New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-11-26 14:55:48

Palomar

Re: Name the Mars Robot - For children

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Have fun!  smile

--Cindy

P.S.:  It -is- a cute robot...as robots go.  wink

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2002-11-26 15:24:24

Adrian
Website

(Eds. Note: The contest is only open to school children in grades K-12.)

No fun for us grown-ups then...  smile

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#3 2002-11-30 22:44:36

CalTech2010

I personally like Regan...

THE REGAN ROVER...

"Pioneering new ways in an old world since 2006..."

"Some have met another fate.  Let's put it this way... they no longer pose a threat to the US or its allies and friends." -- President Bush, State of the Union Address

#4 2002-12-08 01:18:48

Phobos

LOL!  I clicked on Cindy's link and it took me to a pic of the ISS.  Of all the things we could name that piece of #@%@#!  Anyways, I thought Adrian deleted the Youth Group section.  Shows how observant I am... tongue

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#5 2002-12-10 08:36:20

Palomar

LOL!  I clicked on Cindy's link and it took me to a pic of the ISS.  Of all the things we could name that piece of #@%@#!  Anyways, I thought Adrian deleted the Youth Group section.  Shows how observant I am... tongue

*Why do I get the feeling this robot is going to be named "Harry Potter" -- ?  ???

I suppose they narrowed the applicants for the "name the robot" competition as they did [school-aged people], because I can just about imagine the flood of suggestions they'd get if the competition were open to everyone.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#6 2002-12-10 20:16:26

Phobos

*Why do I get the feeling this robot is going to be named "Harry Potter" -- ? 

I suppose they narrowed the applicants for the "name the robot" competition as they did [school-aged people], because I can just about imagine the flood of suggestions they'd get if the competition were open to everyone. 

--Cindy

Come to think of it, I would like to see odd groups of people given the exclusive chance to name the robot.  It would be interesting to see what kinds of monikers the residents of psychowards or prisons would suggest.  Of course that wouldn't sit well with most people but I want to see the names they come up with.

#7 2002-12-11 09:06:10

Palomar

*Why do I get the feeling this robot is going to be named "Harry Potter" -- ? 

I suppose they narrowed the applicants for the "name the robot" competition as they did [school-aged people], because I can just about imagine the flood of suggestions they'd get if the competition were open to everyone. 

--Cindy

Come to think of it, I would like to see odd groups of people given the exclusive chance to name the robot.  It would be interesting to see what kinds of monikers the residents of psychowards or prisons would suggest.  Of course that wouldn't sit well with most people but I want to see the names they come up with.

???

If there were any select group to give the competition to, I say take it to the senior citizens.  They're the generation which created cool super-heros in comic books, animated cartoons, gave their war planes funky names in WWII, etc., etc.  I bet they could come up with some really interesting names.

--Cindy

#8 2002-12-11 16:11:38

CalTech2010

I don't even want to know...

Hell, they'd probably vote for the Regan Rover too! big_smile

"Some have met another fate.  Let's put it this way... they no longer pose a threat to the US or its allies and friends." -- President Bush, State of the Union Address

#9 2002-12-11 22:30:57

Phobos

LOL, I could see them voting for the Regan rover.

#10 2002-12-11 23:28:46

Palomar

LOL, I could see them voting for the Regan rover.

*Okay, I'm -not- following you guys with this "Regan" thing.  Do you mean ::Reagan::, as in Ronald Reagan, former President?  No?  Please explain?

--Cindy

#11 2002-12-11 23:36:01

CalTech2010

Yeah!  Like former president Ronald Regan.  What's not to like?  He was California governor, reduced taxes, ensured the fall of the Soviet Union, built the nation's military to a new peak, and ushered in the Space Shuttle.

I mean, the senior citizens, mostly conservative in their old age (unlike myself, a spry whipper-snapper) were the majority age group back when Regan was in office.  Why not?

The Regan Rover... Pioneering New Ways in an Old World Since 2006  I LOVE IT! big_smile

Board footer