New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-10-28 05:29:50

Palomar

Re: SHOT Martian Environment Simulator

Read me

*I've not yet seen this posted and I searched with "SHOT" and "chamber" and "simulator."  Anyway...

Recreation of Martian atmosphere, temperature and light spectrum.

Discusses dryness as the leading condition limiting life on Mars.  I could have put this in a couple of folders (water, terraforming, human missions), but decided on this one instead.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-10-28 07:15:09

Rxke

Great, they did it big_smile

a test bed for experimental ecopoiesis.

pdf: http://shot.com/docs/techpubs/NIAC.pdf

There's another great pdf somewhere about these guys' stuff, in essence they want to build mini-domes on Luna, with Martian atmosphere and test Earth lifeforms' adaptability... Been following this for a while, but can't get to my files I collected about this ATM...

They want to build a lot of minichambers for schools too, exciting stuff.

#3 2005-10-28 07:19:25

Rxke

ah...

www.niac.usra.edu/files/library/meetings/annual/oct04/918Todd.pdf

Robotic lunar ecopiesis testbed. Great stuff.

Edit: not exactly the report I was looking for, but good stuff nontheless, looks more like a Powerpoint presentation of the former linked .pdf, but at a glance most if not all of the interesting stuff is in there, in a pleasantly presented style  8)

#4 2005-10-28 07:57:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

Better than doing this research on the Iss but how long must we study the effects of reduced gravity and other eccential stuff before we get off our *** and get going.

#5 2005-10-28 08:13:30

Palomar

Rxke wrote:

Great, they did it big_smile

*Yay!  smile  Hi Rik.

There's another great pdf somewhere about these guys' stuff, in essence they want to build mini-domes on Luna, with Martian atmosphere and test Earth lifeforms' adaptability...

8)  I'm hip to that.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2005-10-28 09:00:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

Reading thou Ryke document on page 9 that lists a "Preliminary selection matrix for extremophiles".
This brought to mind a few other articles with extremophiles are being used for good.
Rocket-Fueled Bacteria Clean Up Waste

Bacteria that make rocket fuel as part of their metabolism are making sewage treatment less expensive and kinder to the environment, British researchers.

The bacteria, provisionally called "Brocadia anammoxidans," were discovered in a yeast plant in the Netherlands in the late 1990s. They consume ammonia and convert it into nitrogen gas, producing hydrazine, or rocket fuel, as part of the process known as the anammox reaction.

As well as this story:
NC State Researchers Redesign Life for Mars and Beyond

Researchers at North Carolina State University are looking deep under water for clues on how to redesign plants for life deep in outer space.

Some of the stresses inherent with travel and life in space - extreme temperatures, drought, radiation and gravity, for example - are not easily remedied with traditional plant defenses.

Why is such research needed:

microbiology, have combined their expertise to transfer beneficial characteristics from a sea-dwelling, single-celled organism called Pyrococcus furiosus into model plants like tobacco and Arabidopsis, or mustard weed.

P. furiosus is one of Earth's earliest life forms, a microbe that can survive in extreme temperatures. It grows and dwells in underwater sea volcanoes where temperatures reach more than 100 degrees Celsius, or that of boiling water. Occasionally, the organism is spewed out into near freezing deep-sea water.

By utilizing these very small creatures we can get what we need from the moon or mars insitu resources without the need for large nuclear ractors and banks upon banks of solar panels.

This would allow for man to speed up the process of teraforming and of colonization.

#7 2005-12-09 23:58:27

Play1onTV
Banned

Mars Lands at SHOT

http://www.shot.com/newsdesk.asp

Release and photo at the top of the page.

#8 2005-12-10 01:44:03

Rxke

Hi, Play1onTV, thanks for the link!!
big_smile

#9 2005-12-14 22:53:09

Play1onTV
Banned

Huh?  "my" great leader?  Who's that?

#10 2005-12-15 02:13:52

Rxke

according to sdc1 (or 4, who can say the difference) Robert Zubrin....

#11 2006-01-03 14:54:17

Play1onTV
Banned

Never met him.  Certainly not my boss.  Our initial funding was through the NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts.  Our project is not connected in any way to the Mars Society.

Board footer