New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-06-16 14:36:15

louis

Space X - another successful mission...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqzaApyNNlg

Looks like another successful F9 mission - nice shot of rocket returning to landing zone, hitting the X bang in the middle!

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2018-06-27 18:36:45

louis

Re: Space X - another successful mission...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5faA2MZ6jY

Interesting vid on how Space X deal with the challenges of software in space.

#3 2018-07-22 18:26:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

I thought that there was a topic by this name to put another launch success into....

SpaceX successfully launches satellite, lands booster

Thirty-three minutes after launch, 15,500-pound Telstar 19 Vantage satellite was released. It's orbit is over the equator. Which marked the second launch for the Block 5 a 230-foot Falcon 9 rocket. The Falcon 9's first-stage booster landed on the deck of a SpaceX ship stationed in the Atlantic Ocean about 8 1/2 minutes after liftoff. It will return to Port Canaveral in a few days. SpaceX engineers expect the Block 5 rockets to fly up to 10 missions without refurbishment. Only minimal inspections will be required in-between missions.

#4 2018-10-07 19:25:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

Another first to be achieved with Watch SpaceX's first West Coast ground landing at 10:21PM ET

If all goes according to plan, this will be SpaceX's first ground landing on the West Coast -- it used a drone ship for California missions until now.

#5 2018-10-08 12:05:41

Oldfart1939

SpaceX actually achieved another pinpoint landing of the Block 5 booster back at Vandenberg AFB. Appeared to be another perfect orbital insertion of the satellite built for Argentina. This was also the 30th Falcon 9 booster stage successfully landed/recovered.

#6 2018-10-11 22:18:54

Belter

I think the genius of Musk is that he sets ridiculous goals and then frees the engineers to solve them.  It's hard to believe he's done as much as he has, though he's done so at incredible financial risk and by promising nearly the impossible.    But he always hits his goals, even if a bit late.  And without asking for cost overrun money.  I'll give him all that.   He is a visionary.

#7 2018-10-12 03:33:00

louis

He's an interesting amalgam of visionary, pragmatist and entrepreneur. I suppose in the tradition of Edison.

Belter wrote:

I think the genius of Musk is that he sets ridiculous goals and then frees the engineers to solve them.  It's hard to believe he's done as much as he has, though he's done so at incredible financial risk and by promising nearly the impossible.    But he always hits his goals, even if a bit late.  And without asking for cost overrun money.  I'll give him all that.   He is a visionary.

#8 2018-10-12 16:56:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

Design expectation, desired goal time line, limits set for funds to make use of....sound like a business plan....Nasa has 2 out of 3 can you guess which one they do not care about.....

#9 2018-10-16 21:27:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

I was sort of surprised with this SpaceX rocket debris washes up along Outer Banks beach

5bc6504c3f018.image.jpg?resize=750%2C631

Its also not the first piece to wash up....and it seems to be a part of the Rocket nose cones, or fairings, used to protect cargo, typically fall to the ocean and are not retrieved.

#10 2018-10-17 01:30:28

louis

#11 2018-10-17 17:33:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

wow

Coastguards believe it is from the unmanned SpaceX Falcon 9 which exploded after take-off in Florida in June.

However many astronomers believe it is from a different mission due to the size and markings.

If indeed this is from one of them then this is key piece of evidence into what might have gone wrong....

#12 2018-10-18 12:11:35

RobertDyck
Website

Why does it float? Spent rocket stages normally sink. There are a lot in the Atlantic off the Florida coast. My understanding is Falcon 9 core stage is aluminum lithium alloy. That should sink like any other aluminum part. Fairings are carbon fiber composite with acoustic foam lining. I can understand fairing pieces floating but how could a core stage piece float?

#13 2018-10-18 19:37:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

The image in post 9 is from payload shroud as thats particle paper and cork materials...

Debri field 6/2015:
ROCKET-DEBRIS-580-1.jpg

38BA96F700000578-3804509-image-a-11_1474886273051.jpg

#14 2018-10-19 00:55:58

louis

Space X learnt from their mistakes. Curious Elephant has a good video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShrhRQZYJLQ

#15 2018-10-19 07:53:50

Belter

Mexico news kept saying that it found a fallen satellite and I kept trying to correct them, explaining that it was just a shroud from an Ariane rocket launch, but of course, they kept repeating it over and over.

