those societies that.

The dictators were certainly not friendly to the US, but are they starting to look a lot better than the alternatives?

When will we finally admit to ourselves that we don't know how to run their affairs, they never wanted us there, and there's little to no benefit to us actually staying over there forever?

#1511 2019-10-13 18:46:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

It will take many decades if we have learned anything from Berlin for how we change the people that are just beyond a wall. This was a long ojective from the start and we are failing with the pull out. We are also failing when we turn our backs on those that are called allies.

Board footer