New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-06-16 23:01:11

Lone--Wolfe
Banned

Re: Magnetic Rifle? - Earth Based Rail Gun...?

Would it be possible for us to construct a massive tube reaching up through the atmosphere, have the air pumped out, and use a series of magnets to send the shuttle into space without the lost cost of fuel. The power could be used to send it at specific speeds to different spots. Do any of you think that this is a possible alternative to standard rockets?

#2 2003-06-16 23:40:59

Echus_Chasma
Website

I would say that it would be possible, but not anytime very soon.

http://www.islandone.org/APC/Catapults/02.html
http://www.aeiveos.com/~bradbury/Matrio … ivers.html

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#3 2003-06-17 01:52:13

Free Spirit
Banned

Considering how much air you'd have to pump out, it would probably be easier just to build a space elevator.  After all if you can build structures tall enough to escape the atmosphere and sustain a vaccuum that large you probably have materials capable of supporting an se.

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#4 2003-06-18 18:09:35

Lone--Wolfe
Banned

i guess not anytime soon, duh. (jk) i was thinking about that self sustained vacuum before, but then again, thats thousands of feet. but once we get there, a  cost effective suggestion, no?

#5 2003-06-18 22:19:02

Free Spirit
Banned

If you wanted to build something like that it seems you'd probably want to build the tube on top of an extremely high tower to reduce the need to pump out so much air.  I think it could ultimately be cheap since it's a lot cheaper to lift something using electricity rather than propellants.  According to the book Mining the Sky by John Lewis, it would cost about $40 for the electricity to lift a 165 pound person to orbit if you could utilize raw electricity for the task and not use propellants (this doesn't include things like the price of the ship, upkeep, etc.)

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#6 2003-06-19 09:41:39

nirgal
Banned

Build it on the airless moon! On Earth space elevators are a better idea.

Board footer