New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1501 2019-09-30 02:44:53

Terraformer
Website

Re: Politics

SpaceNut, the UK doesn't exist because of linguistic nationalism. If its culture and native people are replaced, but the new inhabitants speak English, Gaelic, and Welsh, it will still have been zombified - there's a country walking around wearing Britain as a skinsuit, but it's not the same country.

There's definitely room here for a new political party, picking up votes from Labour's traditional heartlands. A party that pushes for low immigration, solving the housing crisis through whichever means are required (council housing is not off the table), and ending austerity would do very well in this country. Possibly, it would displace Labour, as Labour displaced the Liberals. I'm not sure the Brexit party is up to the task, though.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#1502 2019-09-30 09:03:57

tahanson43206

Google came up with this article, when I asked it why democracies seem to divide into equal groups who hate each other to the point of civil war.  The article is a summary of work done by social scientists over an extended period, and covering many nations.

I came away discouraged.  It appears that it is human nature to give away the blessings of democracy to autocrats in return for perceived short term gain.

https://www.journalofdemocracy.org/arti … democracy/

(th)

#1503 2019-09-30 11:58:49

GW Johnson
Website

Well,  dumbing-down education is a part of this.  It is easier to mislead people who do not know any better.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#1504 2019-09-30 12:14:05

Terraformer
Website

Aye. You have to cut off a people from their roots, before you can start telling them they don't have culture and need to import it by replacing themselves.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#1505 2019-10-11 17:56:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

The situation of the middle east is anything but quite after being there decades and with the latest withdrawal from the area of the Kurds, Turkey has launched and invasion against them.
Turkey Syria offensive: Dozens killed as assault continues

No one is really buying this line as Turkey defended its offensive as a bid to create a "safe zone" free of Kurdish militias which could also house Syrian refugees.

Its sad how we treat an ally versus an enemy...

Then there is the supposed attacks on the Saudi's which has sent in motion Iran–Saudi Arabia proxy conflict

#1506 2019-10-11 18:15:32

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Yep.  I completely disagree with President Trump on this one.

BTW, has anyone else here come to the conclusion that they've been murdering each other centuries before the US existed and they'll most likely be murdering each other centuries after the US isn't even a faint memory?

#1507 2019-10-12 03:46:36

Terraformer
Website

What's America to do? Fight against it's ally Turkey?

The Kurd's knew this was coming, anyway. Never trust the Crafty Yankee.  Even if you have a treaty with him, you can't trust him to actually hold to it.

#1508 2019-10-12 17:16:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well there should be no choice as the ISSI prisoners have gotten free to fight once more. Since the Kurds and turkey are allies then there should not be any attacks of them as the real enemy is at large because of the turkey bombings. They also hit US special forces that were in the area and that is an attack of our people.

There have been a few resigning folks for the WH Homeland Security acting head Kevin McAleenan resigns, leaving department at war with itself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T … signations

#1510 2019-10-13 17:45:28

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Without staying there forever, how would you propose we get rid of ISIS?

We killed the dictators that prevented those terrorists groups from coming to power under both Bush and Obama.  We gave the Taliban (ultimately bin Laden's al-Qaeda) the weapons and training to fight the Soviets in Afghanistan under Reagan, which ultimately lead to America being attacked during 9/11.  We attacked the Somalis under Clinton, which caused them to rise up against us.  Now there are a bunch of fringe radical groups everywhere over there who were just waiting to take over those societies that.

The dictators were certainly not friendly to the US, but are they starting to look a lot better than the alternatives?

When will we finally admit to ourselves that we don't know how to run their affairs, they never wanted us there, and there's little to no benefit to us actually staying over there forever?

#1511 2019-10-13 18:46:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

It will take many decades if we have learned anything from Berlin for how we change the people that are just beyond a wall. This was a long ojective from the start and we are failing with the pull out. We are also failing when we turn our backs on those that are called allies.

#1512 2019-10-20 08:44:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

The shell game continues with moving the military around U.S. troops leaving Syria for western Iraq, Defense Secretary Esper says

All of the nearly 1,000 U.S. troops withdrawing from northern Syria will head to western Iraq to have the military continue to conduct operations against the ISIS group to prevent its resurgence.

#1513 2019-10-27 12:54:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

The big news of the day Trump: Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is dead but as usual aligning Trump told Russians before congressional leaders of the military end. The why would you tell an enemy first comes to mind as a question of loyalty to America.

#1514 2019-11-04 21:03:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think that Trump thought that changing his state of residency would stop the quest for his tax returns.
Trump Taxes: Appeals Court Rules President Must Turn Over 8 Years of Tax Returns

#1515 2019-11-05 08:49:04

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

President Trump told the Russians what was going on before Congress so none of the Democrats would tip off the terrorists before they were captured or killed.  At least we don't have to worry about the Russians doing anything so petty and self-destructive.  Meanwhile, the Democrats in Congress continue to support their anti-Semitic membership who extoll the virtues of terrorist organizations while they continue their assault on the state of Israel.

