New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-03-14 18:00:57

Robert M. Blevins
Banned
Website

Re: Esquire said what......???

In 2005, Esquire Magazine ran an article stating that there are 'very few good books about actually GOING to Mars...'

What they meant was that there were few films or books dealing with going to Mars in a realistic, hard-science manner.

So, I decided to make my humble contribution to this section of science-fiction.

I am wrapping up the final version of a novel about the first manned mission to the Red Planet. It will be available in July, 2006. It is titled,
'The 13th Day of Christmas.'

Without giving too much of the story away, let's pretend for a moment that a new US President with a bit of vision comes into office and tells the head of NASA that he is committing the nation to a manned mission. Let's suppose further he asks them to do it within 3 1/2 years, when Mars and Earth will be at their closest approach in a decade. The 'rush' program creates a greater risk for the crew, of course.  This is the story of 'The 13th Day of Christmas.' I love writing this stuff, I will admit... 8) The character of 'Anna Johnson' is based (with permission from CSA) partially on real-life Canadian astronaut Julie Payette.

If you'd like to view the covers and see a little preview, just go to the Bookstore page at Adventure Books of Seattle. www.discountebooks.net
There is also a short article and a picture of Ms. Payette on the News and Updates page!

Don't give up reaching for the stars...
just build yourself a bigger ladder.

#2 2006-03-18 03:19:23

cIclops

Links would be helpful Robert

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#3 2006-03-18 05:54:14

Rxke

From former posts of Mr. Blevins, I recall it is his 'policy' to not offer direct links to his work, because he considers that spamming.

But, by all means, I think you can provide direct links, since it is Mars-related, and you do not multiple-post in unappropiriate places your stuff, as some other people tend to do. That would be spamming.

Of course, that's my view, if people object, the worst that could happen is another moderator asking you to remove the direct links, so...

I mean: here is someone that went through a lot of effort do do something Mars-related, I don't see anything wrong in pointing to it, even if it is 'commercial' (And even if it is commercial, no-one is forced to buy etc., Mr. Blevins is not some 'Evil Corp' scamming people etc...)

#4 2006-03-18 18:23:10

John Creighton
Website

From former posts of Mr. Blevins, I recall it is his 'policy' to not offer direct links to his work, because he considers that spamming.

But, by all means, I think you can provide direct links, since it is Mars-related, and you do not multiple-post in unappropiriate places your stuff, as some other people tend to do. That would be spamming.

Of course, that's my view, if people object, the worst that could happen is another moderator asking you to remove the direct links, so...

I mean: here is someone that went through a lot of effort do do something Mars-related, I don't see anything wrong in pointing to it, even if it is 'commercial' (And even if it is commercial, no-one is forced to buy etc., Mr. Blevins is not some 'Evil Corp' scamming people etc...)

I agree. smile

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

Board footer