New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-02-22 21:03:16

uniderth
Banned

Re: United Martian Colonies founded!

Here is the email we are sending to everyone.

Hello,
I am Michael Ellis, Acting-President of the United Martian Colonies. I would like to announce to you the founding of the government of Mars, the United Martian Colonies. The United Martian Colonies was founded in order to organize people and organizations for the future colonization of Mars. Even though still on Earth the UMC is the government of Mars, we have decided to start this government now so that when we move to Mars the government will already be in place. We are sending you this email to announce our founding and to invite all of you to join us. We welcome all individuals and organizations. We hope you will consider our offer and contact us with your decision, questions, comments, etc.  I hope to see you enjoy in benefits of this sovereign government and see the colonization of Mars in the near future. Please feel free to explore our website at www.geocities.com/unimarscol.

Sincerely,
Michael Ellis
Acting-President, United Martian Colonies

#2 2006-02-23 02:07:01

Rxke

I see you sell land:

At the current time no person has ever been to Mars yet. So these people decided to start the Martian government here on Earth and wait until the technology becomes available so they can move to Mars. It is this reason the the United Martian Colonies government has the sole authority for dealing with property on Mars. We are not part of the United States or the UN or ANY government here on earth. We are seperate and bound only by the laws of the United Martian Colonies.

I sell bridges.

We cliam Mars as our territory, its surrounding moons, and any artificial sattilite or anything on the surface of Mars as UMC property.

Cliaming sattilites, now that's a novel approach...

#3 2006-02-23 18:56:50

uniderth
Banned

We'll we own it so we have given permission to the Martian Land Management Authority to sell land to non-Martians.

#4 2006-02-24 04:44:21

Grypd

And there is a Scottish Lawyer who used the same legal trickery to claim ownership of the sun and since you get light and heat from it you owe him one major utility bill for all those Millions of years output.

Pay up please.  lol

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#5 2006-02-25 16:32:55

uniderth
Banned

thats interesting if not legally viable. The Earth laws have no authority over any stellar objects. People just dont understand it. The legal authority to those objects come from their respective government. For example, Australia cant claim the United States as it's own. They have no legal jurisdiction there. The United Martian Colonies is the government of the Planet Mars. We have ALL legal right to do what ever we want with the planet, because it's OURS. We are it's government. This isnt just one guy saying, "I found a loop hole Mars is mine." No this is the United Martian Colonies.
Anyway, we need people to become Martian citizens so that when we launch the first mission to Mars, in five years, we will have colonists. Keep an eye out on our webpage for more information about the mission.

#6 2006-02-26 04:33:28

Grypd

thats interesting if not legally viable. The Earth laws have no authority over any stellar objects. People just dont understand it.

But I do understand it. International Space law comes down to the outer space treaty and related treaties. I ignore the Moon treaty since the majority of goverments have too. The basis of your claim is that no goverment may claim any or part of an outer space body though they are allowed to peacefully explore and can use materials to do so. But certain quack companies using legal trickery say that they can claim land as private citizens then they are able to sell it too. That was exposed by Virgiliu Pop

Lawyer claims to "own" the sun

The legal authority to those objects come from their respective government. For example, Australia cant claim the United States as it's own. They have no legal jurisdiction there.

Correct but they own any missions sent to space permanently. They are also responsible. A private citizen launching a mission is considered by the law to be authorised by that goverment certainly any problems and it is the goverment of that citizen that is responsible.

The United Martian Colonies is the government of the Planet Mars. We have ALL legal right to do what ever we want with the planet, because it's OURS. We are it's government. This isnt just one guy saying, "I found a loop hole Mars is mine." No this is the United Martian Colonies.

Who says. And incidentally a recent test case occuring in the PRC showed that selling land on the Moon and Mars has no legal basis. China being one of the main signatories of the 1967 act. Other countries consider it to be just a quaint novelty item and will give no validity to it. To be a martian goverment you must first of all have the ability to prove that you own that land and can defend that claim. Since there is no people on Mars it is up for grabs.

Anyway, we need people to become Martian citizens so that when we launch the first mission to Mars, in five years, we will have colonists. Keep an eye out on our webpage for more information about the mission.

5 years  lol

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#7 2006-02-26 04:37:27

Rxke

You need bridges. You really do. What with all those canals.

