New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#201 2024-10-06 20:49:32

tahanson43206

Re: Google Meet Collaboration - Meetings Plus Followup Discussion

For kbd512....

If the problems we've encountered so far are the ** only ** problems in this situation, I would count us as lucky!

There is apparently a way to create a little php script that will exercise the password creation feature.

An alternative is to activate the login feature, and create a new user to become an Admin.

The password hash feature should create a new password hash for that user. If you can log in, then we are 99% of the way home.  You can upgrade that user to full Admin, and reset the password for the Mods. Each of us can then log in using the temporary password, and we should then be able to set our own password.  This would be a useful exercise.

We have so few active members right now that (I am hoping) no one will object to going through a password reset process in order to gain use of the new software.

Follow up.... since you will need to update the database directly to enable registrations, would you like me to research that, or do you already know what to do?

Update a bit later .... in study of phpBB3, I've taken a look at manager.php.

It appears to contain code that deals with passwords, but at this point I don't understand what's going on.

All I know for sure is that in phpBB3 (latest version) there is no salt field in the database. Apparently that was discarded some time ago.

(th)

#202 2024-10-07 20:02:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sorry about the meeting as I had fallen asleep.

Password hash is part of the user table backup

#203 2024-10-07 20:10:56

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... after the long week you've just experienced, you're entitled to that little bit of extra rest!  Plus, I'm guessing you put in a full day at work trying to catch up on the week away.

As a reminder, GW Johnson is out of town so we won't be hearing from him for a day or so.

I ** just ** put up a new Python program and if your computer is still running after the recent repairs, I'm hoping you might be able to download the program and run it. I ** think ** you already had Python installed, but if not it should install on your Windows machine.

(th)

#204 2024-10-13 08:33:57

tahanson43206

Today's planned Google Meeting is on schedule.

The Waiting room will open a few minutes before midnight UTC.

Topics may include the ongoing installation of FluxBB 1.5.12 on the Mars Society servers, and recent discussion of Aldrin Cyclers and related Solar System bodies of various sizes.

(th)

#205 2024-10-13 17:57:12

tahanson43206

The Waiting Room is open at 23:55

The video recommended by OldFart1939 is well worth watching.

The explosion at the Starship landing site is a nice conclusion to the entire sequence.

Update ...

We set a new record for participation this evening:
SpaceNut
kbd512
GW Johnson

We watched part of the Manley video of the Starship flight, and then looked at images of early designs for what later became the Space Shuttle.

Post meeting summary:

Thanks again to everyone who stopped by.  I thought this was another interesting meeting, with a wide range of discussion, ending with a deep dive into manganese enhanced steel. That steel was discovered/developed in 1882 (according to Wikipedia) and it remains a very useful alloy to this day.

(th)

Board footer