#16 2018-10-19 09:45:14

GW Johnson
Website

To answer Robert's question in post 12 above:  it's just a piece from a booster that broke up.    In calm water,  such a thing sinks.  But the Atlantic is stormy,  and shallow just off Florida.  Loose pieces laying on the bottom can be picked up by the dynamic lift of moving water. 

Same thing happens transporting rocks in the bottom of a fast-flowing stream.  The more vigorous the water motion,  the bigger the rock it can move.  Same thing easily transports big-area pieces of less density due to storm wave motion in the ocean.

There once was a piece of plumbing picked up on an African beach,  where storm wave action had thrown it.  It was identified from a part number still readable on the debris.  It was a piece of the propellant transfer plumbing from inside the Atlas booster that John Glenn rode to orbit in 1962. 

Not common,  but such things do happen.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#17 2018-11-11 13:26:49

tahanson43206

SpaceNut wrote:

Design expectation, desired goal time line, limits set for funds to make use of....sound like a business plan....Nasa has 2 out of 3 can you guess which one they do not care about.....

Spacenut, in the post above you used the term I was searching for today: business plan

I'm using your post as an anchor for what I hope you will consider an idea worth considering ...

The forum software (FluxBB) has a feature which might lend itself to a greater permanence of content.  The Edit feature allows the creator of a post to update it. I've done that several times when feedback from members reveals opportunity for improvement of the original text.

Would you be at all interested in encouraging development of business plans for future Mars entrepreneurs?   The environment in this forum occasionally reminds me of "Shark Tank" without the promise of funding.

If someone were to start a topic about a particular business plan, and if members contribute to improving the plan, the original poster can update the post to reflect those improvements.  Over time, the original post ** should ** transform into a useful guide for one or more of the young people in college today or starting their careers in industry.

An example I have in mind is the work done by two high school students to show that sublimation of dry ice can yield mechanical power to drive a generator, or as kbd512 has pointed out, pneumatic power tools.   This concept should (in my opinion) develop into a viable business plan for the Mars setting, given sufficient rigorous review and adjustment.

There are (probably) thousands of other potential business activities that would fit into a Mars infrastructure over time.

(th)

#18 2018-11-11 15:29:30

louis

I think that's a great idea.

I am very interested in this area, and I think it doesn't get enough attention.   I am someone who is v. optimistic about the scope of economic development on Mars. It's odd in a way that Space X haven't produced more on this front beyond a vague idea that people will pay to colonise the planet.

Other business plans might involve:

- Luxury watch (Rolex) assembly and re-export.

- Mars manufactured jewelry.

- Sale of regolith, meteorites and precious gems on Earth.

- Sale of scientific experimentation services.

- Provision of life support for Space Agency and University personnel.

-  A Mars TV Channel.

- Sponsorship opportunities.

-  Interactive opportunities (e.g. "Write your name on a Mars rock face")

-  There was the discussion about food production which made me think beef production might actually be economically feasible on Mars for instance.

Plenty more!

tahanson43206 wrote:
SpaceNut wrote:

Spacenut, in the post above you used the term I was searching for today: business plan

I'm using your post as an anchor for what I hope you will consider an idea worth considering ...

The forum software (FluxBB) has a feature which might lend itself to a greater permanence of content.  The Edit feature allows the creator of a post to update it. I've done that several times when feedback from members reveals opportunity for improvement of the original text.

Would you be at all interested in encouraging development of business plans for future Mars entrepreneurs?   The environment in this forum occasionally reminds me of "Shark Tank" without the promise of funding.

If someone were to start a topic about a particular business plan, and if members contribute to improving the plan, the original poster can update the post to reflect those improvements.  Over time, the original post ** should ** transform into a useful guide for one or more of the young people in college today or starting their careers in industry.

An example I have in mind is the work done by two high school students to show that sublimation of dry ice can yield mechanical power to drive a generator, or as kbd512 has pointed out, pneumatic power tools.   This concept should (in my opinion) develop into a viable business plan for the Mars setting, given sufficient rigorous review and adjustment.

There are (probably) thousands of other potential business activities that would fit into a Mars infrastructure over time.

