New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#126 2024-01-17 11:47:35

Void

Re: Peter Zeihan again:

I am only able to comment to say that I believe that most countries with Mongol heritage has more binding force than do Roman descended cultures.  At least a different type of binding force.

I think that the actions of the "West" to emphasize Roman historical heritage, is simply encouraging the binding force of the Mongol descended.  You can see that if you add Russia, China and Iran, into some type of agenda, then Central Asia, is automatically included.

The contempt of Northern peoples exhibited by NATO and even the USA, probably Canada, only alienates them.

But the Nordics do have some method to stay out of the power of Russia using NATO.

But overall, I see the Northern peoples rising in power, and the southern peoples lapsing into degeneracy.  But these are very long trends, possibly as long as 512 years in a trend.

I have never liked the definition of the "West" being historical Rome and Greece.  In reality the rebirth of representative government occurred when Atlantic Costal Europeans bumped into the peoples of the Americas and also Asia.  Who in general are northern peoples.

Peter Zeihan has no choice, I feel but to do some kissing up to the Washington establishment which I feel is out of balance in valuing Latin and African Heritages above those of the Northern peoples.  This is not a call to any action; I believe that these matters correct themselves over time naturally.  The degeneracy of the established rulers is obvious and that will have its payday no matter what anyone does, other then to somehow repent.

But Peter Zeihan has interesting ideas and information.  Here is an interesting video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HIUI0nnP78

I am interested that he says that major oil companies are trying to double productivity of wells.  I may be wrong, but I have gotten the notion that the USA has 100 years or so of Shale Oil.  Also of interest is the Inflation Reduction thing which apparently does promote more solar and wind in expanded areas.

If you are wondering about my negative comments earlier in this post, we do not want democracy.  That leads to a patronage system and eventually the attempt to have an emperor, and then the unbinding of our union.  The binding force comes from the North.

What we do want it a representative republic, which is what our nation was founded as.  Strangely enough coming from a Northern person, I am very interested in states' rights in our collections of representative republics which is also in itself a federal representative republic.

I think I avoided getting in trouble.  I hope so.

God bless America!

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-17 12:19:04)

Done.

#127 2024-01-17 13:55:59

RobertDyck
Website

Void: I disagree. Russia is not of Mongolian heritage. Russian people are of European descent. They are eastern European. Like all countries, they have a mix of ethnic influences. In the early years of Russia they had groups of people from Asia. Yes, that included people from Mongolia. It also included people from China. People in Siberia have lived there since long before Russia. But Mongolian heritage? No.

Rome conquered Gaul, but never farther east. They did conquer area of modern day Germany and Romania, but nothing farther east. So although Russia doesn't have Roman heritage, it is European.

The issue is not any form of condescension. The issue is Russia invaded Ukraine. Putin has said publicly that he considers the breakup of the Soviet Union the greatest tragedy of the 20th century. Russian generals have stated their intent to take all of the Black Sea coast. Putin said he considers Odessa to be a Russian city. Several officials in Russia have openly spoken of taking the Baltic States next, or Poland. Peter Zeihan's claim that officials in the Russian government want the Alps Carpathian & Sudeten mountain ranges, Black Sea, and Baltic Sea to be their border to create a more easily defendable border makes sense. This still means they intend to take European countries by military force. After WW1 & 2, Europe has said they cannot allow any territory in Europe to be taken by military force. This has to stop. And because 5 of the 6 countries Russia intends to take after Ukraine are full NATO members, this means total war. The only way to prevent nuclear war is to stop Russia here, to ensure he cannot take Ukraine.

Many people in the US have talked as if letting Russia keep what it currently occupies will stop the war. But Putin and Russian generals have explicitly stated it won't. Furthermore past actions of Russia have demonstrated what they will do. Russia signed a ceasefire with Chechnya in 1997. In year 2000 they invaded again, and completely annexed Chechnya. This time they won't wait 3 years, it would only be months. 90% of Russian soldiers of the initial invasion of February 2022 are now either dead or permanently injured so they cannot fight. They have been replaced with new recruits. Those recruits have received at most 1 month training. That's why they're so ineffective. If there's a ceasefire, Russia will train those recruits and manufacture more ammunition. Then they come back stronger. We can't let that happen. Russia must see they gain nothing from this invasion. That's the only way of preventing further war.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2024-01-17 16:07:19)

#128 2024-01-17 15:12:02

Calliban

Robert is correct.  Appeasement would be as ineffectual now as it was in 1938.  The parralels between Germany then and Russia now are significant.  Both 2020 Russia and 1930 Weimar Germany, had poorly defencable borders, flat lands and a post-imperial itch to get back the lands they lost.  The Russians will only back down if they are forced to acknowledge that victory is impossible for them.  No one wants to see Russian young men die by the million.  But this cannot stop until the Russians withdraw altogether.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#129 2024-01-17 20:06:13

Void

You have a right to disagree, I don't claim to know, I have notions that I support as probable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_Empire
Image Quote: th?id=OSK.HEROULujGNBCsQ2xeufIWN-2kJHHLP38JlcYIC1vzTCBkF8&w=312&h=200&c=15&rs=2&o=6&dpr=1.3&pid=SANGAM
European or not so much, if you get Russia, Iran, China, and North Korea aligned with each other it is rather like the Mongol Empire, but that did not go to the Arctic of course.

