New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-12-14 12:44:44

soph

Re: portable hard drives - cd-rw's and dvd-rw's will change a lot

with the prices of dvd-rw drives coming down, and the fact that a dvd-rw disc has the potential to hold five gigabytes(!) of data, dvd-rw's could very well become the new media of choice for anything.  why bother with huge, highly priced hard drives, when you will soon be able to get a dvd-rw for about the price of an 80 GB hard drive, and a 5 GB disc for about $3.50 apiece now (wait 3 months, theyll likely be 2-2.50)  here are my calculations.

assuming in 3 months, they are $150 (current price for a decent new DVD burner drive bottoms at $200, and that drops post-holidays).  this is the price of a 100 GB hard drive.  but now, you can get unlimited numbers of dvd-rw's for say, $2.50 apiece.  100 of these costs $369 now, lets say, $300 by march.  so, 500 Gb of data for $450 dollars total.  this much money could get you about 300 GB of hard disk space. 

the upshot, its portable!  you could store huge amounts of data  on a small CD, bring it to any computer with a DVD drive (not even a burner, a DVD drive costs about $50), and access the information.  this opens up a world of possibilities. 

beyond this, mini-cd's (not minidiscs, those are different) are out too.  with data compression on the rise, it is not inconceivable that within a year, we will have discs about twice the size of a quarter, than can store 5 GB of data or more.  entire libraries of information could be stored in the palm of your hand. 

handheld computers are on the way.

#2 2002-12-19 15:20:56

Echus_Chasma
Website

Yeah, I read somewhere that computer technology doubles very very quickly, but I can't remember the approximate speed. If any one knows could they fill me in please.

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#3 2002-12-19 17:20:51

soph

once every four years i believe.

i actually mistated.  dvd-ram drives can write 9.4 gb of data...price of a drive is about $300.  im going to wait until they have dvd-rams that can write to cd-r, rw, and dvd-r and -rws too.  right now theyre only dvd-ram capable, but thats always the case for a new hardware piece.

by march, they should have dvd-rams for $200 that are fully compatible with any medium...im going to pick one up.  im going to keep a dvd-ram in the drive to save all my schoolwork and misc stuff to, to reduce computer clutter.  it actually helps keep the speed up.

Board footer