New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2006-08-27 19:51:16

Robert M. Blevins
Banned
Website

Re: Mars Mission novel: 'The 13th Day of Christmas.'

Ever since I was a shirt-tailed kid going to that crummy little parochial school in Oregon, I wanted to write a book about actually GOING to Mars. I read 'The Martian Chronicles' until the damn cover fell off, and then I read it again...

Well, after reading an article in a 2005 issue of Esquire Magazine, I decided to go ahead and write the Mars novel. By the way, this is what the Esquire article said, in part:

'There are very few good books about actually GOING to Mars.'I took that as a challenge.

After eighteen months of work, and much research through NASA, JPL, and believe it or not, the Canadian Space Agency, the result was
'The 13th Day of Christmas.'

'13th Day' is unlike any novel you have read about a mission to the Red Planet. It's based partially on real facts, although it takes some minor poetic licenses. Conflict between the characters drives this novel from start to end.

It is illustrated with 28 hi-res images for effect. Most of the images came from JPL.

The character of 'Anna Johnson' was partially based on real-life Canadian astronaut Julie Payette, with the permission of the CSA.
To see a preview, just visit the Coming Attractions page at Adventure Books of Seattle. The backstory is quite interesting. No links...if you want to find us, you will.  8)

Don't give up reaching for the stars...
just build yourself a bigger ladder.

Board footer