New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#26 2018-10-21 10:43:27

Terraformer
Website

Re: IQ and Space Colonisation

louis wrote:

Who defines "the population"?  You?

Terraformer wrote:

Regression to the mean happens once. After the first generation is born, their mean is the mean that the population is distributed around.

The population is the population. You know, the group of individuals of a species who are breeding together to produce the next generation. The definition of population which has been used for quite a long time by biologists.

Whatever intelligence is, IQ correlates quite well with it.

My point is, (1) intelligence is highly heritable, (2) space colonisation selects for individuals of high intelligence (the consequence of requiring prospective settlers to be either high income individuals or have degrees), and so (3) the spaceborn population will be smarter on average than the earthborn population. There's pretty much a scientific consensus regarding (1). Are people seriously disagreeing with (2)? If we manage cheap travel and terraforming, yes, I suppose we could see mass migration and homesteading. But if the ticket price remains >$100k, say, then I don't think there will be many people of below average intelligence going. At least if there are far more people who want to go than places available, giving the colonies the pick of humanity.

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney

#27 2018-10-24 13:57:28

Void

So this has gone somewhat quiet, so I will interfere.

I would start here:
http://www.elise.com/quotes/heinlein_-_ … or_insects
Quote:

Heinlein – Specialization is for Insects
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein

That is an ideal of course, and I don't know about butchering hogs on Mars, still, a guideline.

So, the evolution of a society on Mars will be unpredictable, and I would be best to have adaptable people who can change tasks as is needed by circumstances of the moment.

Degrees for the ruling classes are designed so they would know how to run a society.  Degrees for lower classes are absent such teachings, and really allow the rulers to put incompetents on top and competent people below.  The incompetents below the ruling classes must become "Yes-Men or Yes-Women.  This is because they can easily be replaced, and they will know it.  The competent people below can be stimulated to do more work, as they would like to be recognized as worthy.

It works fairly well, but in a frontier situation, it would most likely be wrong.

So, instead of a degree, you would want to test people to be sponsored to go to Mars for a broad range of proficiencies in actual works.

People of this type would be sponsored, to the degree that the Mars society had a deficit of their kind.

As for the rich, I guess the adventurous might go.  Like people who want to clime Mt. Everest.  But most wealthy people might prefer a plushy life back on Earth, or wherever they could have a plushy life.

Intelligent people would most likely succeed in the proficiency testing.  However, it might be that someone of an average intelligence would do something that is needed quite well, and so they might be sponsored.

George Friedman has said that most of the wow stuff that you have on your I-Phone and Androids, was created for the military by people earning $50,000 per year who typically retire poor.  It is just that when the stuff becomes declassified, companies like Apple, Microsoft, ect. can appropriate these things and claim genius.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2018-10-24 14:13:06)

I like people who criticize angels dancing on a pinhead.  I also like it when angels dance on my pinhead.

#28 2018-10-24 17:52:10

louis

That has never been the definition used in IQ testing.

The normal definition has been "the total number of people we did test or whom we might test"...it's never included the whole world population of people described as humans. Never.

You're now just reiterating your assertions, which isn't a very intelligent thing to do.

How do you explain the fact that people appeared to become incredibly MORE intelligent between 1950 and 2000?  Do you think they really became more intelligent. How do you explain the fact that people in once undeveloped countries are also becoming incredibly more "intelligent" as they get an education, radio, TV, smartphones etc? 

Can you - dimly perhaps - spy some sort of correlation here?

Lots of things correlate well for intelligence on a planetary level. Owning a car will definitely make you more intelligent on a plantetary level - at least in the way IQ tests compute intelligence.

I expect attending church will correlate with intelligence - the more you attend the more intelligent you will be...on average.

You might even find that reading books correlates with intelligence, as opposed to chewing gum which is the other way.

Some IQ testing suggests women are more intelligent than men...and yet what's the ratio of Nobel Prizes awarded to men v women?  What exactly is IQ "measuring" - some sort of "pure" intelligence that has no meaning in the real world?

IQ is complete and total hoax science. 

Terraformer wrote:
louis wrote:

Who defines "the population"?  You?

Terraformer wrote:

Regression to the mean happens once. After the first generation is born, their mean is the mean that the population is distributed around.

The population is the population. You know, the group of individuals of a species who are breeding together to produce the next generation. The definition of population which has been used for quite a long time by biologists.

Whatever intelligence is, IQ correlates quite well with it.

My point is, (1) intelligence is highly heritable, (2) space colonisation selects for individuals of high intelligence (the consequence of requiring prospective settlers to be either high income individuals or have degrees), and so (3) the spaceborn population will be smarter on average than the earthborn population. There's pretty much a scientific consensus regarding (1). Are people seriously disagreeing with (2)? If we manage cheap travel and terraforming, yes, I suppose we could see mass migration and homesteading. But if the ticket price remains >$100k, say, then I don't think there will be many people of below average intelligence going. At least if there are far more people who want to go than places available, giving the colonies the pick of humanity.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#29 2018-10-24 18:08:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

The IQ test is a test of knowledge gained and the ability to regurgitate it back out as knowledge retained.....retention of knowledge.....

Board footer