Regarding the taxes, President Trump is probably tired of giving money to a state run by capricious hate-filled little children, today's Democrat Party by any other name, who will do any deed and tell any lie to reverse the results of the 2016 elections, namely crafting special laws specifically intended to attack one person- him.

The Democrats are doing a much better job of demonstrating to the American people just how berserk they've gone than I could have ever hoped for, but sadly, also their complete inability to govern or even just behave like well-adjusted adults.  I sincerely hope Democrats keep at it, so as to leave no doubt in anyone's minds just how petty and power-mad they've become.  The Democrat political / media (and they clearly don't draw any distinction between Roman entertainment and actual news) circus is like watching a 4-year-long temper tantrum thrown by a 3 year old who has been told by his parents that he's not getting the toy he wanted.  Virtually none of the peoples' business is getting taken care of while we, the American people, are forced to sit and watch these spoiled children throwing their hissy fit.

#1516 2019-11-05 10:58:26

Calliban

It is noticeable that everything the American Left touch (and the left everywhere to be honest) seems to turn into shite.  It isn't long before anyone interested in the future just wants to get away from any place where these people hold power.  They use unrestricted immigration to deliberately dilute White Americans into minority status.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/con … red-states

They seem determined to turn America (and the world) into a giant multiracial version of Soviet East Germany.  The above article describes the exodus of White Americans out of California.  Declining living standards, rising taxes, overcrowding, excrement in the streets and ethnic minority status, do not, for some reason, seem to appeal to most White Americans.  Ironically, many of those leaving probably voted Dem in the past and some of them will be moronic enough to do it again, even after the effects of that decision literally drove them from their homes.

Last edited by Calliban (2019-11-05 11:02:30)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#1517 2019-11-11 22:24:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

#1518 2019-11-12 11:53:29

elderflower

A wall in Colorado! Really?

#1519 2019-11-12 19:45:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

Ya it was funny when it was said and now its just proves....

#1520 2019-11-30 21:26:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

I am sure that you have seen this Kbd512 as Its been quite some time since we talked about the vehicle loss and saw the headlines for 50 stolen cars found stripped in southeast Houston field

#1521 2019-12-07 16:33:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Trump moved the troops when he said Isis was gone and that was far from the truth and did nothing when the suadi kill a man that went there..and does a big show of his face in afganistan but we are now being attack on our home land at military installations....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/06/us/p … oting.html
Six Saudis Said to Be Questioned After Pensacola Navy Base Shooting

Authorities were trying to determine whether the shooting that killed three and injured eight others was an act of terrorism.

#1522 2019-12-07 19:26:41

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Yes, as I later learned, Houston has a significant problem with motor vehicle theft.  It's mostly driven, no pun intended, by organized crime.

Whether ISIS is gone or not, there will always be another terrorist group to take their place.  Ultimately, we need to leave the Middle East and stay out of their lands.  I would much prefer we apply that policy to the entire planet, even amongst countries who want our military presence to remain in place.  Those people are never going to stop murdering other people in the name of their religions, so you need to either accept their murderous tendencies or accept that disarmament only leads to more murder.  When everyone is actually armed, as they never are, even on US military installations, terrorists can shoot one or two people at most before everyone else returns the favor.

I spent the overwhelming majority of my time in the US Navy completely unarmed, unless cruise missiles and gatling guns or chain guns count as "personal protection".  I humbly opine that they do not, which is why a pistol or carbine is more appropriate for fending off attacks from deranged loners.  If we can't even trust our own officers and enlisted with their weapons, then they have no business being in our military and we have a much, much bigger problem with good order and discipline.  If such is not the case, and again I will humbly opine that it is not, then we'll keep sacrificing good men, women, and children on the alter of magical thinking until the idea that everyone, meaning you and I personally along with everyone else, have to fight back against evil people to stop them and that typically requires being armed since we no longer live in the Stone Age.

#1523 2019-12-07 20:00:35

SpaceNut
Administrator

Seems that the wall needs to be built around them as well to keep them in there lands and not allow them out.

With the news on the government installation shootings the wife did not want me to go to work out of fear that it could happen to me.
Knowing that I am aware of those around me and that security measure are in place being prepared to take action is half of the battle allows me to go to work each day. We put a lot of trust in the people in uniform, which perform there duty without question and as such I do the same in return to prepare the equipment and machines which they use.

#1524 2019-12-19 12:06:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

#1525 2019-12-31 16:07:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

Corey Lewandowski, the political operative who was President Trump’s first 2016 campaign manager In a series of tweets Tuesday morning, Corey Lewandowski Says He Won’t Run for New Hampshire Senate Seat

Board footer