New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-04-19 15:04:48

tahanson43206

GMAT NASA General Mission Analysis Tool

This topic is offered for those who might wish to report their experiences with GMAT.

Documentation: https://gmat.sourceforge.net/docs/R2020a/help.html

(th)

#2 2023-04-19 15:06:03

tahanson43206

Re: GMAT NASA General Mission Analysis Tool

The transcript below covers MATLAB and issues with Python version for GMAT startup.

hello again!
Hello! How can I assist you today?

Today I'm hoping you can help me with the NASA GMAT program. I know you have some familiarity with the program. The first question is ... GMAT uses MATLAB. I do not have a license but could secure one for a fee. Will GMAT perform any operations without MATLAB? What are the limitations that will occur if MATLAB is not present?

Yes, I'm familiar with the GMAT program, and I'd be happy to help you with your question.
GMAT does require MATLAB to be installed on your computer in order to run some of its functionalities. However, GMAT also has built-in scripting capabilities that allow you to perform some operations without needing MATLAB. So, while MATLAB is not strictly necessary to use GMAT, it is highly recommended to have a MATLAB license in order to take advantage of all the features that GMAT offers.

The limitations of not having MATLAB installed when using GMAT will depend on the specific operations you are trying to perform. If you are using GMAT's built-in scripting capabilities, you can still perform some operations without MATLAB. However, if you want to use some of the more advanced features, such as MATLAB functions or external MATLAB code, then you will need to have a MATLAB license.
In summary, while GMAT can be used without MATLAB to a certain extent, having a MATLAB license will allow you to take full advantage of GMAT's capabilities.
<snip due to Apache Internal error>

Thank you for your assistance! I'll try installing Python 3.9 per your suggestion. Catch you next time.
You're welcome! Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns. Good luck with the installation!

(th)

#3 2023-04-19 15:07:57

tahanson43206

Re: GMAT NASA General Mission Analysis Tool

This is a follow up to Post #2 due to Apache Internal Error

It appears that Python 3.9 must be installed to match the existing version of GMAT, even though Python 3.10 is installed by default in the current version of Ubuntu.

(th)

Board footer