New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-12-06 18:03:43

soph

Re: Magazine

Thinking of getting a space related magazine, any suggestions?  nothing too intense, im still in high school, dont want anything beyond me (that would require an ivy league education lol).  Im willing to go in a little beyond my understanding, but not so much that it ruins the experience.

#2 2002-12-06 22:16:06

CalTech2010

That's a cool idea.  Are you thinking of something like, "NASA Today", or more of a theoretical and drawing board mission type of magazine?  I don't think Astronomy does a good enough job of covering NASA missions, because they focus more on backyard observing than actual space ideas.

If you made it more like a newsletter, or maybe something a little bigger, you could send it out as an e-mail or put up a web page with that month's copy.  Let me know how this develops.  I'm interested... wink

"Some have met another fate.  Let's put it this way... they no longer pose a threat to the US or its allies and friends." -- President Bush, State of the Union Address

#3 2002-12-06 22:19:57

soph

im looking for something like discover in astronomical form, if you follow me...of course if i got anything exciting, id post info about good articles.

astronomy is ok, but i was wondering if there was anything less popularized...

#4 2002-12-06 22:58:08

Bill White

I believe Lou Dobbs (CNN Moneyline & Space.com) tried to launch a glossy magazine called "Space" a few years ago.

I actually subscribed but do not recall ever getting an issue.

Apparently, he intended a format somewhere between "Sports Illustrated" and "Life" magazines.

Great idea, IMHO, but it seems Lou Dobbs crashed and burned.

#5 2002-12-06 23:09:44

CalTech2010

I really liked Discover at first, but I hated that it had to share astronomy and physics space with medicine, biotech, nature, and others.  That's why I got sucked into Astronomy.

I think if you did a magazine in e-mail form, or made a web page, you wouldn't have a problem with "crashing and burning" like Space.  All you need to do one of those is a decent computer and a modem.

"Some have met another fate.  Let's put it this way... they no longer pose a threat to the US or its allies and friends." -- President Bush, State of the Union Address

#6 2002-12-07 21:56:35

soph

any other ideas?

#7 2002-12-07 22:56:03

CalTech2010

Would you want to have a permanent staff of writers, or independent cores of technical and creative writers working independently?  You could really get some gifted technical or space writers to do some great stories for free.

#8 2002-12-08 07:27:41

soph

i think you misunderstood, im thinkin of getting a magazine  tongue

#9 2002-12-08 23:49:11

CalTech2010

OH!  That's a horse of a different color.

I really only read Astronomy and Discover, so I don't know how to help you.  Check out Space.com, and you'll get some good stories and updates.  I have a Space.com newsbar on my MyYahoo! homepage.

That really kills this board... big_smile

#10 2002-12-10 20:05:05

Phobos

Holier than thou attitude is nothing more than arrogance, and it permeates those on both sides of belief.

My favorite magazine used to be OMNI even though I don't think it's in the same "hard science" genre as Discover or Astronomy.  I like speculation on what science might bring us in the future but not really in story form like a sci-fi novel.  I like to just read the opinions straight which OMNI often did.  Of course I was in junior high when I was reading that magazine so I might go back on my opinion if I were to read issues again but I remember it being a fun magazine to read.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#11 2002-12-10 22:36:24

CalTech2010

Why did you bring up the "holier than thou" comment again?  I got the point, however misread I was.

#12 2002-12-11 12:44:31

Phobos

Oops, I accidently pasted the quote from the last message I wrote.  Twas a mistake!  sad

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#13 2002-12-11 15:51:56

CalTech2010

Quite alright... just wanted to confirm that there was no undue mudslinging out of context... big_smile

Board footer