New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#151 2005-10-11 16:34:02

Julius Caeser

Re: Cassini-Huygens - NASA/ESA Saturn orbiter & Titan lander

Its past the time of the Dione flyby and yet I havent seen any pics !Dione should be more interesting than Tethys...its past my bedtime and have to accept I'll be checking in tomorrow!So I'm sure Palomar will beat me to it :cry:  wink

#152 2005-10-13 05:17:42

Palomar

*JC, I waited for you.  smile  You posted on the 11th, and it's the 13th.  There are pics rolling in since yesterday [and they are FANTASTIC!].  Some I've snagged this a.m.:

Sunrise on Dione

Closeup #1:  Marbeled effect?

Closeup #2:  Beautiful and weird

Dione, Saturn & Rings #1 [so awesome it doesn't look real]  smile

Dione, Saturn & Rings #2 [oh my!]

Dione eclipsing Rhea [billiard ball twins?  Lol...]

Some of the best photos yet of a Saturnian moon.  Enjoy.  big_smile

--Cindy

::EDIT::  Cratered cliffs of ice on Tethys

Next Titan flyby is October 28.  Cassini will pass within 800 miles of it.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#153 2005-10-14 04:48:00

Julius Caeser

Nice pics....expect more to come ;dont have time to post everyday so i'll let you do all the search and I'm sitting comfortably finding information ready at hand! smile

#154 2005-10-14 06:01:18

Palomar

*Hi JC, no problem.  smile

Best pic of Telesto yet

Another goofy little potato moon.  wink

-*-

Rings above Tethys

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#155 2005-10-15 12:57:22

Julius Caeser

Dione views are splendid!The angle views look like you are actually hovering just above the surface if not on the surface :shock: Havent seen anything like Dione yet;it looks like its been fractured with infilling of the cracks with water ice or stuff.Best flyby of Cassini up to now in my opinion wink   whats in store for halloween!!!

#156 2005-10-17 06:34:30

Palomar

Best flyby of Cassini up to now in my opinion wink   whats in store for halloween!!!

*One thing's for certain:  We'll get more treats from Cassini, and no tricks.  big_smile

Wow:

Mimas, Sunlight Rings & Nightside of Saturn

An awesome photo!

-*-

Mimas & Saturn's Rings

Hmmmmm.  Herschel crater doesn't look as deep in that photo.  Depends on how sunlight is striking/Cassini's angle, I know...but sometimes it looks VERY deep.

-*-

Janus & Rings

See how Saturn's moons love those Rings?  Always posing with them.  wink

--Cindy

#157 2005-10-19 18:30:18

EuroLauncher

Best evidence yet

*...for a shoreline on Titan.  They're calling it "dramatic."  Area measures 1,060 by 106 miles.  This is from Cassini radar, obtained during the latest flyby.  Speculation continues regarding seepage of liquid from the ground and/or ground springs and/or rainfall. 

--Cindy

great story,

you can also read some more shoreline info here
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huy … 9DE_0.html
big_smile

this is a great mission, every week they have produced an amazing report

#158 2005-10-22 07:23:19

Palomar

"They're Here!"

Sounds from Saturn & Co.!  WoooOOOOoooo...just in time for Halloween.

Check out Saturn's Radio Emissions especially; is a very good.

Sounds of Enceladus won't play for me.  Cassini's Wild Ring Ride files (both) are inaccessible at the site.  :-\

Titan sound files may be familiar to some.

--Cindy

#159 2005-10-25 05:24:52

Palomar

Misleading perspective

*Mimas, Rhea and Rings.  Nice shot.

-*-

Framing the C Ring

A portion of Saturn's globe also visible. 

-*-

Another Titan flyby will occur on October 28.  Cassini will fly to within 800 miles of Titan.

--Cindy

#160 2005-10-26 05:29:18

Palomar

Epimetheus & Janus

*Switcheroo moons.  smile

The two moons' orbits are typically about 50 kilometers (30 miles) apart, and the moons actually change orbits every few years: one moon becoming the innermost of the pair, the other becoming the outermost.

