New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2022-11-16 08:52:24

tahanson43206

Terraformer Postings

Terraformer is Member 2811

Last post: Today 10:28:50

The post at the link below is an example of calm analysis that is a characteristic of posts by Terraformer:

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 13#p203213

This topic is available for any member to highlight a post they particularly appreciate.

(th)

#2 2023-01-25 14:41:17

tahanson43206

Re: Terraformer Postings

Here is another "very good idea" by Terraformer .... this came from the Thermal Energy Storage topic ...

Terraformer wrote:

Hmm. Perhaps thermal storage would reduce the size requirements for heat pumps, if they operate continuously whilst heat demand is discontinuous? I.e. people only having the heating on for six hours in the evening could allow a significantly smaller ground loop if for the other 18 hours the heat is being banked.

(th)

#3 2023-06-19 13:57:04

tahanson43206

Here is another noteworthy idea from Terraformer ...

For personal vehicles, how much range is actually needed under its own power? For long distance travel, there's no reason a train can't be used to ferry them. Or even medium.

I have long thought that the basic idea, of carrying one's personal transport vehicle along during travel, makes a lot of sense.  Wealthy folks have been doing that for millennia ... In the modern age, it is within the realm of possibility for an Uber-like company to offer an automated vehicle transport service.  I would use that if it were available, so as to reduce wear-and-tear on my personal vehicle, while enjoying the convenience of having that vehicle for use at the destination.

This idea might earn a topic of it's own, if a member so decides.

(th)

#4 2023-06-19 14:30:32

tahanson43206

I'm not sure who responded to my question about aluminum for trolley lines ...

It might have been Bing ... I'm on a Windows 10 machine at the moment ...

Yes, aluminum is suitable for overhead trolley power lines. Aluminum is the all-around best material for overhead cables and utility pole because of its unique properties. With its small density, low price, and high electrical carrying capacity, an aluminum wire is perfect for long-distance lines12.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Learn more:
1. nassaunationalcable.com
2. electricity-magnetism.org
3. peakdemand.com
4. kvcable.com
+2 more

What are other materials used for overhead power lines?
What are the advantages of using aluminum over other materials?
How does aluminum compare to copper in terms of suitability for overhead power lines?

(th)

#5 2023-10-27 07:52:18

tahanson43206

Calliban brought the topic of Roads on Mars back into view recently.

Out of curiosity, I went back and read it from the top until I hit this!

Terraformer wrote:

Which one are you entering?

I would like to start up my own R & D team, so I've been looking at the X-Prizes for things to enter. I'm only 13.5, but who said there had to be an age limit for inventors and scientists? I think I've cracked the problem of how to build a hoverboard/car. Efficiently, that is.

This forum was indeed fortunate to attract a member of that age!  JoshNH4H and other members were in college at the time they were active.

(th)

#6 2023-11-22 12:45:03

tahanson43206

For Terraformer .... thanks for following up with Calliban on the interesting ideas in play ....

It's been a while since you checked in with the forum, and without putting any personal information at risk in this public place, can you provide a hint about how things are going?  I ran across one of your posts from years ago when you had just acquired a Blackberry. It was then a state-of-the-art device, and I understand it may still be in use.

(th)

#7 2023-12-21 08:24:45

tahanson43206

For Terraformer .... thanks for stopping by occasionally ... 

FYI ... Dave Z has posted recently in the Knowledge Forum .... He and his partner Anke produced a series of films/videos about their travels in Alaska. I'm trying to encourage him to post links to the videos in the Knowledge Forum.

A while back, you reported on  communication with an ? elected ? official about a renewable heating/power concept.  I assume that if you'd heard anything more you'd have reported to the forum.  Please consider pulling that chain, to see if anything falls out.

I'm expecting not, but am prepared to be surprised.

(th)

#8 2023-12-23 07:56:09

tahanson43206

For Terraformer re discuss.the-knowledge.org ....

Dave Z got around to replying to your post of July of 2023.  I'd like to invite you to consider developing a body of work on your Ceres theme at Dr. Dartnell's forum.

The forum is visited daily by all the major search engines. That was a feature Dr. Dartnell installed when he created the forum.

You and Dave Z and I are the only active visitors to the site.

Dave Z and his partner Anke are residents of a small village on one of the many coasts of Alaska.  He and Anke prepared a series of videos about their sailing adventures in the open waters around Alaska, and links to the videos are provided in the Transportation topic.

In his most recent post, Dave Z has given up on trying to convince you that an O'Neill habitat would be a better investment of time and energy than your idea of building inside Ceres itself.

In pursuit of your studies of ecology, Dr. Dartnell's forum offers a place where you can explore your ideas and "publish" to the extent you want to do that.

