New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-07-22 12:14:57

syzygy

Re: Mars sighting!!!

Hey there everybody...check this out.  I dont know if its true but if anybody has any insight to the validity of this email I got it would be greatly apreciated!

MARS SPECTACULAR!

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.   

Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -29 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m.

That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.   

Share this with your children and grandchildren. NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

#2 2005-07-22 12:26:10

Palomar

*Hi.  Welcome to New Mars.

Hey there everybody...check this out.  I dont know if its true but if anybody has any insight to the validity of this email I got it would be greatly apreciated!

--Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

--NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

*Not true.  Read this article:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 … html]Click on me

The matter is being followed http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=471]In this thread.

But please read the article I linked to; it'll disspell those rumors.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2005-07-22 12:33:57

syzygy

Rock on...Thank you!
-x

#4 2005-10-09 00:06:59

Siegfried
Banned
Website

I heard of that!  I looked through my brand new Meade ETX-70 and was quite disappointed.  But I remember it because August 27th was my science teacher's birthday.

By the way, where do I go to introduce myself?  Can't seem to find a thread or forum.

"Doesn't an old thing always know when a new thing comes?"--Spender, [i]The Martian Chronicles[/i]

[img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/Siegfried1126/IWantYou.jpg[/img]
The Empire: Be All I Can Force You to Be!

Board footer