New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#76 2016-08-31 21:14:49

Void

Re: Magnetizing Mars - Creation of a Martian Magnetosphere

Interesting about what that comet did.
I am happy that human understanding may be getting to a diagnosis of what is real about Mars in the regard to atmospheric losses.

I should think that if there were to be a solar civilization, then the investment in Mars will be worth it, as it's value should go up and up, as such a civilization progresses.

#77 2016-09-12 20:15:34

Void

http://www.space.com/34040-interstellar … phere.html

Thought you might be interested in this, in relation to the topic.

#78 2017-10-23 20:37:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Solar Wind Creates Electric Charge on Martian Moon Phobos

A new NASA study shows that solar wind — the stream of electrically charged particles that the sun blows out into space — creates a complex electrical environment on Phobos, which could possibly affect astronauts and any scientific equipment brought to the irregularly shaped moon in future missions.

the flow of the solar wind around Phobos, revealing that the buildup of static charge on the nightside and in shadowed regions can reach 10,000 volts in some materials, such as the Teflon

I am wondering if we can harness the charge that is built up on the moons of mars via the solar winds...it just might give us a way to create a belt around the planet to ward of the lose rate of mars atmosphere by circling the planet at the moons distance with nuclear power rf transmitters such that a field is slowly built up.

#79 2017-10-24 01:31:07

louis

I would have thought the quickest approach was to use solar power satellites. The Earth now has orbiting over 2000 satellites and tens of thousands of smaller objects.   

I would have thought that using solar power we could use a network of smaller satellites to generate an electro magnetic sphere around Mars. Of course the amount of energy required to create an Earth-like magnetosphere would be way beyond our capability...but I am presuming the amount of energy required simply to construct a very thin non-pervasive magnetosphere would be far, far less  and potentially doable with solar powered satellites.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#80 2017-10-24 17:15:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

The satelite question is one of stationary or fast orbit as the field would want to move with the rotation of them and the planet to help with the setting up of the field.

#81 2017-11-27 00:10:14

Lake Matthew Team - Cole
Website

We've performed initial modeling of a local artificial geomagnetic field, scaled for a crewed facility on Mars.  The field covers a crater 9 km in diameter and blocks cosmic ray protons to 1 GeV.  Power requirement is under 80 kW.

This is the "Omaha Field", one component of the greater "Omaha Shield" proposal.

See:  Omaha Shield: radiation protection systems for Unlimited Mars Career

#82 2017-11-27 01:55:52

louis

That's brilliant! smile  Presumably if you can do it over a large 9 Km diameter area, you could do something proportional over a much smaller early base.

Lake Matthew Team - Cole wrote:

We've performed initial modeling of a local artificial geomagnetic field, scaled for a crewed facility on Mars.  The field covers a crater 9 km in diameter and blocks cosmic ray protons to 1 GeV.  Power requirement is under 80 kW.

This is the "Omaha Field", one component of the greater "Omaha Shield" proposal.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#83 2017-11-27 10:49:38

Lake Matthew Team - Cole
Website

louis wrote:

That's brilliant! smile  Presumably if you can do it over a large 9 Km diameter area, you could do something proportional over a much smaller early base.

Lake Matthew Team - Cole wrote:

Sure, you could.  You'd change horizontal scale by adjusting cable length.  The critical dimension is vertical; i.e., vertical spacing between cables.  1.5 km gives shielding to 1 GeV, and shielding drops ~100 MeV per each 100 m cut in spacing.

Last edited by Lake Matthew Team - Cole (2017-11-27 10:50:13)

#84 2017-11-27 18:41:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

I see you have found one of the old topics on the subject of megosphere creation, that said I have added the others in my post in your new topic.
Also links to superconducting power cables.
Will continue there....

Board footer