Dr. Dartnell's site is stable, so a link to a post in that site can be given to another person as a reference.

With regards to the options .... it seems to me that it is not clear at this point, if it is going to take more or less energy to build an O'Neill habitat vs building inside Ceres.  Both options will require a ** lot ** of energy, and a lot of work, although in both cases, most of the physical work will be done by automation.

(th)

#9 2024-02-09 16:25:22

tahanson43206

For Terraformer re post about David MacKay ...

Thanks for this tip!

Google came back with several pages of citations about this gent ...

Here's one that caught my eye ...\

Sustainable Energy without the Hot Air (Revised, Community ...
lifeitself.org
https://climate.lifeitself.org › without-hot-air
David MacKay tragically passed away in 2016. His wonderful book (and website) were first published in 2008. The material is still of great value. However, is ...

Follow up: It appears the entire book may be available to download:
https://www.withouthotair.com/download.html

Sustainable Energy – without the hot air
Download the book
[you can also browse the book using the table of contents]

The Whole Book, all in one 12M pdf file
Errata (two pages pdf) - also available as html
  if you prefer, you can get the book in five slightly-smaller chunks or in other electronic formats.
Here's a 10-page synopsis: (pdf) (download from this website)   
(or download from Cambridge)
(postscript) | (pdf)

Kind volunteers have made translations deutsch italiano francais  strine american dutch slovakia slovenia ukraine

Download Individual figures from the book, eps files (encapsulated postscript) and png

withouthotair.com
Site last modified Sat 29 Aug 2015 10:36:45 BST

I note the web site mentioned: withouthotair.com

Site last modified Sat 29 Aug 2015 10:36:45 BST

(th)

#10 2024-02-24 11:45:58

tahanson43206

For Terraformer re Heat Pumps discussion with Calliban ...

https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.ph … 49#p219749

I see an opportunity to (at least try to) encourage you to develop your ideas about ceiling panels ...

You've indicated that you think the price of 100 pounds per square meter is high, and from my perspective, I have no idea what would be a fair price.

What I'm sure of is that anyone purporting to be qualified to do that work will have a pretty good idea of what costs I know nothing about may be in play.

My guess is that the material costs are a minor part of the overall job costs. 

If my inquiry inspires you to investigate, I would be most definitely interested in your results, and hopefully one or two other forum members might be as well. The overhead heating system that Calliban proposed, and to which you have replied, would seem (to me at least) ** really ** useful for Mars.

Calliban is working on a concept for cast iron struts for geodesic domes to hold regolith overhead on Mars.  He can design the domes so they are tall enough for heating and lighting fixtures, and your work might show us what those could look like.

(th)

#11 2024-02-24 17:18:12

Calliban

A ceiling mounted heating panel is a non-optimal heating arrangement.  It would require a recirculating fan to work, because hot air rises.  Without forced convection, the convective heat transfer coefficient will be poor.  For existing houses in the UK, it may be a better option that tearing up floors and rerendering walls.  But if we are building a structure from scratch, then there are better options.  When the dome is completed, covered and pressurised, the internal structure can be built using adobe bricks, stone, mud mortar and iron beams.  We could embed heating pipes in walls and under floors.  If this is done, then the entire surface area of a room becomes a heating panel.  The advantages of this are twofold.  Firstly, with such a large heat transfer area, the pumped heat temperature only need be marginally hotter than the desired air temperature.  Secondly, the masonry structure will store heat.  Both attributes are valuable.

Last edited by Calliban (2024-02-24 17:20:54)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#12 2024-03-14 14:35:57

tahanson43206

For Terraformer re renaming or editing a topic ...

It took a number of years for me to discover that you (the topic creator) have the power to revise the title of your topic.

Just go to Post #1 of the topic, and you'll find that the title is available when you edit #1.

It occurs to me (as I think about your new topic) that sea level rise may be worth considering as you develop the topic.  The ocean may fill in spaces you (or your friends) might create on land ahead of time.

(th)

#13 2024-03-17 17:00:34

tahanson43206

For Terraformer re waste of photons ....

https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.ph … 85#p220485

In your reply you changed the scope of the problem ....

Or, more accurately, from my perspective, you *** seemed *** to be changing the scope....

I was calling attention to Void's assertion that photons falling the ocean where there are no nutrients are "wasted"

My immediate reaction was that if the photons are not reflected to space, then the are not wasted.

My impression is that Void was thinking of photons not used in biological processes as wasted, but from my perspective, most photons have other job assignments, and that would clearly be the case in the "desert oceans" Void was talking about.

If you are so inspired, please develop your thinking about "wasted" photons a bit further.

(th)

Board footer