--Cindy

#161 2005-10-27 10:33:53

Palomar

Prometheus:  A sculptor of the F Ring

*Cool.   8)

Am pressed for time, will copy and paste highlights:

certain prominent features in Saturn's narrow and contorted F ring can be understood in terms of a simple gravitational interaction with the small moon Prometheus.

Mentions F Ring's "knots, kinks, clumps, streamers," etc.  It's believed the "streamers" are particles from the F Ring which are temporarily actually linked to Prometheus.  "Gores, channels" also mentioned/described.

The...findings show that Prometheus causes the structure as the moon approaches and recedes from the F ring every 14.7 hours, during its orbit of Saturn.

Prometheus, as it recedes from its closest approach to the F ring, gravitationally extracts material from the ring. 

The affected particles do not escape the F ring region; rather, the changes to their orbits produced by Prometheus cause them to oscillate back and forth across the ring.

One orbital period after the encounter, the effect is visible as a dark channel or "gore" in the interior of the F ring, and drape-like structures between the channels ­ in excellent agreement with Cassini images. In this way, Prometheus leaves its mark on the F ring long after the satellite has moved on.

The F Ring always seems "smoky" to me.  It looks especially diaphenous.

Over time Prometheus is expected to dive deeper into the F ring ­ with more extreme perturbations ­culminating in December 2009 when the two orbits approach their minimum separation.

Hopefully Cassini will still be alive and kicking by then, and the mission will continue to be funded.  Last I knew, we've got 4 years after orbital insertion (July 2004).

--Cindy

#162 2005-10-31 08:51:17

Palomar

*Dione's canyonlands:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/cassini/051030dione.html

Rather alluring.  smile

Still waiting for info from the most recent Titan flyby...

--Cindy

#163 2005-11-03 04:42:58

Julius Caeser

Titan radar images in! yikes

#164 2005-11-03 06:56:42

Palomar

Looks like a gecko's head

*Nice pic of Tethys.  Craters are Odysseus (top-most) and Melanthius.  Caption points out that Melanthius seems to have an elongated mountain range within it, rather than a central peak.

-*-

Titan's got cat-scratch fever?

Can see more "cat scratches" in the right-handed image.  Radar imaging of Huygens landing site.

-*-

Tethys & Dione

Love those double-moon shots and would love to see a triple-moon photo.  Yep, can plainly see differences in surface brightness betwixt the two.  tongue

--Cindy

#165 2005-11-05 06:29:12

Palomar

*And now it's time to play

Name That Region On Titan!

with your host, Monty Hall!  ::wild applause:: 

Well, they're being called provisional names anyway.  Dilmun, Shangri-La, etc.  A feature named Santorini Facula.  Is a mosaic of images (an unlabelled version is also available) obtained during October 28 flyby.

North is up.

--Cindy

::EDIT::  Needle-thin Rings

Mimas in the pic, too.

The strongly lit part of Saturn in the lower right is lit by direct sunlight. Northward of the equator, the planet is largely invisible.

#166 2005-11-05 13:23:50

noosfractal
Website

Needle-thin Rings

Mimas in the pic, too.

The strongly lit part of Saturn in the lower right is lit by direct sunlight. Northward of the equator, the planet is largely invisible.

Just beautiful.
_

Fan of [url=http://www.red-oasis.com/]Red Oasis[/url]

#167 2005-11-11 07:38:22

Palomar

*Finally!  A triple moon photo:

Dione, Tethys and Pandora

Double moon photos have been rather commonplace; have been wanting a triple for a long time. 

-*-

Pinwheel spokes in Saturn's outer Rings?

More likely, said Nicholson, is that the small chunks of water ice that comprise the rings are arranged in stripes radiating outward at a skewed angle, like spokes on a pinwheel. The so-called gravitational wakes form when the small objects' gravitational attraction to each other competes with the tendency of tidal forces from Saturn to pull them apart.

