New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2015-12-31 21:29:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

Potato

You can slice them and dice them, crinkle and smash, boil and fry them as a potato makes a meal....

We could have potato pancakes, breads with the crop that we can grow....

http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/potatoes/Pot … opment.pdf

http://www.westernagresearch.com/docs/T … tatoes.pdf

watch your garden grow page on potato

Early

Irish Cobbler (light brown skin; often irregularly shaped)
Norland (red skin, smooth, resistant to scab)

Midseason

Red Pontiac (red skin, deep eyes)
Viking (red skin, very productive)

Late

Katahdin (light brown skin; smooth; resistant to some viruses, verticillium, bacterial wilts)
Kennebec (light brown skin, smooth; resistant to some viruses, late blight)

And lots more varieties that we can bring....

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/potatoextension … oFeb20.pdf

#2 2016-01-01 13:05:50

Terraformer
Website

Re: Potato

Though we'll need some ketchup to go with them...

Potatoes and tomatoes are, I think, among the basic crops that we should be growing. Not just so we can have chips with ketchup.

I'd like to start developing a decent potato flour. Perhaps blended with corn flour? Not potato flour as it's presently done, which seems to be simply ground potato. Maybe just skinning them and drying out the starch, and then blending that with other flours to get something that can be used in place of regular flours (though obviously with some modification to the recipe).

The big problem I see with potatoes, though, is that they only have 700 kcal/kg. That's a lot of potato that needs to be eaten in order to get the calories you need, even if it's only half your diet. Hence my interest in getting rid of the water, and making a flour that could be used in other ways.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#3 2016-01-01 23:15:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

I have not heard of hydroponicly grown potato but maybe the ISS can help with some experiments with them.

#4 2016-01-01 23:40:01

Void

Terraformer, you are a decent dude?  Well in any case a decent person.  Thanks for the memories.

Done.

#5 2016-01-02 05:58:58

Terraformer
Website

Gnocchi can be made from potato, and used as an alternative to pasta. So we need eggs as well.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

Board footer