New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2006-06-09 15:58:52

Grypd

Re: ESA ahead of NASA

ESA invents Space Beer

Im sorry to say that this one invention will likely be more important to the future Martian colonist than anything else so far.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#2 2006-06-09 16:04:39

Palomar

*Lol! 

Now can they come up with Diet Pepsi?

Really, I dislike beer.   :x

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2006-06-09 16:33:20

Grypd

they value what is important in life  lol

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#4 2006-06-09 16:47:52

Rxke

Why does this cause acute flashbacks to the 'you're a first martian settler' RPG we had going awhile ago, heehee...

#5 2006-06-09 19:04:00

John Creighton
Website

I predict once they figure out how to produce this stuff cheaply sky scrapers will be 5 times as high. Okay, maybe not five times as high but the stuff will do wonders for the construction industry. Metal foam. Who would of thought it would of taken us this log to figure it out. Just wait until we have metal foam buildings reinforced by carbon nano-tube cables. Of course on second thought I am wondering what requirements taller buildings will put on there foundations.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#6 2006-06-09 19:05:58

John Creighton
Website

I just had another thought. For space technology this stuff is amazing. With a metal foam tank the walls of the tank provide insulation while at the same time providing 5 times the strength per weight. Maybe this is the sort of material we need to achieve single stage to orbit mass fractions.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#7 2006-06-09 19:51:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

We should have learned something with regards to foams that they need lots of testing to be sure that the bubbles do not break.

#8 2006-06-09 20:23:56

Martin_Tristar

This Material Process Technology, might help the development of HTOL Space Vehicles for moving large scale human passenger loads into orbit for space stations and going to the moon and mars. Again Technology that will provide3 the means to expand the frontiers of space settlement.

I think you don't see the great benefits in fuel savings. Using this technology into large scale space vessels it will reduce the weight ratio making the movement of larger numbers of personnel to moon, mars and outer planets more obtainable in the next fifity years.

#9 2006-06-09 21:01:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

I do understand the benifits of the mass difference and that if it does have the strength that is great. This is not the first time that bubbles to make a metal more foam like has been mentioned.

#10 2006-06-09 22:41:45

PurduesUSAFguy
Banned

Well we can be ready for colinizing Mars once we can indgenously produce Mountain Dew and vodka in the Hellas Basin  lol

...with any luck the first heard of martian cattel will produced the first martian beef tenderloins right around that time too, haha

#11 2006-06-10 09:40:37

GCNRevenger

Hmmm need to invent some methane extraction process from low-pressure air, so we can harvest the waste gasses from the "livestock domes" to power rockets or rovers. Heh.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#12 2006-06-10 10:22:08

Palomar

Why does this cause acute flashbacks to the 'you're a first martian settler' RPG we had going awhile ago, heehee...

WHAT?

What

what

what

(echoes of memory)  tongue 

Grypd -- Diet Pepsi IS important.   wink

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#14 2006-06-17 14:01:44

Grypd

Grypd -- Diet Pepsi IS important.   wink

Not for me it has to be full fat and in something like Vodka or Rum.

and beer is important.

Still back to something like seriousness, It is obvious that ESA will be more advanced in some technique or plan than NASA. It is simply not possible for NASA to be the ultimate in everything. NASA does not have the unlimited funds or time, so it must concentrate.

Board footer