New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#51 2019-04-15 17:55:43

Void

Re: Space X - another successful mission...

Well Louis, I would say the guy is mostly goofing on people, but with some crumbs of actual desired intention.  But perhaps things that cannot be attained.

The guy is entitled to some fun here and there in my opinion.  And some extra permissions as well.

……

But for your entertainment I will ponder some of the wormhole references he left behind, from my point reference which is not necessarily like his, or what he is up to.

The reference to the "Ring of fire".
Quote:

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
Apr 14
Starship will land on a ring of fire

One connection to him for this is this:  https://www.tmz.com/2017/10/27/elon-mus … hnny-cash/ 

I think that that comes from a while back, and may be connected to Tesla.

For me the ring of fire is a propulsive cushion of rocket plume aimed upwards from the ground, and the landing device should have something like a wing, in order to get a cushioned landing.  To complete this you might have a "Bouncy House" (But not necessarily).  I would float the bouncy house barge in a pond.  Then upon impact both the air cushioned platform and the pond water would dissipate impact force.  But this could easily be a false reference to what Elon might have in mind.

But for a short time Elon Musk said he wanted to make a Mini-BFR out of the 2nd stage of Falcon 9 and recover it with....
http://fortune.com/2018/04/16/elon-musk … ncy-house/

But he almost immediately abandoned the idea of a Mini-BFR.  Soon, I think I started hearing about a revision of BFR, and eventually the use of Stainless Steel.

Another thing that Elon Musk has said is "Cyborg Dragon".
http://fortune.com/2018/04/25/elon-musk … n-twitter/

Some of these references are getting messed up by time and interference.  However the query "Cyborg Dragon" with Elon Musk will reference that for you if you like.
……

I will try to shorten this up.  He definitely said without certainty of success, that the dragon wings would be of Stainless Steel, and he hoped that they could get the peak temperature endured during re-entry at ~1000 degC.  In that case he said that only bare metal would be needed for any of the heat shield.  I presume that is for both Earth and Mars.  It seems to be an asperation, and not a certainty.

However, if I reference his previous work, I don't think he is that devoted to proper wings, rather they would be to increase the surface area of the craft while not proportionally increasing it's mass, and so getting favor on peak temperature.

…..

The next part is my opinion only.  If the "Wings" exist, and the "Burning Ring of Fire", were indeed a plume of rocket engines firing upwards from the ground, then the wings could also help the craft land on a cushion of "Upward firing Plume".  Stainless Steel might endure it for a short time, and a short time might be enough.

This trick might be quite useful if you were trying to land heavy loads.

However I would not try it with people on board.

And that's about all I have.  Hold your pillory as, I do not hold any of this speculation as being particularly accurate as to what Elon Musk or SpaceX may be up to.

You asked, I volunteered to be the fool.
smile
Done.

Last edited by Void (2019-04-15 18:21:31)

I like people who criticize angels dancing on a pinhead.  I also like it when angels dance on my pinhead.

#52 2019-04-15 18:29:41

Void

Re: Space X - another successful mission...

Here another reference to his play time:
https://futurism.com/the-byte/elon-musk … s-starship
Quote:

Just before the return of HBO’s mega-hit “Game of Thrones,” Musk tweeted that he was “thinking about adding giant stainless steel dragon wings to Starship” that could allow his eventually-Mars-bound spacecraft to keep cool during re-entry. “Starship will land on a ring of fire,” he added later.

Winter is Coming
When asked how serious he was on a scale of one to ten, Musk gave the plan a 6.5. And, to be fair, we’ve thought Musk was joking about plenty of things before — leading to his fair share of successes.
He put together a company devoted to digging tunnels called The Boring Company, for instance — and even marketed a novelty flamethrower.

Shoot for the Moon
Besides, SpaceX’s Starship is just as much of a moonshot as Musk’s other endeavors: a spacecraft that’s meant to shift the paradigm interplanetary travel, eventually offering up to 100 passengers a trip to the Moon or even Mars. From red-hot, futuristic “heatshield hex tiles” to a shiny retro-looking stainless steel dome, Starship is already looking like something straight out of science fiction.
So why not throw some high fantasy legendary creature wings on top of the pile?
READ MORE: ‘Game of Thrones’: Elon Musk Proposes Dragon Wings for SpaceX Starship [Inverse]
More on Starship: SpaceX’s Starship Hopper Completes First Tethered “Hop”
PEER REVIEWED CONTENT FROM PARTNERS WE LOVE