(th)

#19 2018-11-11 17:00:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

tahanson43206 wrote:

You may have found the Corporate as well as the consortium as just 2 of such efforts to lay down thoughts of how to fund and what to make use of that we have in current production.

#20 2018-11-12 07:55:00

louis

Here's an interesting video by Neoscribe - who also, like me, thinks there is potential in a Mars TV channel as a big revenue generator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFqdGbaTNDM

I think he somewhat overlooks the possibilities of exclusive video. You could have a hierarchy of access.  Space X could produce:

1.  Free highlights for all news channels. (These could include sponsor material though, to maximise sponsorship funding).

2.  Exclusive video for news and documentary channels prepared to pay a charge. This would appeal to companies like Sky News, BBC News, and CBS etc. and also documentary makers like National Geographic, Netflix and Discovery Channel.

3.  Other exclusive and more extensive footage available only to the Mars TV channel, which then generates revenue through subscription TV.

4.  Additional video available on a dedicated website, which would attract advertising revenue.

Neoscribe makes a good point: Musk has 23 million followers on Twitter - that is a great data source for publicising a TV channel.

Also don't underestimate the power of the photo. A series of books on Mars - from big coffee table books to smaller paperbacks, and including children's books,  could generate 100s of millions of sales over a decade across the planet. There will be a big market for bona fide science books as well.

The total global book market is worth nearly $150 billion.  Over ten years that's $1500 billion.  I see no reason why Mars publishing shouldn't take somewhere between $5billion and $15 billion of that  - with a profit around $2 to $5 billion.  Mars will be a publishing phenomenon.

#21 2018-11-12 11:01:32

tahanson43206

SpaceNut wrote:
tahanson43206 wrote:

You may have found the Corporate as well as the consortium as just 2 of such efforts to lay down thoughts of how to fund and what to make use of that we have in current production.

For SpaceNut ...

Thank you for noting my inquiry, and for suggesting "consortium" as a search term. I'll follow up on that lead.

I'd like to be sure you are comfortable with what I am proposing ...

Based upon the US model, and assuming the US has a significant influence over the evolution of human activity on Mars, I am expecting that most activities will be carried out by contractors of various sizes, under the supervision of prime contractors.

Businesses will subsist on the spread between "free" energy and material provided by Nature, and the cost of securing and using those resources.

I am proposing that the FluxBB forum software Edit feature can be adapted to construction (over time) of viable business plans for some of the thousands of businesses which are likely to come into being in a Mars economy, if the Rule of Law and Free Markets are allowed to prevail.  The "normal" flow at present is for new messages to be created in threads based upon a starting topic.  What I'm suggesting (and hoping) is that the original post can be updated as comments come in, so that it becomes an increasingly valuable resource for future business builders. 

I'd like to know if you want to encourage this concept, or if you have doubts.

This very interaction will illustrate the kind of interaction I am hoping will take place as individuals publish the outlines of business plans, and then take in the positive and negative feedback which this forum is capable of providing.

For Louis: Thank you for your endorsement of the idea.  Please start building draft plans for the several concepts you have identified.  If SpaceNut gives the all-clear signal, you will be positioned to launch a fleet of proposals.  You have already demonstrated a remarkable durability of spirit under fire on this forum.

(th)

#22 2018-11-12 11:21:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

The trouble with Louis structure is that it takes place after the what we will go in is already built and on its way to mars which means upfront funding was done and there are hopes for the return on the investment which may or may not pay off.

Much like the funding louis put fore in this topic (which there are many more) we have been around these types of what some have labeled as gimics....

How about creating a topic list for a plan and put under each the forums topics links that apply to the subject area.

Human Business and flight plan for mars

Just creating an area to create a business plan for how we will not only get to mars but how it will be paid for.

Let it be in an outline format with links to the topics rather than discusion of each.

#23 2018-12-05 02:08:26

louis

Looks like another successful mission...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8uefUKj2dk

Successful MECO. Some interesting camera angles. No up close  live shots of Stage 1 landing on drone ship but you see it from distance.

Last edited by louis (2018-12-05 02:09:48)

#24 2018-12-05 18:48:30

louis

#25 2018-12-05 19:48:44

Oldfart1939

Louis-
The PRIMARY MISSION WAS SUCCESSFUL! Payload to ISS!

Board footer