I have not given a prescription for Ukraine.  It is simply sad.  I don't want Russia to win too much but I don't think Russia is going to loose. this one.

But the Nordics are likely to pull free, which is a win.

Good luck with your patriotic aims.  I just feel that this did not have to happen.

It was only because a certain set of people could not understand that the bone that the other dog had was just a reflection in the water.
It is the mirror problem.  Not being willing to have a piece of the pie but insisting on having the whole pie only for themselves.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-17 20:12:15)

Done.

#130 2024-01-19 11:44:15

Void

I will perhaps comment to this later as per humanoid robots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCv8zq9wurw
Quote:

Europe's Border Tension | Peter Zeihan

Economy And Geopolitics

Done

OK, this then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHGqvR4W3MU
Quote:

Tesla's Optimus $25 TRILLION Opportunity

Dr. Know-it-all Knows it all
73.4K subscribers

Elon Musk has agreed that as soon as the 2040s we could be looking at 1 billion robots doing productive work--and this changes everything!

I think that the deflation that this would produce would help lower income people and would stimulate spending.

As for taxation, I suppose a robot tax to some extent.

But I think there should be a measurement called Hourpay.  This would be taxed, on the basis of the amount of  Hourpay an individual takes up.  The purpose of this would be to keep the overachievers from soaking up too much of the labor time and pay available.  This would leave more for other people, and the hope would be that with an income people would spend.

Then with the cost of consumer goods being lower, the people may indeed choose to have children.

Done

But there may be a need for a welfare for those who won't or cannot work and earn money.  We have that now.  Elon Musk has suggested a guaranteed income anyway.  That could be associate with parenting children as a form of benefit credit.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-19 13:53:40)

Done.

#131 2024-02-19 16:58:40

Void

I ran into this today It is not Peter Zeihan, but I don't want to clog up other topics that other people are working in at this time:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzmf_SLrTIs
Quote:

Uncovering The Rise of Woke Islamism with James Lindsay | The Winston Marshall Show #005

Winston Marshall
10.8K subscribers

I am not for or against what is said, but want to know what direction thinking is going.

I am very against fascism and our left which I believe is simply fascism wearing a costume.  I do not favor woke at all.

Something that may be coincidence is that the speaker mentions VOLK as in Volkswagon (The Hitler Car), and I guess that is German for folk.

I should always warry of people who spout anticolonial agenda.  I see the colonial era, and the times before it as similar to a geological process.  Whenever a people advance beyond the average capabilities of the world population, they tend to spread around.  The Arabs, did at one time, the Mongols did at one time.

The moral of that story is don't be lazy and incompetent or Darwin's rules may apply to you.

The world actually had a geometry before, and now because of the laws of nature it has a newer geometry.

Frankly for some recent powers the destruction of the European Empires was convenient.  It was true for the Soviet Union (Which was the Russian Empire in disguise), and also for the American Republic/?

At one point during the Civil War, the USA had an arrangement with the Russians, as the French and British Empires were a very large danger to both.

I will say that I think that we need be careful when we try to modify old cultures.  The path from Autocracy to Representative Government, becoming perhaps said Democracy, can lead to Fascism, of the WWII Italian, German, USSR kinds.  (And others).

The people of the Middle East may be the very worst, as their cultures are from way back.

That is my fear, not a certainty.

But if you look at the America's and the broken pieces of the USSR, all of them flirt with representative government.  They are gradually coming around actually.  Alienating the Russians was probably a very stupid move.  Extremely stupid.

And by the way, I think that the Democratic Party has been infiltrated by Fascist powers.

I like Peter Zeihan, but I don't think he will be entirely correct about China and Russia.  I think some reformations of those societies are possible and they may not be laid to waste permanently.

My geometry of reality says Slovs/Latins, and Chin/Africa.  Only as a periodic reversal of the flow of reality.

But maybe I need to learn new things.  We shall see.

Done

I suspect a 1024 year cycle with a 512 year sub cycle, but I won't be here to find out and I bet you won't be either.  smile  Hold the reprimands for 1024 years please.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-02-19 17:20:37)

Done.

