New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#51 2019-03-21 17:14:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: My Hacienda On Mars

You might also try to drum up new members by getting accounts on other forums.

Start a simular topic in them and point back to this one to aid in recruting efforts.

#52 2019-03-21 18:21:33

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck ... Thanks for a helpful tip!  There are several activities that showed up when I asked Mr. Google about Mars on Second Life.

RobertDyck wrote:
tahanson43206 wrote:

At this point I have not been able to determine if Mars Society has a presence on Second Life (or any other virtual platform).

I am not aware of any official presence. However, there are people who have done things. Just do a Google search for "Second Life Mars" and you will find several. None are officially part of the Mars Society, but all have something to do with Mars.

I am particularly interested in this:

Mars Productions Moderate
Main Store: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/B … 45/176/664
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/66949
Radio: http://marsproductions.ddns.net:8000
Feb 2018: Newsletter 54
Upgrader v136
Ring of Compliance v96 - Addins: SpeakWhenSpokenTo v20,Remote v6,Automatic v14,Cage v11,Doll v6
Multi-Relay v11
Total HUD v2
Gag v30
Gas Jet v7
Blindfold v2
Skirts v15
Control Zone v30
Teleporter v19
Gothic Cell v21
Laser Door/Cell v7
Cell v4
Quest v20
QD Gun v8
Laser Exterminator v1
Pay v2

Founder
mars.tamale
Members
Enrollment
Open Enrollment
View group info in Viewer sidebar

<< Sigh >>  This may be a typical Second Life money making activity without much connection to the planet.

I'll check it out but am not optimistic.  Still .... gotta start somewhere!

(th)

#53 2019-03-21 18:26:05

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... thanks for an interesting suggestion .... I thought of the Reddit subreddit that Edward heisler helped to start.

That site seemed on the busy side when I visited a few weeks back. 

(th)

SpaceNut wrote:

You might also try to drum up new members by getting accounts on other forums.

Start a simular topic in them and point back to this one to aid in recruting efforts.

#54 2019-03-28 07:21:21

tahanson43206

SpaceNut's discovery of two studies (one for Mars and one for Phobos) inspired thoughts of site preparation for landing fully built habitat structures.

Assuming the desired location is one of the plots in Sagan City (2018):

Robot equipment (perhaps with telepresence from Phobos) can dig a vertical shaft for the habitat, and horizontal tunnels for transportation between habitats.

The tailings from the excavations can be piled on the surface for future use, which could included radiation covers but could also include feedstock for bricks or other objects useful to either the Hacienda itself, or to customers.

I'm thinking (in particular) of landing a Starship-class vehicle in a vertical shaft, for immediate occupancy.

The nose of the vessel could be above the local surface, allowing for viewing the surroundings, while the bulk of the vehicle would be below surface level, protected from wind, dust and radiation.

The vehicle could be prepared for service as a habitat during a layover at Phobos.

Links found by SpaceNut:

HUMAN SPACEFLIGHT: PHOBOS BASE

#23 of Rubble Piles

SpaceNut

A Permanent Settlement on Mars

SpaceNut #8 of Habitat Design on Mars

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2019-03-28 07:33:31)

#55 2019-03-28 19:05:20

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sure the buildings might remind you of the Flintstones but for Mars they are the real deal.

nasa-awards-ai-spacefactory-for-marsha-a-3d-printed-vertical-martian-habitat-4.jpg

This was the nuclear fission hydrogen system that was propsed for the moons use and is in the kilowatt sizing
nasa-awards-ai-spacefactory-for-marsha-a-3d-printed-vertical-martian-habitat-5.jpg

Home for family
nasa-awards-ai-spacefactory-for-marsha-a-3d-printed-vertical-martian-habitat-6.jpg

A place to call home
nasa-awards-ai-spacefactory-for-marsha-a-3d-printed-vertical-martian-habitat-7.jpg

nasa-awards-ai-spacefactory-for-marsha-a-3d-printed-vertical-martian-habitat-9.jpg

#56 2019-04-17 11:04:54

tahanson43206

For all ...

The local paper ran a story recently, about an individual who is growing salt water shrimp inland.  It seems to me this activity is a natural to be considered for Mars, and the people who could make it happen are alive on Earth today, in 2019. 

I would very much like to see someone bid for a plot in Sagan City (2018) with the intention of creating a conceptual framework for this particular business. Because of the Rule of Three for capitalist society, I would like to see at least three plots reserved to develop this capability, so that the rudiments of a functioning marketplace will be in place for this specialty.

https://www.dispatch.com/business/20190 … -cambridge

(th)

#57 2019-04-17 16:25:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

One issue is at the place in time to which such developement can take place. Since the water needs earth level pressures to keep it from evaporating. Which means to make it practicle as a food source we will need a very large structure along with tons of water to go with the tank which the shrimp will be housed in. Any aquatic food will fall into much of the same demands for airation of the water, circulation and filtering to keep what we do not want growing in it. You just might find a topic or so that talks about water based foods.

#58 2019-05-14 17:58:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

#59 2019-05-15 17:44:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thanks for the content as it would apply here as well for the post 58 second image design:

JoshNH4H wrote:

What I'm thinking about is sort of like what was discussed in this thread, using a large deep hole to get a higher atmospheric pressure.  Unlike the discussions in the thread I was thinking not to use SF6 but instead to use Mars's native CO2 atmosphere.  The ten trillion dollar question is how deep of a hole you'd need to dig before the pressure becomes tenable for humans.

Luckily, we have the barometric formula, reproduced below:

https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media … 5efb6f69d4

Where

P is the pressure at height h
P_b is the pressure at h=0 (0.6 kPa at the datum)
M is the mean molar mass of the gas (0.044 kg/mol for Mars's predominantly CO2 atmosphere)
g_0 is the gravity (3.7 m/s^2)
R is the universal gas constant, 8.314 J/molK
Tb is the atmospheric temperature (I'll assume 250 K)
(h-hb) is the height

To get a 40 kPa atmosphere (40% of Earth mean sea level) according to this equation you would need to dig a hole to about 54 km below the datum.  Mars's extreme topographical variation helps a bit: Valles Marineris is 4 km below the datum, and Hellas 9.  You might dig a hole with angled sides at 45 degrees having funiculars running up and down the sides (angled so that sunlight reaches the bottom and for material stability) with a town at the bottom where a gas exchange seal (but not a pressure seal) keeps in an oxygenated atmosphere.  A Trench of Babel, if you would.  The much thicker atmosphere at the bottom would likely result in fairly warm air there compared to the surface.  Plants could certainly survive, and even begin the process of oxygen generation.  You might even fill some of the bottom with water to create a nice lake or sea (but on the other hand, perhaps not: Any humidity would certainly condense into clouds or fog near the top and block the sunlight).

It's a megaproject for sure.  My question is, once you get past the massive scale of earthmoving that would be required, just how hard it would be.  Could it be done?

#60 Yesterday 16:12:15

SpaceNut
Administrator

I was reminded of the book for mars in that it suggests a "Tent Towns" and joshnh4h has created that new topic.
It suggests a mobility effort ....

Board footer