New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#1 2017-01-07 18:15:37

Void

Hyperloop, Earth/Mars

I think a post for this is reasonable.  Anything happening on Earth for Hyperloop could be reviewed for it's potential utility on Mars.

I believe Elon Musk has indicated that it could operate in the open Martian air without a tube.

I personally am looking at the icy deposits of Utopia Planetia, and other such places, and ultimately the polar ice deposit's and thinking why not tubes through the ice?

Last edited by Void (2017-01-07 18:19:19)

#2 2017-01-07 18:20:30

Void

Re: Hyperloop, Earth/Mars

Here is an Earth based article.

http://phys.org/news/2017-01-cities-vie … -rail.html
Quote:

Hyperloop One says the system offers better safety than passenger jets, lower build and maintenance costs than high-speed trains, and energy usage, per person, that is similar to a bicycle.

Utopia Planetia:
http://mars.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/ … nitia-mars
subsurface-water-ice-utopia-planitia-mars-map-pia21138-br2.jpg

Location of Large Subsurface Water-Ice Deposit in Utopia Planitia, Mars
Diagonal striping on this map of a portion of the Utopia Planitia region on Mars indicates the area where a large subsurface deposit rich in water ice was assessed using the Shallow Radar (SHARAD) instrument on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

The area is about halfway between the planet's equator and north pole, and the deposit is estimated to hold about as much water as what is in Lake Superior, largest of the Great Lakes.

The scale bar at lower right indicates 140 kilometers (76 miles). The violet vertical bars show depth to the bottom of the ice-rich deposit, as estimated from SHARAD passes overhead. Darkest violet indicates a depth of about 550 feet (about 170 meters). Palest violet indicates a depth of about 33 feet (10 meters).

So, a bit different than for Earth, I suggest that on Mars the Hyperloop be in underground tubes at a shallower debth, and elevators could connect it to a pressurized tunnel system further down.  Exactly what buildings, subsurface parks, and underground factory facilities would be connected would be worked out.  A Martian city ~the size of New Mexico.  And if water ran low in a century or so, by then the polar ice caps could be tapped to bring replacement water.

That's a nice map, if nothing else.

I guess now that I think about it, in some locations of concentrated activity, just a regular subway system would do.  That could be connected up to the hyperloop system.

Last edited by Void (2017-01-07 18:35:54)

#3 2017-01-07 21:42:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Hyperloop, Earth/Mars

Hyperloop= a Train in a tunnel, which could be above ground or below....
I can see below ground tunnels being used by lots of transportational methods, initally possibly bikes until electric motors are more available...or fill it with a little water and float you way down the tunnel in a row boat ect...

Board footer