#132 2024-02-20 04:23:26

Mars_B4_Moon

He's too tiresome and annoying and angst teen-like to listen to now calling Elon Musk all kinds of names. He is becoming more emotional and less relevant, maybe he got a scoop one time, he hung out with all kinds of people likes the cultures and homosexual gay bars and claims to have insight, he did collect info perhaps a M i 6 ish Mossad FBI Ex-KGB CIA clown gave him some data, gave him a bunch of graphs at a bar. Some points are still ok-ish, but its hard to see the future so over time the errors get bigger and bigger.  George Friedman, Zeihan's former boss, predicted a US-Japan conflict with Japanese joining the Turks, he thought Chinese would de-evolve and China fight among itself and go back to primitive conflict like parts of Africa and failed to predict the fall of the Soviet Union.

Zeihan instead of addressing what he is getting wrong and revising his forecast is instead getting super teenager emotional and now throwing temper tantrums, says he is quittting twitter or x and never coming back. Calls Elon Musk a Nazi, a Racist, a Sexist, a Homophobia, a Communist, a Russian Stooge, a White Supremacist, a Hitler lover and just about every libel slur you can imagine.

https://archive.fo/Joazv

While it is not uncommon for experts to make incorrect predictions, Zeihan’s response to criticism has drawn significant attention. By dismissing his critics as bots and Russian propagandists, Zeihan has only fueled the fire, further dividing opinion on his credibility.

and a few weeks later, he lies returns to twitter and is asking people to buy his books again.

#133 2024-02-20 08:07:25

Void

I am OK with him as a person.  We all have to have a personhood.  Quirks can be OK.

I feel that his techniques go pretty far, but his projections often do not include enough uncertainty.  I get it, he is selling entertainment as well as analysis.

I read one time "A wise man recalls the past; he does not tell the future".

I think that one problem most people have is identifying the center of reality.

Some might think that the center of our planet is in its core.  China has at times considered itself to be the center.  Some people have considered the Middle East the Center.  The Middle Easterners used that as a method to claim wealth by taxing spices, that caused the Europeans to connect with their ethnic compliment, and so they boiled out of Europe.

The British have been obsessed with the notion that Russia with Central Asia could create a Moriarty entity that would oppose their Shurlock Holms entity.  Sadly, I think our policy towards that region has too much been shadowed by that notion.

Most people cannot seem to imagine the shell of spheres surface, so they alter it to be a flat map with a center of their choosing.

But if you have Spacial relations intelligence, you know that the surface of a sphere has no center or is all centers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_relation

Any point on the surface of a sphere is surrounded by the rest of the surface of a sphere.  As people live on the surface of a sphere, we are all at the center of it in some way.  We all have an ethnographic polar opposite.  I think mine is somewhere in India.

So, if I take the idea that water transport is the most efficient on the surface of the sphere, then Central Asia is not a magic place to build an empire.  In fact, they have to use roads and railroads that are expensive.

So, Peter Zeihan has it rather right on the Interior water transport of North America being important.  So, I don't want to put him down, I just don't think he has factored all things into his estimates.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-02-20 08:26:15)

Done.

#134 2024-04-11 09:53:48

Void

This is fun.  Not Peter Zeihan, but demographics: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smallbu … e74a&ei=22
Quote:

Gen Z Is Toxic for Companies, Employers Believe
Story by Suzanne Blake • 2w • 4 min read

I follow "The Fourth Turning" to some extent.

Z, I think is to be the "Artist" Generation.

OK, confirmation: https://www.freedomlab.com/posts/gen-z- … onal-cycle

Quote:

According to Strauss and Howe, Gen Z is the “Artist” generation. The Artist is one of four archetypical generations – all corresponding to being born during one of the four turnings.

I hope I can live long enough to watch what they will do.  If like the previous Artist generation, they will quietly struggle to get rid of the rigid social controls of the Millennials and X's.

They will set the stage for the next Prophets which I don't believe I will live to see grow up.  However, I think that I am a bit mystified about what controls they will deal with.  Perhaps the repeal of monetization of human sexuality will be on their agenda.  But maybe I will be surprised.  That's OK, it may be entertaining.  What they do, though, they will likely do in the shadows.

We Prophets may be amused.  X, and Millennials, are likely to react with more efforts to control, and Z may rebel quietly in the shadows even more.  Setting the stage for the Prophets to come, to replace the Baby Boomers.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-04-11 10:25:50)

Done.

#135 2024-04-19 18:25:52

Void

This is not Peter Zeihan, but really an source of information I have never heard of before:

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r … &FORM=VIRE

Done.

#136 2024-04-19 18:27:57

Void

This is not Peter Zeihan, but really an source of information I have never heard of before:

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r … &FORM=VIRE

Quote:

Dwarkesh Patel, Sarah C. M. Paine - WW2, Taiwan, Ukraine, & Maritime vs Contenental power

Done

Done.

Board footer