New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-12-18 11:11:40

David Anthony Ricketts

Re: Project Mars Opinion Survey.

I am interested in the different opinions that people have on the concept of introducing foreign life the surface of Mars.
If there is any life there, could it destroy that?
It would be done eventually any way, wouldn‘t it?
Would contained biospheres be more appropriate?
Is it right to change environments to suit our needs?
We don’t know the ramifications, so don’t do it.
Would you allow life to be brought here from Mars?
Similar questions or view points.  I am not starting an argument as all are entitled to their view, so be nice.

Thank you.
The Project Mars Association Ltd.
http://projectmarsltd.org/home.html

#2 2005-12-18 14:55:01

GCNRevenger

No, I think you are trying to get a response

Its my view that the views of people who think like this (its wrong to change Mars! etc etc) are irrational and invalid and so should be ridiculed or ignored.

Humans are more important than bugs on a world where they will never, ever have a chance of becomming anything more then bugs, and its about time we started talking and walking like it.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#3 2005-12-18 15:47:01

David Anthony Ricketts

I apologise if my initial question was misunderstood, but all I am after are other view points on the matter, rather than just friends and colleagues.
My personal view is that there is no life on Mars at present.
But I still think we should start taking serious steps toward placing humans on Mars, beginning with self-contained environments.  Our experiments are showing that the Lichen we are using can withstand short term tolerances to an artificial Mars atmosphere.  Time will tell how long they can last before perishing.

Thank you again.
http://projectmarsltd.org/home.html[/url]

#4 2005-12-18 16:24:27

Dook
Banned

We have plenty of 'reds' but I am definately a 'green'.

The universe was not created for rocks and amoeba but for sentient beings who have the ability to create the kind of life that they desire for themselves.

Some look upon mars as something that God created and they believe it should be left that way.  God created a universe that is incredibly huge and overwhelmingly empty but there are perfect havens. 

Rocks are not equal to humans.   

As far as terraforming goes I think we should first land humans on mars and explore the planet.  Look and learn about what is there now and what was there in the past.  Then land more humans and test out greenhouses.  Continue to explore.  Determine through soil samples if mars has enough CO2 to terraform the planet.  After we have tested the equipment and learned about growing things in the mars regolith, then we can try and terraform it.

A mars with oceans, clouds, and forrests would be the greatest achievement mankind could ever do.  And somewhere far away, God would be smiling.

#5 2005-12-18 20:46:05

GCNRevenger

I apologise if my initial question was misunderstood, but all I am after are other view points on the matter, rather than just friends and colleagues.
My personal view is that there is no life on Mars at present.
But I still think we should start taking serious steps toward placing humans on Mars, beginning with self-contained environments.  Our experiments are showing that the Lichen we are using can withstand short term tolerances to an artificial Mars atmosphere.  Time will tell how long they can last before perishing.

Thank you again.
http://projectmarsltd.org/home.html[/url]

I understand better then you think,

I am stating that the viewpoint that man should avoid  settling Mars even if there is life is irrational and incompatible with the wellbeing of man over all sub-human life.

If we have to kill every last minute organism on Mars to live there, so be it! Viewpoints to the contrary do exsist, but they are not only wrong, they are anti-human just like the man-hating environmentalists who "views" are downright genocidal. Viewpoints to the contrary are unwelcome.

The only reason to protect Martian life is by what we could learn or gain from it, and since bacteria don't have much in the way of psychological bennefits like trees or grass, they don't have much non-scientific/industrial worth at all.

It will be essentially impossible to have a completly closed environment for any Martian settlement, and there is always some possibility that Terran life will escape the confines of domes or habs or tunnels. This is unavoidable, and given that conditions on the surface are so hostile to Terran microbes as it is, we should not put much effort into making settlements extra "clean."

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#6 2005-12-19 05:49:25

Belinda

I am interested in the different opinions that people have on the concept of introducing foreign life the surface of Mars.

Humans on Mars will be foreign life walking on its surface.

If there is any life there, could it destroy that?

If there is any life on Mars, it's unlikely to be at the surface. The first humans to go will have had plenty of time to decide how to protect it, (not to mention the 30+ years between now and their arrival)

Is it right to change environments to suit our needs?

We do it all the time on Earth. People agonise about it but it goes on.

Would you allow life to be brought here from Mars?

It could be fascinating.

I am not starting an argument as all are entitled to their view, so be nice.

I agree, so be nice to me as well.

#7 2006-01-16 15:55:17

Rakial
Banned

Just because there were only a couple thousands humans on Earth thousands of years ago maybe we should stop procreating. Give up your cap just because there were no cars 200 year ago, and so on and so forth.
Universe is a changing environment; it changes so much even without our input. Our input is minuscule in caparison to black holes, dying stars, collisions of planets expansion of the universe.
I am definitely a “green”.

#8 2006-01-16 17:45:41

Rxke

(@ David Anthony Ricketts: I fixed the link on your initial submission, hope you don't mind)

#9 2006-04-02 18:08:03

Tholzel
Banned

""If there is any life on Mars, it's unlikely to be at the surface. The first humans to go will have had plenty of time to decide how to protect it, (not to mention the 30+ years between now and their arrival) ""

No chance of that. The Martian surface has been throughly sterilized by UV radiation from the sun unfiltered by any significant atmosphere, and sterilized to a depth of at least several inches by cosmic rays from the sun, undeflected by a magnetic field.

Any "life" to be found on Mars will be deep underground, and will be microbial, not plant or animal.

(The lack of a cosmic-ray shielding van Allen belt will make terraforming Mars very difficult.)

#10 2006-04-03 06:22:08

Belinda

Any "life" to be found on Mars will be deep underground, and will be microbial, not plant or animal.

That's my point, no-one is going to encounter it accidentally.

(The lack of a cosmic-ray shielding van Allen belt will make terraforming Mars very difficult.)

The terraformers would have to make an artificial one.

Board footer