New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2011-12-13 04:24:56

karov

Continent building via Desalination of the Ocean

Hi all,

See: http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/12/desalt … gfuture%29

So, approx. 30-40 million km3 of halite ( salt rock ) of average 1.5 tonnes per m3 of density.

More than enough to build another Eurasia of prime real estate / land / in ( say ) the Pasific.

Move the ocean bottom on top, properly insulate the halite from the water, sculpture during construction the best possible terrain ( predominantly flat and low ) and coast line ( highly fractal with lots of bays, capes and nearby islands ) and thus using available substance "terraform" huge patch of the Earth's surface.

#2 2011-12-16 15:40:20

JoshNH4H
Website

Re: Continent building via Desalination of the Ocean

I can't help but wonder what effect this kind of planetary engineering would have on the earth's ecosystem...

-Josh

#3 2011-12-21 11:36:41

karov

Re: Continent building via Desalination of the Ocean

As designed I recon.
I think that the ecosystem notion is in a large degree a myth.
The present day conditions on the Earth's surface are far from optimal both in space and time.
Most points of the Earth's solid surface are suboptimal or directly uninhabitable.
Yes, an ecosystem is quite a complex thing, but this situation puts the ecosystem management not in the field of the intractable, but in the field of the Big Data Tasks.

Board footer