I can make you a good deal if you buy more than five. Seriously.

#8 2006-02-28 20:53:59

Martian Republic

Here is the email we are sending to everyone.

Hello,
I am Michael Ellis, Acting-President of the United Martian Colonies. I would like to announce to you the founding of the government of Mars, the United Martian Colonies. The United Martian Colonies was founded in order to organize people and organizations for the future colonization of Mars. Even though still on Earth the UMC is the government of Mars, we have decided to start this government now so that when we move to Mars the government will already be in place. We are sending you this email to announce our founding and to invite all of you to join us. We welcome all individuals and organizations. We hope you will consider our offer and contact us with your decision, questions, comments, etc.  I hope to see you enjoy in benefits of this sovereign government and see the colonization of Mars in the near future. Please feel free to explore our website at www.geocities.com/unimarscol.

Sincerely,
Michael Ellis
Acting-President, United Martian Colonies

I an a history buff and I am currently reading the Federalist Paper and the Anti-Federalist Papers along with the US Constitution including the Madison Papers inside Constitution. I have also look at the colonist that founded this nation and thirteen colonies. I can see what they did and how they did it. But, looking at you guys, you guys are weird and what you are planning is complete foolishness.

You use circle reasoning that you base your plans on until you complete that circle, but your logic is flawed and has not bases in reality.

Larry,

#9 2006-03-01 02:04:27

Rxke

...looking at you guys,...

Looks more like one guy to me, who slapped a half-baked website together to lure some money out of naive people. Probably to invest in a spell-checker lol

#10 2006-03-01 22:28:49

Martian Republic

...looking at you guys,...

Looks more like one guy to me, who slapped a half-baked website together to lure some money out of naive people. Probably to invest in a spell-checker lol

You may be right about that. That there just one person pushing this mess.

wink

But, I was just gong by what he was saying and he claimed that there was about ten other people involved in this things too. But, when you have something this crazy that someone is pushing, we should question what they say.

You know:  roll

Larry,

#11 2006-03-07 08:33:43

Rakial
Banned

I think you guys scared him off.
Oh well,
I am from Martian Dome and I am, sorry WE are, the government, and we are going to be on Mars in 2 years, how about that.
So pay up.
This is some kind of delusion. What’s going on?

#12 2006-06-12 19:41:40

Aetius

Yeah, please put in a good word for me so I can get a job there when the colony's up and running.  big_smile

I've also got some swampland, I mean, um, prime real estate in Florida I'd like to sell you.  wink

#13 2006-06-17 17:35:20

Martian Republic

Yeah, please put in a good word for me so I can get a job there when the colony's up and running.  big_smile

I've also got some swampland, I mean, um, prime real estate in Florida I'd like to sell you.  wink

I will trade with you, my land at the bottom of Lake Michigan. I mean Prime lake shore property that is.

Larry,

#14 2006-08-04 06:32:46

Martin_Tristar

uniderth,

Well, Firstly , you think that the governments of the Earth will happily give up their control over their future base/s on Mars, you have been smoking dope !!!!. This won't happen for at least 50 years and by then many changes will be underway on earth.  It also depends who gets there first as well, who will control the government or oversight of the Martian Surface including any property rights to the planet.

#15 2006-08-23 14:08:10

snelson5871

One cannot claim ownership of Mars because one cannot enforce its ownership in person on said planet. If NASA went to mars tomorrow (I know its not possible its just an example) If none of your representatives are actually on Mars to enforce the laws then the U.S. can do whatever it wants and there's nothing you can do about it. Not only that but there are at least 4 other people claiming ownership of Mars including a company that actually sells plots of land. So in order to prove you run Mars then the first step in proving it would be to sue that company for everything its got. Of course finding a court that will do it would be nearly impossible. Not to mention if you sued via the "martian court" how would you enforce the terms of the lawsuit without breaking any Terran laws.

#16 2006-11-19 13:53:11

citizen_142002

This is just foolish. There is no legal or sensical basis for such a claim. I could say that I am acting President of the entire universe beyond the Solsys, but that wouldn't make it so.

Frankly the only legitimate governments on Mars will be formed by Martians. There is no need or basis for governments where there are absolutely no people to be governed.

Government will not come until permanant habitation becomes reality.

Nicholas Michelewicz
President of the Confederated Republics of Mars
wink

Board footer