New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-10-11 18:25:31

louis

Space Movies and the Mars Economy

The Russians recently pipped the Americans to be the first to shoot a commercial movie in space.

I thought this was interesting in two respects, in terms of what I have said previously about developing the Mars economy.

1. We see the role competition plays. Russia wanted to beat the USA in being the first to make a film in space. On Mars we will see similar competition. Who will get the first TV ad for an automobile shot on Mars? Toyota, Ford, VW, or someone else?

2. People do want to make movies in space...well orbital space is not that exciting compared to all the wonderful vistas and backdrops on Mars!  Mars I think is going to be used on a fairly regular basis.

So, I think we can be confident there will be a race to make the first movie "on Mars".

Of course with modern CGI you don't necessarily have to transfer your actors to Mars to make the movie. It may be more a question of filming all the Mars scenery and then slotting in the actors back on Earth.

In any case I think the fact "movies in space" is already a reality is an excellent portent for the viability of a Mars economy.

Last edited by louis (2021-10-11 18:28:38)

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2023-10-30 07:13:51

tahanson43206

Re: Space Movies and the Mars Economy

This topic was sitting without a reply.  I found it while looking for a place to put a post about matching the abilities and interests of humans with job/work/service opportunities on Mars.

The topic Louis created is one that may well gain posts in coming times, but (to the best of my knowledge) there isn't much happening in the space-movie segment.

(th)

Board footer