New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and

You are not logged in.

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#76 2018-03-03 16:31:04

Re: Mars Cart

I like that, and I am not trying to do a topper here. 

3D printed motor: (So, two ways)

#77 2018-03-03 17:13:52

Great video.  I've noted before that electric motors are relatively simple and could be produced by an early colony largely from ISRU materials.  45 Kws is pretty powerful - enough to run a car I think!

SpaceNut wrote:

This is how one might make a motor or generator from insitu materials 45Kw DC Brushless motor construction

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars

#78 2018-03-03 17:18:15

Some interesting concepts here.  Tracked vehicles are less likely to get stuck in soft terrain than wheeled vehicles.  But they are heavier and less energy efficient.

I wonder if a hybrid electric vehicle could be a good option for Mars.  A short range 40km battery, which can be charged with roll-out solar panels.  An IC engine mounted to a generator for when greater speed and power are needed or when traveling close to the poles.  Wheels could be some kind of fibre reinforced polymer.

#79 2018-03-04 04:34:01

For Mars service an IC engine isn't likely to work. You have to carry oxidant as well as fuel. Atmospheric CO2 could be used but you need a fuel that won't coke your engine up. Better to use a Sterling or Brayton engine (external combustion) if you want to use the CO2 as an oxidiser, as a coked up heat exchanger is relatively easily switched and/or cleaned.
I posted elsewhere about self heated tires by filling them or compounding them with radioactive elements. I prefer the filling option because it is renewable and can be adjusted for different missions. An alpha or beta emitter might be best to restrict penetration of the particles, and it would need to be a volatile compound so that a puncture or leak would dissipate rather than create a concentration of your radioisotope. I still prefer tracks if they can be done, though.

Board footer