New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2013-12-11 21:22:28

JoshNH4H
Website

3D Printers

I'm considering buying a 3D printer.  Does anyone have suggestions regarding which one to buy?  I'm looking for one that is as cheap as possible, but ideally one that could actually be counted on to work well once put together.

-Josh

#2 2013-12-11 22:38:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: 3D Printers

The computer and software also is equally important when considering this as some programs are more expensive and provide other features within them for doing this type of work.

#3 2013-12-11 23:03:36

JoshNH4H
Website

Well, I have access to Creo (And probably SolidWorks) through the university, or can use any of the free packages.  I have a moderate proficiency in CAD.  I'm just not sure which hardware I would want to use.

-Josh

#4 2013-12-12 05:39:03

Terraformer
Website

Why buy when you can make? You can get kit forms of the RepRap. I intend to buy one at some point.

Unless you want to print in something other than plastic? It costs about $1.5k to make a basic metal printer. I don't know about clay or chocolate, but those will be a lot closer to the $300 RepRap price tag I would think.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#5 2013-12-12 10:01:13

JoshNH4H
Website

Because you still have to buy the kit?  All of the cheaper 3D printers are DIY assembly.  That doesn't change the need to select a model.

-Josh

#6 2019-12-09 11:32:06

tahanson43206

To the question: Has anyone developed a nanoscale 3D Printer, Google replied with an encouraging list of articles.

The one I'd like to highlight in this post is dated October 7, 2019

The exact search string I used was: "nanoscale 3d printing"

At the right of the results top page is a set of images which may be of interest to those interested in Mars settlement.

Using a new time-based method to control light from an ultra-fast laser, researchers have developed a nanoscale 3D printing technique that can fabricate tiny structures a thousand times faster than conventional two-photon lithography (TPL) techniques, without sacrificing resolution.Oct 7, 2019
Nanoscale 3D printing technique is 1,000 times faster
https://www.futuretimeline.net › blog › 2019/10 › 7.htm

The reason this advance in capability is of interest to me is that it would be preferable for Mars settlers to be independent of the Earth for supply of electronic systems to run computers of all sizes.  There is no need to insist upon the level of miniaturization demanded by the economic forces at work on Earth. Far more important will be the ability of the settlers to program a Nanoscale 3D printer to fabricate chips or circuit boards capable of the functions required, regardless of their physical dimensions.  That said, the images shown on the results page suggest (to me at least) that the fabrication scale will be quite respectable, as compared to (for example) 1960's technology on Earth, which was sufficient to land on the Moon.

(th)

Board footer