"When the wakes are seen almost end on, the A ring appears at its most transparent," said Nicholson, "whereas when the wakes are seen from the side, the ring becomes almost opaque."

--Cindy

#168 2005-11-12 07:25:54

Palomar

#169 2005-11-16 04:17:35

Yang Liwei Rocket

"They're Here!"

Sounds from Saturn & Co.!  WoooOOOOoooo...just in time for Halloween.

Check out Saturn's Radio Emissions especially; is a very good.

Sounds of Enceladus won't play for me.  Cassini's Wild Ring Ride files (both) are inaccessible at the site.  :-\

Titan sound files may be familiar to some.

--Cindy

that's great !!

here's some more images and info from Saturn and the Moons
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/i … geID=54274
http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/spc … 50110b.jpg
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/archive/PIA07749.mov
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap051102.html

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#170 2005-11-16 06:33:32

Palomar

*Hi again YL Rocket.  smile  Thanks for posting those.  The 3rd link wouldn't open for me.  That raw image of Iapetus is compelling.  Half dark, half light.  ::shakes head::  Such diversity "out there."

Graceful lanes of ice

Relax your eyes and sweep them slowly across the photo.  You'll see a shimmering or slightly undulating effect; I do, anyway.  Simply gorgeous.  Such delicate colors.

-*-

Crescent Titan

My favorite photo yet of Titan is the one in which it's back lit.  This photo obtained on Sept. 24.  Still trying to figure out the mystery of the haze:

Looking back toward the sun brings out the thin haze that hovers 500 kilometers (310 miles) above Saturn's moon Titan.

The haze is composed of small particles whose diameter is comparable to the wavelength of light, which is ultraviolet light centered at 338 nanometers.  Particles of this scale scatter sunlight most effectively in the direction opposite to the direction of sunlight.  Scientists are still trying to understand what processes produce this thin, high-altitude haze layer.

-*-

Previously posted...

...but this version is in glorious color.  Dione and edge of Rings.

Keep 'em coming, Cassini!  Fab-u-lous mission.

--Cindy

#171 2005-11-16 14:29:22

noosfractal
Website

It's a Quicktime movie of Cassini's flyby of Dione ...

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalo … r=PIA07749

It really is extraordinary.  I hope they put together more of these.
_

#172 2005-11-16 14:51:29

Palomar

It's a Quicktime movie of Cassini's flyby of Dione ...

It really is extraordinary.  I hope they put together more of these.
_

*Hmmmmm.  Thanks, but still won't work for me on either computer. 

I wish Cassini had constant live IN COLOR feed (yes, I'm aware there's a transmission time delay) which we laypeople could follow on its journeys throughout the days. 

But I shouldn't even say that; I -am- grateful for what we've got with Cassini already.

Now if only I could ride along with it.  Whoops...there I go again...

--Cindy

#173 2005-11-16 15:26:50

SpaceNut
Administrator

Ah I see some of the problem in that this link
is not quite the same as this one
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/archive/PIA07749.mov

The movie file is a 10meg size if you right click on the PIA07749.mov link and select save target as, you will get a dialog box to save the file as what ever file name you want as well as which drive you want it to show up on so that you will get to save the file for later viewing by the quick time player. At least under the files save target function you get to see how far the download of the movie files progress is if it should not function for you.
I hope that helps..

I noticed that even my player wanted to do an update before trying to play it, just hit cancel to get it to start.

It truely is aw inspiring...

The main page gets you access to alot of other images of each planet.

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/index.html

#174 2005-11-16 16:30:00

Julius Caeser

So its not just me who is having trouble seeing the animation! lol

#175 2005-11-16 16:44:49

noosfractal
Website

Thanks, but still won't work for me on either computer.

You may wish to install Quicktime

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

or install the Quicktime codecs for Microsoft Media Player

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Qui … native.htm

(I personally think Quicktime is the better product, but ubiquity hath its virtues)
_

Board footer