New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#201 2019-06-03 19:59:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Why do we have Poverty in America

Was looking for some more places that are doing shelter style work to give housing to the homeless vet. I think that maine has a couple of different places in Cabin in the Woods

small cottage home or camp with power

Cabin_Line_Up.jpg

https://www.servicelink.nh.gov/links/do … -guide.pdf

Of course I know of another that is a tiny home chapel site for veterans as well....

With these I would think that there would be less of a homeless population but I still see plenty each day and one was a vet that bikes around everywhere and sleeps in the open even in winter seldom going to a shelter....

If it were possible to built the image in post #177 or something simular it would give at least shelter....

#202 2019-06-05 19:31:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

#203 2019-06-05 21:31:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

#204 2019-06-06 19:45:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

#205 2019-06-07 05:19:01

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

Thanks for adding this to the topic ...

This morning I caught an extended discussion of this dilemma, including an interview with the mayor of Los Angeles, who expressed frustration.

Reading between the lines (not quite the right metaphor for a radio broadcast) I get the impression the situation is embarrassing.

The background analysis included mention that an apartment in Los Angeles now goes for $2,000 per month.  The report did not specify what level apartment this would be, so I have to assume it is an average.

In the past week or so, (it might have been one of the links you posted here), I read a report about the policy active in Helsinki, to address the homeless issue by providing homes, no questions asked.  The article included an interview with a public official, who said (as I recall) that the decision was made to address the root cause of homelessness by providing a (modest but real) home.  The city then helps the renter to solve the rest of whatever problems they may have, knowing that the person is working from a solid base.

I noted that the plan puts the individual on a normal financial footing from the start, by insuring they pay a rent (using a stipend as needed), so they are in the mode of normal money flows from the start.

It is a bit of a stretch to imagine Los Angeles undertaking a project like that.

(th)

#206 2019-06-07 19:27:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

ouch for the price tag...160 hrs a month to reach the price means a base earning 12.50 and thats at 100%

For California:
On January 1, 2019, the minimum wage will increase to $12 per hour.
On January 1, 2020, the minimum wage will increase to $13 per hour.
On January 1, 2021, the minimum wage will increase to $14 per hour.
On January 1, 2022, the minimum wage will increase to $15 per hour.

So not even a living wage to keep a roof over ones own head...

That said a safety net of a low income housing means that you have the roof if you keep working and you will feel like you are part of the dream but when its time to retire you will find that all you did was delay what will eventually happen as you do not have the funds to keep that roof over your head.

A full time minimum wage worker in New Hampshire working will earn $290.00 per week, or $15,080.00 per year. New Hampshire's minimum wage rate as of, 2019 is $7.25 per hour.

median price for apartment rentals running at $650 per month. Nashua Apartments.
August 2018, the average apartment rent in Manchester, NH is $873 for a studio, $1,152 for one bedroom, $1,382 for two bedrooms, and $1,497 for three bedrooms

So not much better in NH if you are only making the minimum wage levels....

#207 2019-06-11 10:33:15

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #188

Thank for setting up this topic.  It should last as long as the nation does.

SpaceNut wrote:

So teaching a man a trade allows him to stay fed but teach a man to create a business means he can feed many. Our education system does not do that...
Being rich or intellegent does not go hand in hand, big dreams and dumb luck to create the business that creates the many jobs as well do not change the situation.
Meaningfull work of any type is just a job priority #1 but without someone that wants the end product you have no job not even a employer.
Being able to reduce one's expenses to being well below the earnings is the only way one gets out of poverty.

I like your summary in the quote above.  As a caveat, however, many businesses are set up for legal purposes, and many of those never employ anyone.

Still, the spirit of your observation is what I support.  A person "can" employ many.  The education system does appear to support education to create businesses at the college level, but I think it would be helpful if everyone is exposed to the expectation they will set up a business.  I'm focused on the US but the sentiment should work everywhere.   Even if a person never sets up a business, and always works for wages, it seems to me it would be helpful to have an idea of what it takes to set up and sustain a business.

An editorial in the local paper reported recently on a campaign to expose kids to factory jobs of today, to try to overcome stereotypes about dirty work places.

The piece is a bit self-serving, so I won't provide a link unless someone asks.  Instead, I'd like to summarize the campaign, and invite other forum members to comment.

The idea has been to set up "summer camps" to give lower school kids exposure to some of the occupations which still exist in the state where I live.

There will be 27 of these camps in this state this summer.  They last for a week, and a typical enrollment is 23 kids.

The days, organized by leaders in local schools, economic development and business, are chock-full of information, hands-on projects, in-person witnessing of various types of jobs, and sometimes even viewing the making of a product from start to finish.

The title of the piece is "Promoting factory jobs".

And that brings me back to the point you made, SpaceNut ... the camps are certainly a good idea, because future businesses are certainly going to need workers, but they continue the focus on JOBS which you have repeatedly spotlighted in your posts, and they DO NOT (as far as I can determine) offer a glimpse of what it takes to create a business in the first place.

In the My Hacienda topic which exists (as far as I know) ONLY on this forum, was opened (with the help of RobertDyck)  to create a conceptual framework in which up to 2750 people could define business activity upon which they would like to concentrate in the Mars setting. My expectation is that just about ANY business that might be imagined for Sagan City would work well right here on Earth.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2019-06-11 10:39:56)

#208 2019-06-11 20:12:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

Creation of business job types come to mind for what we need when Mars is a near zero to start and must leverage after the work for the mission control has been fore filled such that you are making your own future once there.

For earth Jobs that pay come with distance and or moving costs which until the cash starved conditions that we are starting in leads to cost control measures to make it possible to save money so that one can climb out of poverty.

Transportation is over looked for getting that better job that pays more but it comes with a price tag for use.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-issues … s-for-2019
https://www.federalregister.gov/documen … for-moving

So milage x 2 of where you live to where you can work, is the loss one takes to make a living.

Jan. 1, 2019, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) will be: 58 cents per mile driven for business use, which covers the fuel, wear and tare, registration, but not insurance or replacement repair inspections.

That said a simple 10 miles is is $11.60 for that one time use out of the hourly pay you are earning. So the farther one must travel the higher the cost will be to the vehicle operator. There are busses and other but for the most part its very limited use which can occur and its not emergency freindly when you really need to be somewhere else fast.

So 5 days a week it adds up fast what you need to set aside for the ability to keep a car or truck in use...so if you go by a place to shop for the daily or weekly food by you stop along the way so as to save a trip cost.

So one of the things that I have noted for the more traveled homeless is that they have a bike of some sort to aid with the cost of transportation and use the bus when its long distance that they must travel for the most part.

Board footer