New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2017-04-24 17:40:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Should, Shouldn't, Couldn't...What we need to make on Mars...

I could see using engines in the future under a dome as the compressed gasses would be easier to recover other wise I would think that we would try to recycle the exhaust live as its consumed though this would require extra power to pull off but then it would have unlimited distance of use.

#52 2017-04-25 03:04:57

elderflower

Unfortunately, unless we put the analogue unit into orbit, we can't also simulate Mars gravity. I do think a Mars gravity simulation satellite should be orbited as soon as possible so that medical observations can be made.

#53 2017-04-25 04:14:11

RobertDyck
Website

elderflower wrote:

Unfortunately, unless we put the analogue unit into orbit, we can't also simulate Mars gravity. I do think a Mars gravity simulation satellite should be orbited as soon as possible so that medical observations can be made.

The Centrifuge Accommodation Module was a major science module for ISS. It was to be a module the size of Discovery, the US science module. The module would hold a centrifuge the full diameter of a full-size module of ISS. This isn't large enough for a human, but is large enough for laboratory mice, or other small laboratory animals. It was intended to perform experiments at acceleration equal to Mars gravity and Lunar gravity. When the US first cancelled this module, Italy agreed to pay for it, and Japan built it. The module with its centrifuge was sitting in staging at KSC waiting for the Shuttle to launch it. However, when President Obama cancelled Shuttle, this module was cancelled. It was fully complete, awaiting launch, but was just never launched. I spoke with one individual working at JSC who told me they were trying to convince President Obama to authorize just one more Shuttle launch for this module. There was one external tank left, they could have done it, but President Obama did not allow it.

For a while I tried to argue to use the Russia space shuttle Ptichka to launch this module. But to make a long story short, that orbiter is no longer in flight condition. After the Cygnus cargo ship successfully launched to ISS, I suggested using a service module of Cygnus to do it. No Pressurized Cargo Module, instead the service module would deliver the Centrifuge Accommodation Module. The Station's arm would grab it, as it currently does with Cygnus, then berth it to a CBM port.

#54 2017-04-25 04:17:53

louis

I think the best we can do in terms of Mars gravity is have a simulation on the moon with people wearing weighted suits.

elderflower wrote:

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#55 2017-04-25 05:56:37

elderflower

Better to launch the Japanese device that Robert has identified and study the lab rats than to do nothing. I think the moon is a distraction and shouldn't be pursued until we are established on Mars, with its much better potential for life support.
I see that the Russians have reduced the number of cosmonauts on the station, so there must be space for a biologist.
Could it be launched by a Falcon 9, Robert? That wouldn't be all that expensive.
By the way, what time is it in Winnipeg? I reckon you started a bit early this morning.

Last edited by elderflower (2017-04-25 06:01:10)

#56 2023-08-26 05:53:06

Mars_B4_Moon

Norway to spend $6 million a year stock-piling grain, citing pandemic, war and climate change

https://apnews.com/article/norway-emerg … 1758efed40

Board footer