New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-02-27 10:01:52

Tholzel
Banned

Re: New Face on mars - Highy detailed face (not a hoax)

Here is a highly detailed face on Mars, taken from today's NASA Rover website.  The detail has been overlaid with a light color wash to point out the profile; the bigger picture is the unretouched NASA image.

http://www.velocitypress.com/forbidden_ … ledge1.php

#2 2005-03-04 16:35:12

reddragon
Banned

It looks a little like a face if you use your imagination, but I don't think it's anything artificial. To me it looks even less face-like than the famous "face on Mars." I had to stare at it and the accompanying picture of a real face for a few seconds before I figured out what it was talking about. Without the coloring I couldn't really see the "face" at all. It's just the shape of the hills; just a coincidence. Mars is a big place; if you look, you're bound to see things that look sort of recognizable as human faces or whatever. There are plenty of rock formations on Earth that resemble faces, but no one ever says they were made by intelligent beings. It's just the natural shape of the hills, I think.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
              by Douglas Adams

#3 2005-03-04 17:12:47

Tholzel
Banned

<<I had to stare at it and the accompanying picture of a real face for a few seconds before I figured out what it was talking about. Without the coloring I couldn't really see the "face" at all.>>

I am beginning to discover that there is a very large range over which people are, and are not, able to "see" recognizable images in random configurations.  I did a stylized logo which was a wolf's head.  To me and a few others , it was as plain as day.  but my wife and daughter couldn't see it at all.  Nor could some good male friends.  Even when I greatly simplified it, and made it plainer and plainer, it almost had to be semi-photographic before they "saw" it.

Perhaps the same is true of this "face," which to me is as plain as day.

#4 2005-03-06 17:01:41

reddragon
Banned

I am beginning to discover that there is a very large range over which people are, and are not, able to "see" recognizable images in random configurations.

That's true. I think it's part of the reason we get debates over faces and other features seen in nature. I'm not quite sure whether you're trying to advance this image as proof of a Martian civilization, or just an interesting possibility. Personally I think that it (as well as the more famous face) is a natural formation. I don't see enough evidence to prove something like Martian civilization. Applying Occam's razor, I still find natural explanations for this and other features the simplest explanations.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
              by Douglas Adams

#5 2007-03-18 15:38:02

malfunkshun
Banned

the link doesn't work anymore.  can somebody post a picture?

"Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there." -- Randy Clagget, Commander, Apollo 18

Board footer